SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chuck Berry has passed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chuck Berry has passed Login/Join 
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
He was a regular at a bar I worked at in Saint Louis, in at least once a week unless traveling, for a decade.
And then...years later I moved to Wentzville MO living right down the road from Berry Park.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIP Chuck Berry!
Roll over Beethoven!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock or Something
Picture of Marc in FL
posted Hide Post
RIP Mr. Berry, you were a true legend and your music will live on forever.

Posts: 1131 | Location: Tampa Bay Area | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
Sad to see this. Lots of hits from him.

I was just at the school father-daughter dance (talk about an odd but awesome experience) with the 2nd grader tonight, and they played 'the twist' (yes I know that's chubby checker, but same era). The DJ's exact words were "all you adults out there get out on this dance floor and help 'em out because they won't have a clue'. Myself and the rest of the dads all showing the girls how to dance to a song that predates them more than a half century, and they all absolutely loved it.

Hell of a musician, and a big loss.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
An icon. Very few people have made quite as notable a contribution as he did, to Americana. A genuine trailblazer. Rest in peace, Mr Berry, and thanks for everything.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7251 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
RIP Chuck. Your influence on rock and roll music lives forever!
Your music brought a lot of fun into the world.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Truly the father of rock and roll. Bye Chuck, we'll miss you!

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
The guy who invented rock'n'roll as we know it. The True King of Rock 'N' Roll (sorry Elvis). Ridiculously talented. The prototype guitarist/singer/songwriter, and still the best. His lyrics might seem simple, but truly complex and phonetically a slam-dunk. A domineering, difficult, and confident personalty who can dwarf gigantic egos such as Mick & Keith, John Lennon, Eric Clapton, etc.

God Bless Chuck Berry. Rest In Peace.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16677 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
RIP Mr. Berry. I never saw him, but he certainly influenced some of my favorite guitar players.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
RIP Mr. Berry. I never saw him, but he certainly influenced some of my favorite guitar players.

Never a truer word spoken! What legendary guitar player didn't cover Johnny Be Goode?! RIP Mr. Berry!

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out the documentary Hail! Hail! Rock and Roll. He was notoriously hard to work with and on several occasions Keith Richards and Chuck looked like they were about to start taking swings at each other. If you're a fan of his music it's fun to watch.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3526 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
What legendary guitar player didn't cover Johnny Be Goode?!

Very true, or Berry true?

I don't know how to post videos but here's a band that got started doing covers:

Little Boy Blue and the Blue Boys

and a tribute from Uncle Ted:

Ted Nugent

There's at least a dozen tributes on youtube.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post