Null

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dwd1985,

Posts: 4454 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
make the trade.

Posts: 4693 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
make the trade.

+1
Sounds like a good time.... while there's still a good amount of value in your older truck.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24055 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Let her go. It’s a piece of equipment. Reliablity is important.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd have to advise making the trade. I just reached that point myself. 2004 Silverado purchased new, driven for nearly 220,000 miles was reaching that point where repair and replacement episodes were becoming more frequent and threatening to be more costly. I traded it in on a newer model 2 weeks ago. It was time.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I would definitely get the 2014. I hate being nickel and dimed by my vehicles.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
93K miles on a 12 year old Toyota isn't many miles. Less than 8K per year.

Toyotas are well known for lasting until they rust away if the owner performs even partial routine maintenance.

Some things to consider:
Is the transfer case issue typical of the model or a sign of abuse?

Is the steering leak in any way related to the other issue? Four wheeling can be hard on things.

Is money really not an issue? While KBB says you can pull $12K, be honest, is it worth that? How long will it take to get that? From a numbers point of view, spend $4K or spend $14K. Do you have $10K to spare? Would you need to finance the $14K? Do you have the $4K?

Are you using the truck within its abilities and your abilities or are you constantly pushing the limits?

My last truck(2005 frontier) went 250K miles and I drove it every day like I stole it. Hard accelerations and rapid decelerations. Aggressively getting where I wanted to go. I changed the fluids and tires and that's about it. It made cross country trips, pulled my 19'RV, and occasionally went four wheeling. I sold it for $3K, the new owner put cam shaft position sensors in it, and will likely see to past 300K.

Ultimarely the choice will be yours, but be honest with yourself when making the decision. It's okay to want different. It's okay to not want to hassle with repairs. Just be sure to look at the biggest picture possible.

--damn, I sound like some old dude... Smile

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
If you tried to sell it as is, you wouldn't get anywhere near KBB.

If you fix it up and DO get KBB, you're still in the hole.

I'd check to see what it's worth trade-in as is and make the decision from there.

If you can fix everything that's wrong with it for $4k I'd say that's the way to go. 100,000 is nothing these days.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
You put it to good use, sounds like it's time to move on.

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The present repairs will cost you either way as PHPaul said so they shouldn't factor in to you decision.
The mileage isn't very high as vehicles like that could be expected to run fine and reliably for a couple of hundred thousand miles with good maintenance. Depreciation at this point is minimal compared to a newer version and insurance costs less too.
If it were me, I'd do the repairs and drive it for several more years. This is strictly a financial decision, not an emotional one.
If you really want the newer one and the $14,000 doesn't cramp your budget than that's your answer.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
My suggestion is also to go with the 14.
Tacoma are great vehicles.
I've owned a 94, 96, 11 and presently drive a 16.
Will replace it, with a 19, next year.
They all have been economical, dependable daily drivers.
Current one is a V6, SR5 with tow package.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
Thanks for all of the responses. I'm actually surprised, I figured I would have more responses similar to ffips, urging me to fix/keep the old one.

I was already leaning towards the "new" Tacoma, so you guys are helping to keep pushing me in that direction.

Don't misunderstand my post. I am simply saying be honest with yourself and make the best decision based on what you know. Smile Look at it from all angles.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a small biz with many vehicles so this opinion is slightly biased to getting the most bang for the buck out of a reliable vehicle.

300K is the new 100K for good units which you have there.

It’s just broken in imo.

That being said if cash isn’t that big of a deal to you then pass it on.

I didn’t read your entire thread so if you already made your final decision i’m sorry for the late post.

Just 1 opinion.

John 3:16
Sig 224,228,229,220,226,1911's, 938,220 carry, 239, 365, 225, 210. I come here because my addiction looks ok compared to your collections : )

Posts: 387 | Location: Indy area | Registered: December 05, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I was going to say keep it but the body damaged tossed me over to the other side. I have 256 k on my 07 f 150 put a transmission in it and a starter, body is in great shape so I'm keeping it, if something major goes out on it I might just replace the engine or whatever, the new trucks are just so freaking high I just have a hard time paying it. I might add I changed my spark plugs at 100 k

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
If I were in your position, I'd fix it. The newer truck just means that it's on its way to similar repairs. Repair your old truck, and the timer for those repairs are reset. The price difference between the two trucks can probably keep your old truck running forever.

If you are going to upgrade, you should upgrade to something more current, rather than something so similar to your current truck.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I'd keep the one you know.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Question I asked myself was would the used truck value go up with repairs. Or another way is what would it cost to buy your truck functioning?

In my case I would have spent nearly $3000 to repair a truck that could be bought all day long for $2800.

If you can comfortably do it upgrade.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5147 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My buddy had a 2004 taco ( last year or smaller body) 4wd manual. 186k and never changed clutch or water pump so you know that was coming sold it (as in had the cash in his hand and signed away the pink slip) in 12 hours for 8k and had 20 guys email him in that day wanting to buy it he probly could have started a bidding war. I bet you could move yours quickly.

Posts: 4753 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
As others have said, I'd upgrade to something newer if the finances work for you;otherwise, payout a few thousand & your truck will probably last another 100,000.

If it was me and even if I could afford a new truck...I'd fix up the truck & run it until it dies.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2001 Tacoma with 195k on it. Still runs like a top. If the decision were mine on a similar truck, I would fix the truck and figure myself ahead 10k dollars. Mine is the manual trans, king cab 4WD. It is a great truck.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post