Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Null Login/Join 
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
I don't know your particular situation but I'm going to guess you don't do your own mechanical work. In which case, go buy the other truck.

There's been a couple of threads here along these lines. I am willing to bet the "No, Keep It" crowd spins their own wrenches while the "Buy Another" crowd...well, goes buys another or takes to the local shop/dealer/neighbor for maintenance/repairs. It's all good; just thought I'd get that thought out.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My practice has always been until the cost to fix it exceeds the value keep driving.
You don't wear these trucks out.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If money isn't an issue... the newer truck.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
I’ve got an 05 Tahoe hitting 190k now bought in 07 with 20k other than tires batteries and an alternator runs and just keeps running. 300k is nothing on trucks today.

Posts: 2770 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I've always operated under the premise that as long as maintenance costs per month/year are less than a new car note OR if the old truck doesn't strand you someplace, then keep the old truck. I have a 1997 Toyota Corolla DX that has just under 187,000 miles on it. It runs great and I'm going to look into getting it painted by a shop my mechanic recommended. That might cost me up to $2,500, but it'll look great and that's NOTHING compared to the cost of a "new" used vehicle that I only use to drive to the airport and back once a week.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure the newer one is an improvement in utility compared to old. The taco I don't think has changed as much as the SilvChevy over the models considered.

I went from '06 Silverado to a new '17 Silverado in Sept'17. The '06 beats the new one in maneuverability and is a wash in general usefulness. But Full size trucks seem to be changing faster than compact trucks.

You have to make sure the new one is indeed better. Newer is nicer in many regards. If you can really afford it and want it go for it.

You might want to hang on to fix the cosmetics and major mechanicals to get top dollar for it. Taco's bring good money.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
It’s not so much the mileage of my current Tacoma that concerns me, but the age. 2006 was a long time ago. I expect in the near future to have rubber seals dry, vacuum hoses crack, coolant hoses leak...plus the water pump, and whatever is going on with the steering rack...each time one of these things fail, it’s more money and more time without the truck while it gets fixed. And I really don’t want to play that game every few months for the next few years.

I own a '97 Land Cruiser, and I can say that all of the above will be happening. Your best bet is to itemize what the hoses will run you and figure all of that into your "keep it" costs. I do much of my own work, replacing radiators, fixing oil leaks that require removing a buttload of crap off the front of the motor, etc, but if you aren't into that, figure your labor costs as well. If you have a friend to call over to help do it yourself, better to do it all at once and be done with it.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
The newer truck just means that it's on its way to similar repairs.

I have a an exact/similar truck, a 2010 Tacoma TRD (my second one in a row) and it does not have the problems of the OP, no body damage either. Tacomas are not known for being problematic, in fact quite the opposite. My last Tacoma had 200k on it and when I traded it in, it was still in good shape. From what I read with other owners, I expect the same with my current one as well.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
It’s not so much the mileage of my current Tacoma that concerns me, but the age. 2006 was a long time ago....

Yup...I get it. My Corolla is 20+ years old. But through the years I've replaced those hoses, seals, timing belts, water pumps, etc. It's just normal maintenance and as someone stated, those things will happen to a brand new truck eventually.

The key is, don't wait until you have to do EVERYTHING at once...way too much $$$. Instead, do it little by little. Do the hoses now. In 6 months, do the seals. In between, you can put money aside for anticipating that cost and you'll be able to pay mostly cash for those repairs. Believe me...in the long run you'll pay waaaaaaay less to repair your old one. I don't see you paying $15-$20k on repairs, which is what I'm speculating a "new" used truck would run. Or maybe it's more, depending on what you're considering for the replacement.

I know I'm gonna shed a tear or two when I have to buy new tires for the Venza. That's gonna be some moolah.... Eek

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
My '06 Tundra has 343,000 miles. Your Tacoma's just getting warmed up. In it's current condition, it's likely not worth near the KBB figure you quoted. Remember, KBB doesn't buy cars. It's probably worth more to you than you can get, an appraisal at Carmax is a quick way to determine the ballpark, it'll be a little tough to sell to a private party as it sits. Remember, the cheapest way to own a vehicle is to drive it until the wheels fall off, the trick is to understand you've reached that point before spending the money on the repair that was one too many.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you've established your reasons for getting a newer truck.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I guessing your 06 has a 4.0L engine and auto transmission. The 4.0 is a solid power plant although not the most efficient as to MPG. It is still used today in the 4Runner. It should reach 250,000 miles with ease provided the maintenance is kept up which you've obviously done.

The 2014 you're looking at will also likely have the 4.0L engine unless... ugh it has a 4 banger in which case I'd run from that. The 2015 was the last year for generation 2 Tacomas, so a low mileage 2014 will not last long on the market.

I say go for the 2014 and dispose of the 06 which ever way brings in more cash with the least PITA. Sell as is or fix up and sell.

T

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
My 2002 F150 recently developed a terminal knock at about 160k miles. We’re not sure why that happened at only that mileage but it did and it was a bummer. After exploring options I opted to have a remanufavtured engine installed. It was about $3,000 including labor, which we could swing cash. The cost of replacing with a slightly newer truck of the same relative utility would have been at least 3 times that and I stil would have been in a 10 year old truck at least with probably at least 100k. It made sense to commit to driving it until it’s well truly dead and invest the 3k. I really like not having a car payment.

Plus I have a 3 year engine warranty now.

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
Still driving my 1970 Ranger XLT, does not owe me a penny and still good times. Cost me $1.00 a pound in 1972!

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Payments on $26k at today's interest rates for used vehicles is approximately $500.00 a month for 60 months. I understand you can sell your truck for a down payment, but you'll never get close to KBB with the body damage, etc. you listed. Even with that and even if you're able to pay cash, the math simply doesn't add up to me to replace a truck with less than 100k miles on it.

As has been said, 100k on a Tacoma is barely broken in. Seals/gaskets don't normally dry up if a vehicle is being used on a regular basis, and even if you're worried about leaks, you could have the pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, and every hose/belt replaced for well under $1,000.00. You'd be under $500.00 to have the power steering pump replaced (if it's even that, probably a hydraulic line).

Were it me, I'd fix the mechanical issues (forget the cosmetics), replace every belt, hose, bulb, etc. if it gives you peace of mind and drive it until the wheels fall off.

I'm driving a 1999 Suburban that just hit 118k miles. I've had to do some maintenance over the years (water pump, radiator, fuel pump, belts/hoses, brakes, o2 sensors, etc.) but I haven't had a payment in over 10 years.

Posts: 1811 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
I’ve got an 05 Tahoe hitting 190k now bought in 07 with 20k other than tires batteries and an alternator runs and just keeps running. 300k is nothing on trucks today.

I agree... and I've got an older Tahoe sitting in my garage as well. The 5.7 vortec V8 is a champ. I think it could run forever. The only problem is rust. I had it inspected in December for renewal and I had an exhaust leak where the converter connected to the exhaust pipe. A gasket had to be replaced. The gasket was only $17, but the bolts had rusted so badly that it was impossible to get them off without drilling them out. If you drive on salty roads you're going to have rust underneath.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
Toyotas are well known for lasting until they rust away if the owner performs even partial routine maintenance.

I replaced my 2002 MT Tacoma 4WD last September; only 48K miles on it - engine was still strong. But I started to get the "Check Engine" light more and more; e.g., the O2 sensors, and RUST (thank you VDOT for all the salt and brine you put down on the roads) - even after having it Ziebart'd when I first bought it.

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:

I agree... and I've got an older Tahoe sitting in my garage as well. The 5.7 vortec V8 is a champ. I think it could run forever. The only problem is rust. I had it inspected in December for renewal and I had an exhaust leak where the converter connected to the exhaust pipe. A gasket had to be replaced. The gasket was only $17, but the bolts had rusted so badly that it was impossible to get them off without drilling them out. If you drive on salty roads you're going to have rust underneath.

My 04 Tahoe has the 5.3L Vortec and I've got around 280K miles on it at this point. I've had to do little stuff each of the last few years (fuel pump, catalytic, etc.) but it's still costing me less than $1,000/year in maintenance and repairs and it's never been anything that my mechanic hasn't been able to knock out in a day. Every time something happens, my wife says, "don't you think it's time to get a new one..." but I just don't see the logic in replacing it at this point. After 14 years together, I'm also kind of partial to it.

Posts: 696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
If that type of wear is what you've got on your 06, then hell yes stay with it. I gleaned from your original description that you had some major dents. Most of those little scratches on this 2014 can easily be rubbed out and the little rust can be addressed pretty easily as well. But yeah, 28K is just silly for a 4 year old truck. You could probably get a new 2018 for around $33 - $34k.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
Apparently you're extremely picky about your trucks. And that's as it should be; you pay good money for it and you should feel good about it.
But it is a truck. To me and I'm sure others they are not just transportation, but a tool. I haul firewood, motorcycles, whatever I need to and if it gets scratched, so be it. I won't consider getting rid of one until it hits 300,000 miles or so. And if it's holding up for my purposes I'll keep it. My last truck got 374,000 miles on it before the frame rusted so badly it broke. And were it not for my job I'd have had it welded and re-aligned.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post