SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    An observation about the change in Sigforum
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An observation about the change in Sigforum Login/Join 
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
You are not the only one who has noticed this problem: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4010063214 Wink

I'll go along with blaming smartphones, especially since they don't work where I am currently located.

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
Rey HRH, I read every single page of the Trump thread. Did you already forget that I lurked here for about 15 years before I made an account? Wink

Sifting though my posts on the Trump thread and responding to try and discredit or devalue the OP just tells me that you have way too much time on your hands. If you want to re-read that thread and point out anything I posted that had restarted a tired debate, knock yourself out.

As for your last point, I understand your point and I'll elaborate: If we all like/dislike <insert whatever> there's nothing wrong with a bunch of posts in agreement or disagreement. It's when a point is being debated and instead of new perspectives to advance/retard said point, people post things that have been said many times over about the point with nothing new or constructive to add.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
It's part smartphones, no doubt; part laziness, and part ignorance.

Back In The Day, when bandwidth and storage were at a premium, we learned to economize. Thus people learned to trim quotes while, it was hoped, retaining necessary context, and to reply reply in-line.

I see the full-quoting problem all over the 'net. Some web boards have taken to either making quoting optional, limiting quoting to the post to which you're replying (no nested quotes) or disallowing quoting entirely.

Then there are those who, apparently blithely oblivious to their surroundings and, despite the fact there nearly nobody else does it, feels the need to follow-up "Jeopardy style."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Eye:
Rey HRH, I read every single page of the Trump thread. Did you already forget that I lurked here for about 15 years before I made an account? Wink

That thread wasn't started 15 years ago. And if you read every single post just on that one thread, then it appears you're the one with time on your hands.

quote:

Sifting though my posts on the Trump thread and responding to try and discredit or devalue the OP just tells me that you have way too much time on your hands. If you want to re-read that thread and point out anything I posted that had restarted a tired debate, knock yourself out.

I didn't sift through your posts. I merely 1) clicked on your profile, 2) clicked on your recent posts, and 3) noted the posts you made on that particular thread that you referenced. Why are you now complaining about my post in your thread that isn't merely a repeat of any previous post. Has anyone else did what I did? I would think that you would commend me as my post is aligned with the very point you were making. I was simply interested in checking the consistency of your practice with the point you are making.

So I commend you for actually reading every post on that thread but, again, with 623 pages prior to your first post, I doubt you expressed a unique thought. No, I don't have the time to re-read the whole thread, I'm just siding with the odds.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Would it be bad form to quote my own post from this thread, now?
Wink

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:...
I even made a SENDEC reference last night. Big Grin

I caught that. Smile

No you didn't... Big Grin

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
Rey HRH, you came into my thread and took a huge dump with your assumptions and playing the odds, strictly directed at me to make me sound like a hypocrite. For the record, you're the only one in my short posting period who's ever gone out of their way as far as you have to try and stick one to me. You've been here since 2011 and have over 12k posts. Based upon your argumentative and confrontational behavior in this thread, if you want to play the odds it's quite clear you're more likely to be a violator than most.

By the way, it may shock you that the 1300+ pages of the Trump thread didn't appear overnight and it was available for people to read as the election progressed.

Frankly, I don't see any reason why you should continue to participate in this thread. I never "kept score" of members who did this because I think everyone, including me, are capable of doing the things I referenced in the OP. But I'm talking about habitual offenders, who are intentionally obtuse. I'm talking about people like you. Again, it would be best if you stay out of my thread because you bring negativity and nothing constructive and you can up your post count elsewhere. Good day.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
You made a good lurker.

Why the sudden urge to FINALLY (according to you) make an account and participate beyond the peeping -tom level?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I guess I don't feel the same way. I have been here for years.

Seem's to be the same forum for the most part as it has always been.

i know we have tons of new members and some usually have a bit of a learning curve.

There are some members who always chime in more or less to the same type of threads with the same old stuff. I just avoid those. I have gotten pretty good over my time here avoiding the threads that usually end up in some kind of a pissing match or get locked.

So in general I love this forum. I love the membership and it is a great place with tons of great people who help, support and provide knowledge to its membership.

That is all, orc

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Eye:
I've been lurking around Sigforum ever since I bought a Satin Nickel P229 in 2002. I recently made an account to view a member's email address for something he was selling in the classified section. I've witnessed the evolution of many lightning rod threads here... Keggers, >>>ARE YOU SMOKING F****** DOPE<<< (how is Cliffy, palehorse or Bennyboatshoes doing? anyone?), Trump is a First Rate Assclown, etc. In reading some of the more recent lightning rods I'm amazed at how many people either don't read, don't know how to comprehend English text or just don't care and put in their 2 cents without reading anything at all.

I remember a time when a member posted something worthy of being acknowledged, others would "+1" the post or the applicable part of the post. It was eventually frowned upon for several reasons, the one I recall is that it cluttered up the thread. In reading threads now, I constantly see replies quoting replies quoting replies to the point where I might have developed minor carpal tunnel scrolling through paragraphs of ignorant (defined as: lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated) posts and replies because one person thinks the other's point, perspective or opinion is ignorant. If a +1 created clutter, I don't know what to call this nuclear shitfuck of seemingly endless replies to replies to replies.

I don't mean to come off as disrespectful or ungrateful. I mention it because I do read every post in a thread and when I constantly re-read opinions that doesn't warrant a second reading, let alone a third or fourth, it's frustrating. On the same token, I think it's disrespectful to enter into a thread without reading it in its entirety. It's almost as if something that many of the participants in a discussion have disagreed on has finally come to some sort of acceptance about a point or perspective, then you have some jerkoff who barges in and says something that's already been said about whatever it was and then everyone's back to square one.

I encourage sharing new perspectives and arguing a point with respect and courtesy. After all it's an effective way to expand the mind and understand the perspective of others. However, if a post doesn't introduce a new perspective or perhaps more to my point: if a post is regurgitating old, tired information, what purpose does it serve besides stirring emotions and starting another wave of banter that's been said many more times than necessary?

Case and point: I started a thread a while back about shooting bullets underwater. If you feel so inclined and it's still around, go and count how many times people referenced Mythbusters thinking they've answered the question (which they clearly didn't read along with the rest of the thread). By the way, that was a non-heated topic so take a United Airlines thread or <insert political/taboo thread here> and add jet fuel (no pun intended) to the constant rehashing of points already made.

I do enjoy most of the posts I read here on Sigforum. Even in disagreement I find takeaways and learn new things that I wouldn't have if I skipped part or most of the discussion. Para does one hell of a job as owner/moderator and I'm grateful to be a part of this community. For that reason I wanted to share my observation and I'm confident that there are others who have seen and felt the change as well.

>>This<<

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I think you've said it quite effectively Dead_Eye. now what are we going to do about it?

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dead_Eye. Perhaps being aware will help rein in the worst excesses.

(Edited as per SIGnified. Wink Yeah, I knew better, too, which almost makes it worse.)

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Thanks, Dead_Eye. Perhaps being aware will help reign in the worst excesses.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/1850011224/p/1

See the seventh post down on page 1. Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Well, since the subject of behavior was brought up, there is two things that are notable.

Picture quoting..it gets old after the first six or so times. But damn, what's up with quoting six pictures or more, like one sometimes sees? I remember when people used to note "not for 56K" in thread titles. Sometimes the threads open like in those days.

Something else is big avatars. I've seen where people were shown their picture as it first appears and ignored it. I've seen where members have offered to shrink and/or host avatars and it goes on.

This has nothing to do with forum moderation but rather being easy on our host's dime and remembering not everybody has a fast connection.

Posts: 5756 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I do 90+% of my forum browsing from a phone, at a glance, in between various other things, sometimes with one, and other times with twenty-one, things going on all the while. Sometimes I'll have a dozen different threads/browser tabs open at once, for days, and sometimes a response I started in a tab on Monday doesn't get finished until Friday, and sometimes I might not refresh or read x-new pages of posts that happened in between. I try to, and usually do, but not always, as, sometimes, "ain't nobody got time fo' that"... and sometimes, even when I do all of those things, I make a mistake in reading the thread title or misread someone else's post, almost none of which happens maliciously or the like.

Such is life and online media in the 21st century. I'm surprised it goes as well as it does...

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
DE, chill. This is an internet forum. One of the better ones I might add.

I don't take exception to your OP. But, my recommendation is, if you take issue with somebody on a particular issue, keep it in that thread.

BTW, did you see that one episode of Mythbusters... Wink

CDFOS

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I do 90+% of my forum browsing from a phone, at a glance, in between various other things, sometimes with one, and other times with twenty-one, things going on all the while. Sometimes I'll have a dozen different threads/browser tabs open at once, for days, and sometimes a response I started in a tab on Monday doesn't get finished until Friday, and sometimes I might not refresh or read x-new pages of posts that happened in between. I try to, and usually do, but not always, as, sometimes, "ain't nobody got time fo' that"... and sometimes, even when I do all of those things, I make a mistake in reading the thread title or misread someone else's post, almost none of which happens maliciously or the like.

Such is life and online media in the 21st century. I'm surprised it goes as well as it does...

Smile

I do pretty much the same. Checking in while on hold, standing in line, or whenever I have five throughout the day. I've started typing a post to see some one just made the same point minutes to hours before I completed writing one. If it's a fast moving one, I'll usually close the open post window, read the stuff that has came in and reply to the whole thing.

For 95% of the threads I read entire thread, including Trump ones. I missed a bit from page 10-100 of Assclown thread and some from election night, other than that, I read every page of both. I hate when three people make same joke/point, even more so when one the current page or one later.

RTFT!

ETA I am only on here and two industry specific forums that I participate in once every year or two. I read threads in other ones occasionally. From my limited knowledge of these things, there is none better.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
You made a good lurker.

Big Grin

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
IMHO, a lot of forum members are less civil to each other than they were even five years ago. Can I point to any specific thread or event? No. It's just my general sense.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
You made a good lurker.

Why the sudden urge to FINALLY (according to you) make an account and participate beyond the peeping -tom level?

He said in his OP he created an account so that he could obtain a seller's email address after seeing something in the classified he wanted.

Did you ask this question just to make his point? Wink

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post