SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Sigforum Compendium of Household Tasks: A List of Stuff That Needs Getting Done.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Sigforum Compendium of Household Tasks: A List of Stuff That Needs Getting Done. Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Clean ceiling fan blades and any floor fans monthly.

Clean pool filter every other week in winter, weekly in the summer, fill the floating chlorinator weekly.

Restock pool bar with Margarita mix and tequila

Posts: 23436 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Clean window frame as needed and ensure weep holes are clear.

Check chimney and exhausts of infrequently used fireplaces, I occasionally get birds trying to build nests on my gas fireplace exhaust.

Monthly Make sure emergency items are still in place and usable. Flashlights tend to get relocated or batteries die. Fire extinguishers get ignored etc.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Replace and retreat water in barrel storage every 5 years.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Clean grease trap in range hood monthly.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Oil changes for small engines (generators, power washers, lawn mowers) at least once per year, usually just before storage for the season.

Run the fuel tanks dry and top off with fresh stabilized fuel.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
<snip>
Annually clean the seals on the bottom door of your dishwasher with clr or vinegar. When these get gunked up the dishwasher will leak and make a huge mess.

I use Dishwasher Magic in both my dishwasher and front load washing machine every month. Random trivia,front load machines should have the door open when not in use. Otherwise moisture gets trapped in the rubber gaskets.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Pull refrigerator and vacuum condenser fan quarterly.

Either via the cloud or an external drive, ensure that you are backing up your computer and devices on a regular basis.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remove your hoses from hose bibbs this time of year to avoid heartaches!!!!

Oil those motors on your boiler, furnace and pumps if they are the type that need it.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Inspect and replace water hoses at sinks, toilet, washing machine, refridgerator, etc with braided steel hoses as needed.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Monthly, Pour a cup of vinegar into the air conditioner's drain line.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Get a new Welcome Mat every 3-4 months. Old mats are ugly.

Wash and dry your windows.

Make sure your house numbers are in good shape. An ambulance may waste precious time looking for you.

Don’t be cheap, keep a new-ish toilet seat in the guest bathroom , as well as nice towels, and plenty of TP on hand.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Graphite for all door locks.

Posts: 5301 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Change the house water filter (if so equipped).

Make sure the attic and/or crawl space entry doors are not obstructed.

Use LED Christmas lights as they don't generate as much heat and dry out the tree as fast (fire hazard).

Make an emergency escape plan with your entire family.

Luuk under the sinks, etc... for leaking pipes and valves (Cheaper than replacing the subfloor).

Visually inspect water heater(s) for rust, leaks, and corrosion. 240v and water make for a bad day.

The drain pan in the refrigerator may need some attention.

Make sure your UPS is fairly new in case of a power surge or temporary outage.

The flue in the chimney may need cleaning now that the birds have hatched and flew away.

Clean gutters to rid of any fallen leaves or blockages now to prevent ice dams during the snow storms.

Don't forget to drink your Ovaltine.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Turn off your outdoor water spigots inside and drain before winter freeze.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Graphite for all door locks.

^^^^^^^^
Houdini works better for locks. Clean gutters of debris.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check your sprinklers every 6 months and make sure they're all flowing, no broken off heads, and make sure grass hasn't grown over them. Especially for those in the South that water all year round and have St. Augustine grass.

Open all windows and re-close them every 2 months, spray silicone on the gaskets, and lubricant (also like CLP for this) on the hinges and arms that move at the joints.

Run all water sources inside the house once a month to keep the drain traps full. A lot of us have guest bathrooms that rarely get used.

I like breakfree CLP for door locks and hinges.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every November, check over your snow removal equipment and do any maintenance needed.
Also in October or November, check out and clean all registers and air vents.
Twice a year, pull out the stove and clean behind and under it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Check and pay property taxes.

Review homeowner's policy.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
If your water heater has one, check and/or replace the sacrificial anode.

Check under every sink or other plumbing fixture that has a water line for slow leaks. If something like this is hidden in a cabinet, you may not notice a leak for quite some time.

Clean screen/filter in your septic tank, if you have one. This is also a good time to consider getting it pumped.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Back up your computer. Set a schedule that suits you, and stick to it. There have been whole threads dedicated to the different ways of doing this. The important thing is to make it a calendar item.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post