SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ben Carson Finds $500 Billion In Errors During Audit Of Obama HUD
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ben Carson Finds $500 Billion In Errors During Audit Of Obama HUD Login/Join 
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
The Daily wire is fake news. It makes WND look good.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
The Daily wire is fake news. It makes WND look good.

True, except this story is also being reported as factual by IVN.us which is rated by Media bias / fact check as a "Least bias" news service (unlike their rating of The Daily Wire) with a factual reporting rating of High.

Not sure that I'd pin this on Obama alone as I'm sure that this shoddy accounting has gone on for decades.

Silent

Posts: 1025 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Here's my shocked face Roll Eyes

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Every single department or agency of the government should be going through a complete anal exam audit.

I agree and it should be done annually.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MPB:
quote:
Every single department or agency of the government should be going through a complete anal exam audit.

No, more often, semi-anally.

This is no time for half-ass measures.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I must admit that when I first read that HUD was being accused of having over $500 billion in errors during and audit, I was somewhat skeptical. After all, how could HUD, whose 2016 budget was around $50 billion, possibly accrue over $500 billion in errors?

A search turned up the HUD OIG's audit. Scoutmaster, if you have time to read through this audit, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how something of this magnitude flew under the radars of those with regulatory and oversight responsibilities as well as federal law enforcement.

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
Ben Carson was the first neurosurgeon to successfully separate conjoined twins, so, he's kind of a super hero.

But apparently, he's also not a bad accountant.

Or perhaps he was simply motivated to find errors.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
I must admit that when I first read that HUD was being accused of having over $500 billion in errors during and audit, I was somewhat skeptical. After all, how could HUD, whose 2016 budget was around $50 billion, possibly accrue over $500 billion in errors?

A search turned up the HUD OIG's audit. Scoutmaster, if you have time to read through this audit, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how something of this magnitude flew under the radars of those with regulatory and oversight responsibilities as well as federal law enforcement.

I've been involved in DoD's efforts to get its Annual Financial Statement (AFS) squared away.

For the last 16 years. There were 11 years before that where it was largely ignored.

The short answer is that HUD was found to be materially deficient in about a dozen major areas of basic bookkeeping. Now "materially deficient" may not sound like a strong statement, but it has a particular meaning in the world of federal financial accounting. That meaning is "Its so fucked up we can't make head or tail of it." (See guidance issued by the Federal Accounting Standards Advisory Board (FASAB)).

I estimate that if HUD is going to correct this, they need to do a DoD-type effort and pump about a billion dollars into improving every aspect of HUD's basic bookkeeping systems.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31431 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
None of the major news outlets have anything about this, including Fox, which I would think would be all over it.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:

I downloaded it, will take a look at it this weekend.

For those who think it is fake, the audit report does deem to come from the official HUD website.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Gallows and rope

We're gonna need a shitload of rope, do we have that much in the country?

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Gallows and rope

We're gonna need a shitload of rope, do we have that much in the country?

Reuse is your friend.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31431 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Not surprised.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

Big Grin

Posts: 8617 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
I vote to eliminate HUD, BLM, etc. and let the States run programs if they wish.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3626 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Ben Carson "found" nothing. The Office of the Inspector General did. Ben Carson inherited these problems and is now responsible for fixing them.

Posts: 10914 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Silent:
Not sure that I'd pin this on Obama alone as I'm sure that this shoddy accounting has gone on for decades.

Silent

If you did then you (and Carson) would be a racist.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by MPB:
quote:

That made me laugh. Half-assed measures/semi annual Big Grin

Luckily Trump has instructed ALL directors/agency heads to do a complete anal exam audit and cut the fat. Trumps two steps ahead.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If this had happened on the republicans watch, the leftist press would be shrieking at the top of their hypocritical lungs; full register chimp screech! Regardless of how long it's been occurring.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post