SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Truck loaded with 18K pounds of KY Hemp impounded in OK
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Truck loaded with 18K pounds of KY Hemp impounded in OK Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'm amazed that people still think Hemp = Marijuana.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCourage:
Probably need to smoke hemp by the truckload to get high. Thats a big joint.

You can smoke it by the silo load, it won't get you high. It is, however, a usable source of CBD oils used for medical purposes AND that don't get you high AND that can be legally shipped to all 50 states. The OK boys made a mistake.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
During WW2, hemp was planted as a commercial crop for rope production due to overseas fiber being hard to get from the Philippines. You can still run into wild "opportunity" plants along ditches & creeks in the Midwest.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp_for_Victory

When I lived in Missouri, I was not far from the Battle of Lexington site where wet hemp bales were used as moving breastworks to good effect:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...or_the_final_assault

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Seems appropriate:

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
During WW2, hemp was planted as a commercial crop for rope production due to overseas fiber being hard to get from the Philippines. You can still run into wild "opportunity" plants along ditches & creeks in the Midwest.

Exactly that caused a commotion on a nearby farm. The THP landed their helicopter in a field because they thought they had found a MJ grow. Turns out the owners Dad / Grandad had grown Hemp in the WWII era for rope and some seeds washed down into the edge of the field next to a small overgrown creek where they had voluntarily reseeded for decades.

The guy was pretty pissed about them disturbing his high dollar registered cattle and also because they "ordered" him to keep it bush-hogged or to spray and kill it. He told me that he told them to "f" off, nothing illegal here, now get off my property!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
My family used to live in Iowa when I was a kid. My mom loves to talk about the time we were out driving as a family looking for antiques and we drove by a drainage ditch that had MJ plats growing over 7 ft. high for about 100 feet along the ditch. They called the cops to let them know and were told it was hemp and that they (the cops) didn't care to do anything about it since its all over the state. This was in 1974.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Where's the jackoff picture of the cops all standing over it, posing like total wanks, flexing like they just greased bin Laden? Maybe with a couple cell phones thrown in, a stack of cash (mostly singles, but there's a couple 20s in there, yo'!), a pocket knife, and maybe a Bic lighter or two?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
So why were they in OK, why that route?

They were going from KY to CO, and they are on US 60 in Northern OK, now why would you be on a rural highway back roads of Oklahoma,

60 doesn't run to CO, so they'll have to get off and pick another back road to go NW from OK to Denver/Louisville CO.

Why wouldn't they simply take I 70 straight through KS into Denver. Quicker, easier straight shot,

Perhaps they like OK’s low fuel taxes, lowest in the nation.
Perhaps they find avoiding the SL and KS traffic worth it.
Perhaps they wanted to avoid the tolls on I70.
Perhaps they don’t apportion IL.
Perhaps they have family/live/have a girlfriend on that route.
Perhaps they had a big powder order to pick up from Powder Valley.

I don’t see how their choice of route has anything to do with this story. Even truckers should have the freedom to pick the route that best suites them, and should not be viewed suspiciously for the chosen route.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
SIGH... CBD everything is absolutely on a HUGE upswing, and this kinda B.S. will I hope soon become extinct. I make my own CBD oil for very little cost, and I find it helpful as a sleep aid especially, and for my slipped disks.

I buy the raw hemp from:

https://tweedlefarms.com/

Decarboxylate it (basically bake for 45 mins @ 220 deg), and soak in liquid coconut oil for a week or longer. Super simple, and makes a nice product. Interesting to note that by law the hemp must have an avg dry weight % of THC of less than .3%, you CAN however get high from a lot of hemp sold by virtue of decarboxylation of any THC-A in the hemp to THC. Figure 5-7 mg of THC per gram of decarbed plant material, so for many, ingesting 3-8 grams of this decarbed hemp will get you high, to very high depending on the individual.

Run through a mortar and pestal, this decarbed hemp is indistinguishable in appearance to ground cumin, with 5 grams being about a packed Tbs in volume.

A lot of hemp can have 0.0% THC, but have .5-.8% THC-A, thus totally legal in all 50 states... Once decarboxylated, it transforms into nearly all THC at the same %. Same goes for CBD-A, as it transforms into CBD. You can make use of hemp without decarboxylating, if you want to keep the CBD-A.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:

They were going from KY to CO, and they are on US 60 in Northern OK, now why would you be on a rural highway back roads of Oklahoma,

60 doesn't run to CO, so they'll have to get off and pick another back road to go NW from OK to Denver/Louisville CO.

Why wouldn't they simply take I 70 straight through KS into Denver. Quicker, easier straight shot,

Perhaps they like OK’s low fuel taxes, lowest in the nation.
Perhaps they find avoiding the SL and KS traffic worth it.
Perhaps they wanted to avoid the tolls on I70.
Perhaps they don’t apportion IL.
Perhaps they have family/live/have a girlfriend on that route.
Perhaps they had a big powder order to pick up from Powder Valley.

I don’t see how their choice of route has anything to do with this story. Even truckers should have the freedom to pick the route that best suites them, and should not be viewed suspiciously for the chosen route.

Perhaps, then again, perhaps not... Big Grin

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
Thats bootlegging.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Their GPS went up in smoke.

Posts: 12575 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Hemp makes fantastic rope, had 2 75ft+ pieces on the farm that were quite old.

Supple and strong as can be, wouldn't hazard a guess as to how old they were.

I marveled at its qualities after using it with block and tackle to hoist grain bags to the second floor of the hops barn, the old farmer said it's hemp, can't get it anymore.

Stupid that this material isn't available for use.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
It's all over soon. Even the Republicans are behind it now. They realize they need to take it in steps.

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/la...rticle222995730.html

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:

Indeed.
My understanding is pre-WWI, the cotton industry helped get legislation passed to make hemp production illegal and demonized it. Since hemp is a stronger and easier fiber to cultivate, it had all the advantages that cotton couldn't compete with, ergo the industry sought-out its area legislators to make the competition illegal.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GGF
posted Hide Post
MikeMikeMikeMike ... what day is it?!?

HEMP daaayyy! Cool Big Grin

Posts: 698 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:

Indeed.
My understanding is pre-WWI, the cotton industry helped get legislation passed to make hemp production illegal and demonized it. Since hemp is a stronger and easier fiber to cultivate, it had all the advantages that cotton couldn't compete with, ergo the industry sought-out its area legislators to make the competition illegal.

Yep. They used to make car parts out of it. Almost like an early carbon fiber. They even used it for fenders. Like many other things if a competing product Has an owner with enough money they can put a campaign together to kill it. Not quite so much these days but it still happens.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
Typically, something thats legal in state A and legal in state C, is protected during transport through state B by federal preemption in interstate commerce, provided its also legal under federal law. Including items such as silencers, pre 86 machineguns.

Im not sure how Oklahoma can get away with this, unless perhaps theres a federal ban on hemp.

Edited to add: I looked it up, and hemp is federally legal as long as it contains less than 0.3% thc.

I think they are likely to have their case tossed out quick unless that stuff has more than .3% THC. They better hope thats the case, as those in jail would have a good civil rights violation case for being unlawfully detained, in violation of the 4th amendment.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post