SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Comcast internet question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comcast internet question Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
We have been using a broadband provider for the last two years but recently the speed has been getting slower and slower. Comcast finally ran a new line to our house with a box because of a new development across the street. With the box, we are thinking of changing. Any pros or cons to Comcast? In addition, what would you recommend for a modem? We a couple of dedicated TVs plus several wireless devices we would like to use as well for Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.
THANKS!

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
We had the same thing happen to us. As the development grew, the speed would need to be tweaked on their on their end now and then and eventually new line.

Comcast is the debil, but as long I get good speed, I'll keep dealing w/ them. I'm currently getting 90Mbps.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I use Comcast's internet service at 200mbs. I have this modem:

https://www.newegg.com/Product...Item=N82E16825124028

And this Router:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I get flawless internet service. You may not need that speed, so it should be cheaper with a slower package. I'm paying $77/month that includes a basic cable package that I don't even use...had to get the TV bundle to get the 200mbs deal.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
We've had Comcast Business High-Speed Internet service for... wow, going on 8-1/2 years! It's been pretty reliable. I could count the number of out-right outages that lasted long enough to notice on one hand. Except about a year ago or so. That turned out to be a squirrel having bitten-through the drop from the pole to our house.

Mind you: Business Class. There's a massive difference in tech support levels. I don't get "Steve" with a distinctly non-American accent when I call tech. support, for example. And they'll respond to an outage issue 24x7x52.

We always get more than our rated down/up speeds on speed tests. Back when a project called "ShaperProbe" was running, it always reflected we were getting the speeds for which we were paying.

Funny side-story: There's a bit of an issue with the cables running along the street (reminder to self: Call them again about that). When a Comcast Tech. was out looking at it, I mentioned I'd told a new neighbour he should go with Comcast because my business account would improve his connection reliability. "Yup," replied the tech. "In fact you're near the end of this cable, so you're improving a bunch of subscribers' uptimes." Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
We have had comcast for almost 12 years. I hate them with a passion. Constantly raising prices. Our speeds suck (big sub division). But until recently, its the best we could get.

Next friday we are getting Google Fiber. I will take great pleasure returning our equipment and telling them what I think of them.

They must be concerned. They have been sending reps around the neighborhood offering to increase speeds and drop prices by 60 a month. I asked why? They will raise my bill back to 200 a month in a year.

Posts: 7395 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I use Comcast's internet service at 200mbs. I have this modem:

https://www.newegg.com/Product...Item=N82E16825124028

And this Router:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I get flawless internet service. You may not need that speed, so it should be cheaper with a slower package. I'm paying $77/month that includes a basic cable package that I don't even use...had to get the TV bundle to get the 200mbs deal.

I have the same router and a Comcast Cisco supplied modem with a 90 mbs download speed. I stream a lot of media with zero problems or hiccups. I've had to contact support a few times and I received superior service from them. Yeah, they are a little pricey but I'm sticking with them regardless.

By the way the Netgear R7000 router is the bomb. Very secure and I get very high service 150 feet in any direction on our property. I highly recommend it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Comcast Sucks is the Name of my SSID...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
When some of you say the suck, it poor service or because you routinely get slow speeds? I’m paying $60 a month for up to 13 mbps and routinely only get 5-7. For the same price I’m 30-120 mbps. Even if I was towards the lower end, I’d be doing much better.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
It matters not which ISP you choose, you will find people that say they suck. Usually it's due to repeatedly poor customer service. Often because they fail to find and fix performance or reliability problems in a timely manner. Other times because of a price bump.

I think in some cases the customer service being good/bad/indifferent is a regional thing. In some areas it's better, in other's it's worse.

Hard for me to tell, because, being a business customer, I get a higher level of CS. Nearly all the horror stories I read are for residential customer service.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I was with them for 3 years. I paid for an unlisted phone number, but they published it anyway.

I wasted many, many hours on the line with their tech support trying to fix issues with their services. Every time I called I had to start from the beginning. Every time it was always another solid hour wasted.

They didn't seem to care to fix any of the issues until after I left. Since then they have offered me up to $500, many times, to sign up again. A few years ago I told a sales guy, who was standing on my porch, he could offer me $1,000 cash and I was still not interested.

The internet provider I went with has been 100% reliable. It works and I haven't had to think about it other than when I upgraded my modem and speed a few years back.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I went to Comcast in 2012 after problems with two other IP in the past. I went with a 2nd from the bottom lower end 12 or 14 Mbps plan back than. Since than the cost have gone up $17 dollars per month but my speed has gone up to around 62.9 - 63.1 Mbps down load and 6.0 - 6.79 Mbps upload. More than happy with what I ended up with and almost no problems.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Service here has been outstanding. Speed about 100 Mbps in my condo. You absolutely need to use a modem on their list. I have an Arris SBG7580-AC. It matters for service, speed and reliability.

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Been a Comcast customer since they brought high speed internet into town. Up until year before their service was reliable. It has been a battle ever since. Internet will go down for days. The techs on the phone blame my connection. We only want the basic package and internet and after a couple months they almost double the price. The local manager told me I have to come in every couple of months an sign up for a new package to keep the price down. I would love to chuck them but they are the only high speed internet in town. May sign up for unlimited with Verizon and test the streaming.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I think where you are located makes a big difference, where are you??

I'm in S Florida, and they are essentially the only game in town.
Have them at business and at home.
ONCE IT IS SET UP, which will take a few weeks and 2-3 service calls and bitching, it runs.

Then it runs and runs and runs. A few blips a few times a year but for the most part, the equipment works well and the lines are stable.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I don't like them - overpriced and my speed always slows.
But, my only other option here is 6MB Frontier DSL.

I'd drop Comcast in a second if there was another decent provider in the area.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16513 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:
I think where you are located makes a big difference, where are you??

I'm in S Florida, and they are essentially the only game in town.
Have them at business and at home.
ONCE IT IS SET UP, which will take a few weeks and 2-3 service calls and bitching, it runs.

Then it runs and runs and runs. A few blips a few times a year but for the most part, the equipment works well and the lines are stable.

I’m in UT. They are putting in a new development across the street from my house so a neighbor got them to run their new lines to our street as well. They put a huge ugly Comcast box, the main one, in my front yard so I’m going to assume I would have a good connection if I switch.

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
We've had Comcast internet since 2010. Since then they have increased speed several times with no increase in cost. Started out around 50 Mbps and currently get 125 Mbps down and 12 Mbps up speed. I can't remember any internet outages, our main problem is power blinking and needing to reset our router afterwards.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had them since time began. Overall performance and price are so-so. But support has been stellar. As noted above I have and you want a business account. I call and they get to work on solving the issue 7x24. Including delivering new modem (I rent it (more $) but also puts responsibility on them) 3am on a weekend. I also have Comcast cable TV. I call and they truly don't care.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post