SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    car tire fact I did not know
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

car tire fact I did not know Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I believe that from my experience, the tire shine stuff shortens the life of the tire. I quit using it several years ago and have less sidewall cracking and weathering.

Correct.

Someone mentioned "303 Aerospace Protectant." I've been in aerospace for a long time, and I can't ever remember any manufacturers recommendation to use such a product, from the smallest aircraft to the biggest, slowest to some of the faster...never. The ONLY time I've ever used it on an aircraft was during a display or for certain inspections, and only then for the benefit of appearance.

As for tire life, mileage is about wear, but not tire life. I work with a lot of tires that get worn out and then re-tread; we can go five times. The limiting factor becomes sidewall life. Tires take the load in sidewall flex; it's flex that causes heat buildup, and it's heat that leads to tire failure. It's also the reason that driving on underinflated tires leads to tire failures; excess sidewall flex, and tire failure.

Leaving tires in the sun can result in damage from UV, but paste-on coatings don't fix that. Far better if the tire is going to sit stationary for extended periods in the sun to get tire covers, or put the vehicle inside.

A lot of people don't realize that mileage isn't the only factor with their tires, just as it isn't the only factor with oil changes...which should be done every 3-4 months even if the car hasn't driven a single mile. Calendar time plays into longevity of parts and maintenance intervals, every bit as much as operating hours, conditions, and miles.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post