SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    car tire fact I did not know
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

car tire fact I did not know Login/Join 
posted
according to the tire seller anyway.

I went back the tires shop to have the lugs re torqued and told him that the new tires made for a 30% better ride , on my LeSaber.

He told me that the o.e.m. general tires were way past due to be changed.

Per the salesman:
At eight years of age , the side walls of most tires are 45%-60% worn out , and its the side walls that account for 75% of the ride quality.

My 13 y.o. tires should have been swapped out in 2013, even if they had 28,000 miles on them.

my tires had 33,000 miles on them and just under 1/2 of the tread used.

had I known that the sidewalls had anything to do with anything , I'd have made the change last year.

I really like the new ride with the new goodyear tires

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Makes sense, but could be a sales tactic.

At 8 years I would be worried about dry rot anyway. I had a set on a vehicle once that was rarely driven. Tires were 6 years old with plenty of tread, but they were starting to crack.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
10 years is generally considered the life of modern tires regardless the mileage, but it can vary depending on driving habits, temperature/weather, and how the vehicle is garaged/parked.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I can see the truth in that. It's also a good idea (IMO) to buy from a shop that sells a lot of tires so you're more likely to get fresh ones.

Here's a link to the date code on tires, in case you haven't seen it before.

https://www.tirebuyer.com/educ...he-age-of-your-tires

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Tire sidewalls wouldn't wear out, at least in the same way the tread wears, because they don't contact the road surface. They certainly do become dry-rotted and can become softer or stiffer.

My brother put a set of high-dollar Michelins on his truck circa 2009. The tread has virtually no wear, mostly because he doesn't drive it all that much, but there is a great deal of cracking on the sidewalls. Although these are at least eight years old, Michelins tend to dry-crack the sidewalls prematurely, so much so that Michelin has a little chart to gauge the amount/severity and determine what they think is or is not acceptable.

Posts: 27921 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Anyone know if the tire shine stuff does anything to extend life, or is there some kind of rubber conditioner that can be applied. My five year old tires have zero wear, but very small cracks starting to form. I'd like to try and not replace them before I sell in a few years.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
None of the local chains around me will touch a tire over 10 years old for anything other than replacement.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I believe that from my experience, the tire shine stuff shortens the life of the tire. I quit using it several years ago and have less sidewall cracking and weathering.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Tire sidewalls wouldn't wear out, at least in the same way the tread wears, because they don't contact the road surface. They certainly do become dry-rotted and can become softer or stiffer.

My brother put a set of high-dollar Michelins on his truck circa 2009. The tread has virtually no wear, mostly because he doesn't drive it all that much, but there is a great deal of cracking on the sidewalls. Although these are at least eight years old, Michelins tend to dry-crack the sidewalls prematurely, so much so that Michelin has a little chart to gauge the amount/severity and determine what they think is or is not acceptable.
. This is the exact characteristics of my 2008 Michelin's, 16 inch on my Park Avenue. Great quality tires and I will never change to another brand.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone know if the tire shine stuff does anything to extend life, or is there some kind of rubber conditioner that can be applied.

It's actually the opposite based on all I've read. Not just in forums.....

The only thing you can apply to help extend life is enclosed shade. Otherwise they just keep on aging while exposed to air.

Depending on the type of tire, the above guidelines of 7-10 years may be beyond the envelope too. For example there's a distinct fall off in high performance tires long before that.

It's one of my grips with "high mileage" tire designs. Not only does the grip suck right out of the box, unless someone is driving a lot per year, it's useless at the end of its life on the car too, and the average user is clueless.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12394 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tires build up heat and that heat is dissipated through the sidewalls of the tires. Based on the design radial tires generate a bit more heat and the sidewalls take the "beating" to dissipate that heat. So you have seasonal issues, the daily heating and cooling, scuffing and impact damage and the obvious degradation of the materials, tires age.

Add to that the issues when you run a radial low on air, low pressure substantially limits the radial tire's ability to dissipate heat and does even more damage to the tire, specifically the sidewall. Break down a tire that has been run very low on air and often you will see handfuls of "rubber pellets" inside from the tire cooking apart and breaking down.

In my prior life we had a family tire store/garage, started in 1954 and sold it in 2001. I have repaired, sold, balanced, broke-down and re-mounted more tires then I care to remember. I still have scars from the steel belts that would open up your hand like a steak knife!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
It caught my attention 2 or 3 years ago.

There were a number of tire failures leading to fatal vehicle accidents, and the investigation determined that a big box store or huge tire chain sold the customer tires that had been sitting around for many, many years. It happened quite a few times and there were quite a few articles on it. Essentially, the customer drives 1 or 2 years and thinks they're good to go for several more years even though in reality they've hit their maximum life.

You're supposed to look at the manufactured date on the side wall BEFORE buying tires for two reasons:
  • If you lose your purchase receipt your warranty will begin on manufactured date instead of date purchased
  • The tires are experiencing dry rot as they sit in the warehouse.

Request newer tires if they try to put more than 2 year old tires on your vehicle.

Here is how to tell tire age:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23199 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    My hypocrisy goes only so far
    Picture of GrumpyBiker
    posted Hide Post
    Actually that is correct.
    Weather & especially UV damage causes the rubber compounds to dergade.
    Sidewalls crack & cracks between the treads are culprits of blowouts at highway speeds.
    It's very important especially for motorhomes.
    7 years on those & they should be replaced as the extreme loads on them due to the extra weight.
    Cars have a bit longer life but we tend to wear them out before that's ever an issue these days.
    It's tough to toss tires with plenty of tread on them but it's the condition of the rubber that causes the safety concerns.
    UV is the biggest killer. It's why RV owners in the know always keep tire covers on their rigs when stopped for more than a day or two.

* also as for Tire Shine stuff it's actually bad for tires.
    You need a UV protectant like the 303 products.
    It's not cheap but blocks UV & conditions thevrubber.
    It does not however give you that shiny finish.

U.S.M.C.
    VFW-8054
    III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by arfmel:
    I believe that from my experience, the tire shine stuff shortens the life of the tire. I quit using it several years ago and have less sidewall cracking and weathering.

^^^^
    This!

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Skins2881:
    Anyone know if the tire shine stuff does anything to extend life, or is there some kind of rubber conditioner that can be applied. My five year old tires have zero wear, but very small cracks starting to form. I'd like to try and not replace them before I sell in a few years.

https://www.goldeagle.com/prod...tomotive-protectant/

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    the LeSaber has always been garaged ,when not in use so there was no visible cracking.

the only car I cave driven that rides nicer than mine was a Lexus Lx470 , s.u.v.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of bigdeal
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by arfmel:
    Only if you're using the cheap crap (mostly if not totally silicon) from the auto parts store or Walmart. A 'good', 'quality', protectant can actually protect the sidewall from UV, while making the tires look newer. You won't however buy a bottle of one of these protectants for $3.99. Parking your car inside a parking garage during the day and a home garage or carport when not at work or away will also do wonders to extend the life of your tires.

-----------------------------
    Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Woke up today..
    Great day!
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
    Actually that is correct.
    Weather & especially UV damage causes the rubber compounds to dergade.
    Sidewalls crack & cracks between the treads are culprits of blowouts at highway speeds.
    It's very important especially for motorhomes.
    7 years on those & they should be replaced as the extreme loads on them due to the extra weight.
    Cars have a bit longer life but we tend to wear them out before that's ever an issue these days.
    It's tough to toss tires with plenty of tread on them but it's the condition of the rubber that causes the safety concerns.
    UV is the biggest killer. It's why RV owners in the know always keep tire covers on their rigs when stopped for more than a day or two.

* also as for Tire Shine stuff it's actually bad for tires.
    You need a UV protectant like the 303 products.
    It's not cheap but blocks UV & conditions thevrubber.
    It does not however give you that shiny finish.

This is ALL I will ever use on my tires. Blocks UV which does most of the damage to tires. Been using it for 15 years and have yet to have a car or trailer tire show cracks. Granted my tires rarely last more than 4 years due to mileage, I am still sold on the 303 Protectant.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    For real?
    Picture of Chowser
    posted Hide Post
    I use the 303 stuff too. My tires only last three to four years. I average about 20k miles a year.

Isn’t dry rot one of the contributing factors of Paul whathisfacefromtheracingmovies death?

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8008 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Unflappable Enginerd
    Picture of stoic-one
    posted Hide Post
    The original Armor-All formulation was actually bad for your tires, the newer formulations don't harm them, but really don't protect them like 303 does.

NRA Benefactor
    I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
    http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post