SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man builds a pool with a "secret" room built into it:
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man builds a pool with a "secret" room built into it: Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
For those who want to know why......

That video alone has over 8,000,000 views, with all of his other videos adding another couple of million. Youtube monetizes videos. $500 to $7,000 per million views.

They guy can afford to pay professionals to build whatever pool he wishes. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
Does anybody but me wonder how a thin layer of porous concrete (or Portland cement) holds back the water, or how the pressure of the water and weight of the cement for the structure don't collapse into it's self?

I was kinda surprised at that. Was thinking the same thing.

Guy uses one simple tool but films it was a decent camera gear, edits it and uploads it.

Concrete is porous, yes. But we've successfully built plenty of dams out of it.

That isn't a lot of water, and concrete is very strong.

I understand that, but dams are also 10-12 feet thick at their highest point with the lowest stress level, and use engineered steel reinforcement, and built into bedrock. This dude slaps some cement on some bamboo and all of a sudden 1/4 inch of cement is waterproof? Bullshit. At an estimated 5 feet deep, the water is creating little over 2.1 psi, and while an aluminum wall pool can handle it (because it is semi flexible) concrete is not, and at the thickness shown, any flex would crack.

Secondly, for anybody that has worked in cement/ concrete, you would know that the pH in concrete handling it that way (without gloves) would literally eat your hands. When wet, cement and concrete have a pH if about 13, meaning any significant exposure to such an alkaline would do serious damage (in part because your hands are slightly acidic). At very least that is not concrete he is spreading, at the very most this is a highly edited video.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It may not be cement/concrete.

Possibly some type of clay?

People have been making mud/clay/adobe structures for longer than they've been using modern cement or concrete.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Watched it all the way to the end to see if there was a purpose. Well?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:

No, a well is a hole in the ground with the water on the inside.

This is a hole in the ground with the water on the outside.

(Wink)

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Sure...anyone can do it with those modern tools.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:

WWIII survival bunker? I understand water makes a pretty decent shield against radiation.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
It also goes stagnant, attracts all kinds of animals looking for a drink and somewhere cool to hang out, and serves as a killer breeding ground for mosquitoes.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
I understand that, but dams are also 10-12 feet thick at their highest point with the lowest stress level, and use engineered steel reinforcement, and built into bedrock. This dude slaps some cement on some bamboo and all of a sudden 1/4 inch of cement is waterproof? Bullshit. At an estimated 5 feet deep, the water is creating little over 2.1 psi, and while an aluminum wall pool can handle it (because it is semi flexible) concrete is not, and at the thickness shown, any flex would crack.

Secondly, for anybody that has worked in cement/ concrete, you would know that the pH in concrete handling it that way (without gloves) would literally eat your hands. When wet, cement and concrete have a pH if about 13, meaning any significant exposure to such an alkaline would do serious damage (in part because your hands are slightly acidic). At very least that is not concrete he is spreading, at the very most this is a highly edited video.

It's hard to say how thick the walls are exactly. I've done lots of concrete and just felt a bit dried out, even when handling it all day. It certainly heats up, and if for some strange reason you can't rinse with water, sure, you'll get burned.

It's a puzzler, because if it is just mud, and not something that reacts chemically as concrete does, then why construct this? Well, really, it's a goofy project, but without some sort of chemical cure, there is no longevity at all.

Who let him dig a stupid hole for a throwaway project like this anyway? If no one did, then he's shitting on nature with his silly nowhere project.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What did he do with the dirt?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post