SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Feedback on a job like this
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feedback on a job like this Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
I'm not going to apply but I am doing my MBA with a concentration in consulting. Does the MBA put me in line with a job like this:

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/524242761/

It's a management consulting job.

quote:
BA/BS required
MBA is a plus
Top 5 consulting experience is a plus
Prior management consulting experience is required

We are seeking a management consultant who is passionate about the business and the intellectual challenge that it offers. The person we seek has at least 2-15 years of successful management consulting experience performing strategic analysis and, or, operations improvement projects for one or more of the larger, well known consultancies. You will work with other team members on site and communicate with our clients. You will ensure the rigor and underlying logic of the team’s findings, optimize the analytical storyline and develop superior, easy to comprehend documentation.

Simultaneously, you will help the managing directors further standardize the field tasks and related work product with the objectives of: reducing analytical cycle time, lowering field labor costs and reducing document rework and editing. As you become more familiar with our templates, you will also contribute to the refinement and extension of our findings and tools database/website which includes benchmarks, best practices and thousands of business process maps.

Was thinking about my Lean Six Sigma certification after I finish my MBA, too.

Posts: 13108 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
It should. Give me a call. I just had a friend picked up for a 1099 consulting gig teaching project management to fortune 100 companies that will pay her pretty well. You might want to speak with her about it.

I'd be happy to make the introduction.

ETA: I can also put you in touch with a veteran who is leaving Deloitte in Longwood who has a bunch of good connections.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12772 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
You'll probably need actual experience in the field before that role would be possible, though sometimes on real large projects they just need capable enough bodies and they'll overlook the lack of real experience. (I've spent about 20yrs doing those exact things).

All the certs and degrees in the world don't mean much without actual experience, so you might need to start as a regular Analyst or something first and work your way up, though it certainly varies a lot from firm to firm and project to project and industry to industry.

Most fresh grads, MBAs or not, SixSigma or not, are useless as a third tit until you've done the job itself a bunch. Much like fresh Butter Bars with no real ARMY experience, all text book, etc, and there's a vast gulf between classroom and reality on all such projects.

Great career though, and I've no doubt you'll be good at it. Best of luck.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least 2-15 years of experience?

I think there is a radical difference between 2 years of experience and 15 years of experience.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
I think there is a radical difference between 2 years of experience and 15 years of experience.

Well, 15-2 = 13, which is an odd number and a prime number, but it is not a radical. If you want it to have a property that starts with "r," it is a rational number and a real number, as well.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
^^^^You must be grading finals...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12772 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
What kind of MBA specialty is consulting? Consultants are hired to provide expertise in a specific field, not the field of consulting.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
You'll probably need actual experience in the field before that role would be possible, though sometimes on real large projects they just need capable enough bodies and they'll overlook the lack of real experience. (I've spent about 20yrs doing those exact things).

All the certs and degrees in the world don't mean much without actual experience, so you might need to start as a regular Analyst or something first and work your way up, though it certainly varies a lot from firm to firm and project to project and industry to industry.

Most fresh grads, MBAs or not, SixSigma or not, are useless as a third tit until you've done the job itself a bunch. Much like fresh Butter Bars with no real ARMY experience, all text book, etc, and there's a vast gulf between classroom and reality on all such projects.

Great career though, and I've no doubt you'll be good at it. Best of luck.

I do have about 4 years of consulting company and platoon size elements as an Observer Controller/Trainer in the Army. Have worked with Infantry, Artillery and Logistics units. I concentrate on the company commander and platoon leaders.

Help them self discover, reduce inefficiencies, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
What kind of MBA specialty is consulting? Consultants are hired to provide expertise in a specific field, not the field of consulting.

Management consulting. I wasn't specific enough.

Posts: 13108 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Monday - Thursday travel 48 weeks a year? Yuck.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I think the ad is searching for people who are in the top consulting agencies to siphon off.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19657 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post