SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Great Article on Dry Caving in Mexico - Long
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great Article on Dry Caving in Mexico - Long Login/Join 
posted
This is from April 2014. These are massive caves and this article shows what it takes to push these caves (and the "costs"). They have continued to explore this area and Sistema Huautla which is near by. I've read a few of Bill Stone's books, one of which chronicles early expeditions into Huautla. Good reading for those of us that will never push it that far, or anywhere close.

I did laugh out loud reading this when I got to the point when one of the Caver's said, “What the fuck am I doing here?”. It is the classic rhetorical question one asks oneself and I think anyone that has "pushed the limits" even a little has asked the same question. I remember 2 years ago, we had just finished driving over an hour (from the main road) down continually smaller dirt roads into the Yucatan jungle to a remote Cenote to dive it, and there I was up against a tree in the jungle, roll of toilet paper in one hand, losing another battle with the local cuisine, about to do a 3+ hour cave dive, thinking...."What the fuck am I doing here"!

Enjoy

https://www.newyorker.com/maga...2014/04/21/in-deep-2

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Man, the stupid is strong today.

And risking your life for a thrill is just that. Same thing with wingsuit/free-climbing/sky-diving/etc. As others have said, laughing in the face of danger only works until danger laughs back.

Think about your wife, kids, family, friends, and such having to deal with you gone.

I've got nothing against you, SFL. I don't think many around here do. But why risk your life like that? Especially with the cave diving you do?

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post