SIGforum
How Did Man Come Into Existence?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6970031174

June 11, 2020, 03:44 PM
H&K-Guy
How Did Man Come Into Existence?
Just like the title says. How did man come into being? Some possibilities could be:

1) God created us.
2) We evolved through evolution.
3) We all just exist as a simulation on someone’s laptop.
4) I am the only one in existence. The rest of you only exist in my mind.
5) We are an alien experiment.
6) Something else.
7) I don't know.

What do you think?

H&K-Guy
June 11, 2020, 03:46 PM
tigereye313

However, there is no spoon.

June 11, 2020, 03:48 PM
erj_pilot

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24
June 11, 2020, 03:52 PM
RogueJSK
#2, while being open to the possibility/likelihood of #1 as a precursor/complement to #2.

As in, the universe may very well be created, designed, and ran by a Creator, but with it also having taking millions of years of evolution, guided by both intelligent design and direct intervention, to get to where we are today.

The ideas aren't mutually exclusive.
June 11, 2020, 04:06 PM
0-0

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20
June 11, 2020, 04:10 PM
C-Dubs
#5 Smile

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
June 11, 2020, 04:12 PM
H&K-Guy
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
#5 Smile

That had me laughing out loud! Too bad I fixed it and now nobody will get the joke.

H&K-Guy
June 11, 2020, 04:19 PM
bigdeal
Personally, I think God created the earth and all its flora and fauna on Monday through Saturday, then went out for a bender with his bros on Saturday night. When he came in hung over to the max on Sunday, he looked at his ToDo list and all that was left was 'man'. And this is what we ended up with.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter
June 11, 2020, 04:24 PM
radioman
Like that Star Trek episode with "Q" where suddenly the first protein is made and it evolves from there.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!
June 11, 2020, 04:29 PM
Warhorse

At age 65 I am much closer to the finish line vs. the starting line. I guess when my time is up, I will be enlightened, or it will just be the "eternal celestial dirt nap" from that Neal Boortz
Citrus Magic commercial he did years ago.

June 11, 2020, 04:30 PM
BurtonRW

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A
June 11, 2020, 04:34 PM
esdunbar
#1, 2, 6, and 7 are all my answers. I don't really understand exactly "what" God is. Sure the Bible talks about him, but as far as form, or whatever, it's all beyond my grasp, that's why 6 and 7 are also part of my answer.

Too many people believe 1 and 2 are mutually exclusive. One of the greatest Popes ever (JP2) broke it down for us:

John Paul issued his encyclical Fides et Ratio (On Faith and Reason), reminding the church that while faith is superior to reason, “there can never be a true divergence between faith and reason, since the same God who reveals the mysteries and bestows the gift of faith has also placed in the human spirit the light of reason.”

And as Pope Francis said, "The evolution of nature is not opposed to the notion of Creation, because evolution presupposes the creation of beings that evolve.”

Either way, it's amazing what happened.
June 11, 2020, 04:35 PM
Ronin101
June 11, 2020, 04:36 PM
sigfreund
“Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.”
— Theodosius Dobzhansky

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy
June 11, 2020, 04:39 PM
mrvmax
#1 You can’t get something from nothing so somebody had to create us.
June 11, 2020, 04:48 PM
senza nome
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:

B. Russell wants to know ... "Who/what created somebody?"

Personally I blame Trelane!
June 11, 2020, 04:49 PM
God

Q

June 11, 2020, 04:51 PM
bigdeal
quote:
Originally posted by senza nome:
quote:

B. Russell wants to know ... who/what created somebody>

Personally I blame Trelane!
Ah, the chicken and egg debate...and before we hit the end of the first page.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter
June 11, 2020, 04:53 PM
zipriderson
quote:
#1 You can’t get something from nothing.

That's not necessarily true - it's just our understanding of our universe at this point in time.
June 11, 2020, 04:54 PM
MikeinNC
I believe in God

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker