SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ben Carson Finds $500 Billion In Errors During Audit Of Obama HUD
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ben Carson Finds $500 Billion In Errors During Audit Of Obama HUD Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Ben Carson was the first neurosurgeon to successfully separate conjoined twins, so, he's kind of a super hero.

But apparently, he's also not a bad accountant.

President Trump picked Carson to head the Department of Housing and Urban Development, whose budget grew by leaps and bounds under Barack Obama.

In one of his first acts as HUD Secretary, Carson ordered an audit of the agency. What he found was staggering: $520 billion in bookkeeping errors.

"The total amounts of errors corrected in HUD’s notes and consolidated financial statements were $516.4 billion and $3.4 billion, respectively," the auditors wrote.

But there were plenty of other problems, too.

There were several other unresolved audit matters, which restricted our ability to obtain sufficient, appropriate evidence to express an opinion. These unresolved audit matters relate to (1) the Office of General Counsel’s refusal to sign the management representation letter, (2) HUD’s improper use of cumulative and first-in, first-out budgetary accounting methods of disbursing community planning and development program funds, (3) the $4.2 billion in nonpooled loan assets from Ginnie Mae’s stand-alone financial statements that we could not audit due to inadequate support, (4) the improper accounting for certain HUD assets and liabilities, and (5) material differences between HUD’s subledger and general ledger accounts. This audit report contains 11 material weaknesses, 7 significant deficiencies, and 5 instances of noncompliance with applicable laws and regulations.

The same problems were detailed for each of the last three audits, and the auditors say the continued problems “were due to an inability to establish a compliant control environment, implement adequate financial accounting systems, retain key financial staff, and identify appropriate accounting principles and policies."

So, look for Carson to get out his scalpel and start operating. Or perhaps he'll use a machete.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/...s-during-joseph-curl

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Way to Go.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Nothing new.

HUD books worthless.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a big Carson supporter during the primaries. I believe he is intelligent enough and far enough outside the usual D.C. Slime to get his department under control, make it productive and do so under budget.
An immediate audit is a great first step, let's see how this progresses.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Damn those that have used our government and treasury as their tool and slush fund.

Nice job, Dr. Carson and staff. I expect more of this to come out.

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
You don't say.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
$500 billion? WTF?

That's almost half a trillion dollars.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
$500 billion? WTF?

Last I looked $500 billion is half a trillion dollars. Nothing "almost" about it. Smile

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
$500 billion? WTF?

Build the Wall!
... and let HUD pay for it!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Isn't that roughly what the budget has been for defense spending? The same defense budget that libs always want to cut to fund entitlements. Shoot, rather than cut defense just go look in the chair cushions over at HUD!

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Every single department or agency of the government should be going through a complete anal exam audit.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Gallows and rope

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Safe to assume the $500,000,000,000 (more of an impact with all the zeros) was not in the taxpayers favor?

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
If any of you were to keep your checkbook as badly as the fed.gov does their accounts, an IRS SWAT team would ambush you in your shower.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31440 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
an IRS SWAT team would ambush you in your shower.

That's actually a fantasy of mine, but I digress...

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
What a bunch of bullshit. This is out and out fraud and a bunch of assholes should go to prison for a long, long time.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I saw the article today, mused a bit as I teach college accounting/auditing.

And I am quite confident this is the tip of the iceberg as to Obama's fraud.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I wanted him for POTUS - just to demonstrate to the idiots that it's the ideas, and not the pigmentation.

Carson would make Zero look like the charlatan he is.

Go Ben. I love ya'.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
I saw the article today, mused a bit as I teach college accounting/auditing.

And I am quite confident this is the tip of the iceberg as to Obama's fraud.

Every Demo politician and bureaucrat has a right to be a billionaire. It's right there in the Constitutional penumbras.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Every single department or agency of the government should be going through a complete anal exam audit.

Confused

Couldn't we just do it yearly? Wink

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 10749 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post