SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dog harness recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog harness recommendations Login/Join 
#DrainTheSwamp
Picture of P229 357SIG Man
posted
Our pups have outgrown their harnesses and they (harnesses) need to be replaced. Any recommendations on a nice harness/leash combination that works well for your pet?

P226 9 mm
P229 .357 SIG
Glock 17
AR15 Spikes - Noveske - Daniel Defense Frankenbuild

Posts: 944 | Location: Glen Allen, Virginia | Registered: January 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have had good luck with Lupine for our greyhounds(lifetime warranty, even if chewed). We
have used that warranty a few times.

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
We use the Alpine Outfitters harness and leads.

https://www.alpineoutfitters.n...riant=29589306310728

Good quality and made in the USA.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 159 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have Ruffwear harnesses for all four of our dogs.

https://ruffwear.com/

Posts: 683 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ve honestly never understood how a dog can be trained to walk at heel in a harness. Maybe that’s not the point.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Bandit, my rescued mutt came with something similar to this.

https://www.harnesslead.com/#/

It works well, but with him being rather head strong I'm currently using choke chain and leather leash with him.

As far as the leash, this has been great, and it's made by a holster maker here in Alaska.

https://www.diamonddcustomleat...products/dog-leashes

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Really like this seller and he sells all kinds of dog gear. Have a look and see what you think. The Dog Outdoors

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
we use the Wiggles Wags Whiskers harness on both our dogs.

very easy to put on and take off and has a ring to attach a leash either on the back or in the front for training.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use the Julius-K9 ones & they are really nice. I also like the patches & trim that glow in the dark so people can see my dog at night. I've had mine for about 8 years now & it still looks great.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
This thread is quite timely. I have been reading and researching harnesses since getting Molly about a month ago.
She walks great on a leash with the collar but if a squirrel or rabbit is close and takes off she wants to go too.
If I see them I tell her to leave it and she just kind of looks at them and whimpers. But if she sees them first she is pretty strong and quite a bit of force goes to her neck.
So been wanting a harness.

All my reading comes back to the Julius K9 IDC Powerharness.
I have been emailing back and forth here with Jeff Yarchin about these allergy test kits and need to see if he carries the Julius K9

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
We use a Curgo harness with Clark. He is usually very well-behaved on a walk, but the harness prevents any possibility of him slipping out of his collar. The concern here is that the collar carries all his ID, given that nobody ever checks for a chip on loose dogs. The harness is also useful for restraint in a car, just clip it to a seat belt with a carabiner.

The "secret" to getting a dog to walk at heel with a slack leash is repetition, repetition, and (need I say it again?) It also helps when training heeling to carry a treat in your closed left hand suspended above where you want his nose to be. Train indoors in a large room without distractions until he gets the idea, then take it outside. I also find learning "come to heel" very useful, make him come to your side to get a treat, every time, much more useful than "sit," and leads naturally into heeling while walking. The apparatus: leash, collar, harness, doesn't matter, it is all in the conditioning.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My 130 pound dog uses an Easy Walk harness.

https://www.petsafe.net/easywalk

He's well-behaved 99% of the time, but this harness is great for the occasional burst of ADD, like when a small animal darts across his path. The design of the harness prevents him from pulling hard enough on the leash to either jerk it out if my hands or drag me off my feet. Instead, it squeezes his front legs together and spins him around. It's self-limiting on how hard he can pull on it.

quote:
Originally posted by architect:
The "secret" to getting a dog to walk at heel with a slack leash is repetition, repetition, and (need I say it again?)

Yep. Lots of repetitive training when he was young. Now my dog walks just ahead and to the side of me with a slack leash.

We sometimes go without a leash/harness, like for quick trips to the mailbox, or when in a contained area without small animals like the patio of my favorite bar. But that 1% of the time when he gets distracted and his puppy instincts take over necessitates keeping a leash and harness on him while out on walks, just in case.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Had a training session today with Bandit and this is what the trainer recommended. I've got one on order and see how it works. I was impressed with the trainer. Some of her methods were different from what I have used in the past. When asked she explained the reasoning behind them and they made sense and Bandit responded well. We'll continue to practice what we learned today and we'll try the harness she recommended.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...9630ca631ca3fda36551

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
We’ve always had large dogs, Labs, Shepherds. I use a simple ‘pinch collar’ for walks.

I realize the question is about a ‘harness’. Depending on the dog, many harnesses just allow the dog to pull more comfortably. It’s like the ‘strong man’ hooked to a harness to pull the plane or whatever.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
We’ve always had large dogs, Labs, Shepherds. I use a simple ‘pinch collar’ for walks.

I realize the question is about a ‘harness’. Depending on the dog, many harnesses just allow the dog to pull more comfortably. It’s like the ‘strong man’ hooked to a harness to pull the plane or whatever.

I use the pinch collars as a training aid to teach them to walk on a leash. The harness is for once they are well behaved walkers.
My instance Molly is a great walker unless a squirrel or rabbit that I did not see bolts.
The harness is also nice for hiking as you can clip small bags to it so the pup can carry her own stuff.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Having taught Dog Obedience for a few years, I never have used anything other than a choke style chain collar on any of my dogs when walking them. My dogs have all been 50 pound or over sized dogs. If one of my dogs wore a collar on a regular basis, it was a 1" web collar. Never leave a choker on a dog regularly as bad thing can happen if it gets hung up on something.

We live in the country and normally our dogs don't wear any collar unless being walked. I've never used or considered a harness.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Bandit, my rescued mutt came with something similar to this.

https://www.harnesslead.com/#/
just got this for our small dog and it works well.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with the ones already mnentioned but I can recommend 2 hounds:
https://www.2houndsdesign.com

Posts: 102 | Location: Kalifornia | Registered: September 17, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
We use the Kong harnes.

https://www.petsmart.com/dog/c...harness-5265439.html

It has a poo bag dispenser built in as well as another pocket for a second roll if you should run out on the trail.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post