SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Battery Charger Recommendation
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battery Charger Recommendation Login/Join 
posted
Looking for a decent battery charger -2/10/100-200start or thereabout. I would prefer a manual/timer vs an automatic, but I don't see many of those available, so maybe an automatic that doesn't have super sensitive safety cutouts. We have 2 old 200A manuals at the farm, but it takes longer to find them than to use them. A manual 2/10/40/200 bench-top model would be ideal, but I think I'll have better luck finding a unicorn.
Most of what I see on Amazon is Schumacher, and I currently have one made by them, but store-branded. It is a piece of shit. I use it about twice a year & at least once I threaten to throw it away. Last weekend I followed through. It would charge just long enough for me to walk away, then give it's 'bad battery' error & stop charging. I'd come back hours later & it hadn't done anything. I jumped the 4wheeler with the li-ion jump pack, which is what I should have done in the 1st place.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with Battery Tender brand units.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
snidera, from a recent thread pertaining to my dead battery from sitting in the garage during this COVID stuff, based on recommendations and Amazon and other reviews I purchased this NOCO genius 5 battery charger and maintainer. I purchased it on Amazon and I'm very impressed with the build quality and though yet to hook her up, was waiting on additional NOCO quick plug cord I'll definitely add a review. Looks quality at a reasonable price also. Here was my recent thread and recommendations from replies.

Battery died topic

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing you store the vehicle indoors, in the dark. VW used to ship all their Mexican produced vehicles with a solar charger that didn't recharge a dead battery, it just kept one topped off. It was good at that. They placed it on the dash of new cars, plugged it in, and forgot about it. It worked on the theory that giving a new car the sunshine treatment could work to their advantage. Of course it required an always live cigarette lighter to work.

It was a good idea, and eliminated the embarrassment of having to use a battery charger on a brand new vehicle, out on the lot where the whole world could see the thing taking place. The problem wasn't just isolated to VWs. Virtually all makers have the problem. Having a hundred or so vehicles just sitting tends to kill batteries.

Move along to 2003 when my wife wanted and got a VW Passat wagon. It had a flaw in its electrical system that kept the computer alive after you turned it off and locked it up. Embarrassing as hell to go out to her new car and have it deader than a doornail. (anyone know where that expression came from?) Anyway the first time I just jump started it. The second time I was pissed to say the least. The diagnosis was the computer wasn't shutting itself off. Drained the new cars battery over about a week or so. The manager of the dealership walked into his shop and confiscated a few of them from mechanics.

Seemed like it was a valuable item for employees. They stole them from new cars when they could. Caused a bunch of trouble when a new car wouldn't start and the charger was gone.
Anyway, it took a while to get a new computer for the Passat, and the charger solved the problem. Works for cars parked outside and not driven each day.

Not sure if your 4 wheeler could be parked near a window. I'd think it has a tiny battery or could be adapted. I've seen cords with a lighter plug on one end and jumper clamps on the other. That's been 17 years so I'm pretty sure my offspring has stolen my solar chargers. Don't know if VW even uses that system these days. The advantage is your battery is always topped off. Draining one to dead isn't good for long battery life.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I use Ctek chargers for a wide variety of batteries. Trickle/maintenance to large batteries. They make them for a wide range of uses.
Shop around after you look on the site to see what you need for a better price.

https://smartercharger.com/

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
https://www.batterytender.com/

Based in FL, good company, you can buy direct, Amazon, and many other places...

Still running one on my HD that I bought back in the early 2000's

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second Ctek chargers. I have used them for years, from maintaining to charging a completely dead battery.

If you don't like the CTEK logo, you can spend $100-$200 more for one that has Porsche, Ferrari, etc. These are the same chargers they recommend for their vehicles.

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I was going to post Battery Tender when I first saw this but from the OP believe he's looking for a full-on charger to bring neglected batteries back from the dead, not a maintainer.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Ctek here too.

I believe a Ctek can bring a neglected battery back from the dead.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jamess1:
I second Ctek chargers. I have used them for years, from maintaining to charging a completely dead battery.

If you don't like the CTEK logo, you can spend $100-$200 more for one that has Porsche, Ferrari, etc. These are the same chargers they recommend for their vehicles.

Another vote for CTEK.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Ctek user here too.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those are all kinda cute. Smile
I failed to mention that trickle charging/maintaining is covered - batterytender and a couple no-name brands.

I found one.
US made, 200A, should be all I ever need.
Associated US20

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:

They will maintain but not charge a totally dead battery. Great to leave on a good battery without overcharging.

The early ones were better quality than the latest ones I bought.

The multiunit models are interesting. I like not having to maintain a few of the Tenders.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I was going to post Battery Tender when I first saw this but from the OP believe he's looking for a full-on charger to bring neglected batteries back from the dead, not a maintainer.

Delran does make on model that is a 15 amp version.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the op is talking a completely different animal than these trickle chargers. He wants 200a of booster starting as part of the deal. I use a Schumacher but if we are talking getting your excavator going in deep winter you probably want bigger.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Noco and am happy with it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:

They will maintain but not charge a totally dead battery. Great to leave on a good battery without overcharging.

The early ones were better quality than the latest ones I bought.

The multiunit models are interesting. I like not having to maintain a few of the Tenders.
The Battery Tender units will charge a dead battery , but the smaller units just take so damn long . They do make some larger units as well as Booster packs .

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
My son and I own alot of vehicles with battery's. We have roughly 14 of the Harbor Freight battery maintainers. they have worked great and keep the batteries "alive".

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
The Battery Tender units will charge a dead battery, but the smaller units just take so damn long.
Correct, in my experience. My 3A model charged my neighbor's battery to the point it started her car, but it took several days to charge it.

It worked fine to keep our car batteries topped off during our low auto use in the early kung flu weeks.

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Associated Equipment makes some of the heaviest duty and Made in the USA chargers on today's market, but you buy once, cry once.

I have their 9425 20amp benchtop model, which is in their Intellimatic series. That series are smart chargers that can also be left attached indefinitely in float mode, after the smart charge sequence has finished. The 9425 also has a dead battery assist.

For the OP's specs, this model 6010B would be better suited. It is not a smart charger, however, but a manual type.

Link to the 6010B charger on the Associated web site.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post