SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Sigforum Compendium of Household Tasks: A List of Stuff That Needs Getting Done.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Sigforum Compendium of Household Tasks: A List of Stuff That Needs Getting Done. Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Lube garage door spring annually. There is a spray lube designed especially for this, available at home improvement stores everywhere.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
Check your sump pump to make sure it's still in working order.

Posts: 321 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Go through refrigerated and non refrigerated food checking expiration dates.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Run the defrost cycle on your ice maker, maybe every 6 months?

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
Monthly vehicle inspection for brake lights, tail lights and turn signals.

Posts: 5736 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Check that damn A/C. I forgot last year and found 'this' on all 4 sides this afternoon.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12322 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Never let the garage fridge run out of beer.

#1 for all of us. Everything else is #2. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Secure power and clean leaves and debris from the heat pump.

If you have a crawl space, check for any plumbing leaks under the house.

Spring forward, fall back all your clocks.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I need to make a list of all these things, to see what I am missing (most of it).

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Check that damn A/C. I forgot last year and found 'this' on all 4 sides this afternoon.

What in God's green earth is going on in this picture?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20816 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

What in God's green earth is going on in this picture?

Cottonwood my friend, a year-and-a-half's worth of cottonwood. AKA a compressor killer. $$$

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12322 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I did not see this yet:

Drain a couple of gallons from the hot water heater. I do it near October.

Pull your free credit report once every 4 months from the 3 credit agencies on a rotating basis.

Use a tickler file to remind yourself of your regular tasks.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19656 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I'll add one for those of us living in the woods, Clean the filter in your septic system every 6 months.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6486 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check the furnace air filters every month when you make the utility payment.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
A bump for checking your home HVAC condenser foils before you turn it on for the season!

I only did it once last year, and didn’t think about it in the fall. I checked it today, and holy smokes was it thick with cotton.

Kicking myself for not thinking about it last year a second time, definitely an expensive fix if you let it go.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I drain and flush my water heater annually-and document it on the tank with a sharpie.

Check the anode then too.

Replace all washer hoses on 5 year cycle..you’ll notice they are guaranteed for 5 years from the factory….nothing sucks worse than a few inches of water in the house when you get back from somewhere.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have trees, look at them from all four directions,
Up close and from 60 feet away.

If you have not had an arborist to look at them, do so.
Especially trees overforty years old.

Maybe you need some trimming maybe more.

Not just for your property but your close neighbors as well.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54622 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that spring has finally (hopefully) arrived:
Check over your snow removal gear prior to summer storage. If you fed the birds all winter, take down your feeders and give them a good scrub.
Clean the winter off your car, inside and out.
Check over your outdoor grill and patio furniture.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post