SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ultrasonic cleaner?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ultrasonic cleaner? Login/Join 
Picture of barry1967
posted
Anyone use one to clean their pistols?

If so, what do you have and do you like it, and would you recommend it?

Thanks
Barry

More than a few, less than others!

Posts: 1199 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: June 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I got a cheap one at harbor fright, I use the purple "pro HD" simply green because of some thing about regular simply green causing issues with aluminum.

works great.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Also interested in what you guys use as the solution. I have one I haven’t used yet because I’m not sure what to put in it. I’m mostly interested in cleaning things like bolt assemblies and p320 FCU’s.

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
It made a 5906 smith that had been stolen years earlier that look like shit, sparkle.
It got every bit of dirt and dries on grease off.
Simple green in hot water was the way I loaded it into the sonic cleaner.
I normally use for brass with citric acid added.
They work in some cases on certain things.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
Based on the price of these things, I'm interested!!

I'd also like to hear the voice of experience.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have the Hornady Lock and Load 7 liter ultrasonic cleaner and I love it. I use Hornady’s cleaning solution and it does a fantastic job. I use it to clean my guns and brass. I recently took the baffles out of one of my suppressors and cleaned them in it and they came out looking new. You can’t clean blued guns in it.

https://www.natchezss.com/horn...onic-cleaner-7l.html

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I ruined the finish on my M&P 22.

Don't put aluminum in it.

Perhaps if I hadn't of bought a Chinese industrial one off of amazon...there might have been a warning.

My brass and stainless guns are all looking like new though.

I use the lymans solution. I've used purple power degreaser.

A heated ultrasonic cleaner is awesome for brass. With my tumble and ultrasonic clean process, brass looks better than new.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I recently started using the one I bought from Harbor Freight.I originally bought it for brass cleaning.
I tried the lemonshine and dawn solution on the brass and it worked great.
I decided to try it on my CZ Shadow SPO1 barrel, THANK GOD I did not put anything other than the barrel in the tank, when I removed the barrel almost all the blueing had come off.
Be VERY careful what solutions you use.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I got the one from Brownells and yes I recommend it.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
A BM1 at one of my units used a sonic cleaner on several M9's....with Simple Green...

They brought me the guns after they had tried to paint them black with BBQ paint.

HAHAHAHAHA, dude got in so much trouble, they made him a BM2 and made it so where he could not even touch a weapon.

The takeaway is READ the instructions. Aluminium + sonic cleaner = BAD

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I have the RCBS Ultrasonic cleaner. I just want to clean the barrel and slide of say my M&P Shield. What solution would I use to prevent ruining these parts?? Thanks, all-knowing SIGForum panel!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I swear I'm going to buy one one day. Just to drop my cans in. Plus AR bolts.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post