SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My first kidney stone ..
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first kidney stone .. Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
You are now a Kidney Stone Survivor. It's the closest thing to knowing how it feels to have someone stick a white-hot, rusty, jagged machette all the way through you and slowly sawing down to your groin while simultaneously kicking you in the balls with every heart beat.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I've had two of the bastards in my life, and they were both truly humbling experiences. It was like someone following me around with a rusty, jagged, knife inserted into my side, and stabbing, twisting, and yanking on it pretty much constantly. I was writhing in pain.

The first one was stuck just below my left Kidney, intermittently blocking the outward flow and causing the Kidney to swell which was then pressing against the other adjacent internal organs, the combination causing pains I'd never experienced before. It was brutal.

As an aside, my GP thinks it was too much calcium in my diet (cheese, ice cream, whole milk, etc), which was completely contrary to the notions I'd held previously about drinking too many sodas and such. Apparently genetics is a key cause/predisposition for some folks.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry about your stone. I heard that the new Dornier Compact Delta III will destroy a stone lickity split! Something about a deeper focal depth, better coupling and a more efficient power band.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Seems we may have had a similar conversation back when I was getting my ESWL in 2015. Eek

quote:
Dornier was founded by Claude Dornier. Born in Bavaria in 1884, Dornier graduated from the Technical University in Munich in 1907. Soon employed as a scientific adviser, Dornier began fundamental research and design. His early findings laid the cornerstone for the evolution of metal aircraft. As part of the Dornier team’s on-going research in aerospace technology, they discovered a previously unexplained phenomenon. Pitting was taking place on the surface of an aircraft as it approached the sound barrier – a unique occurrence caused by the shock wave created in front of a droplet of moisture. This finding, coupled with close collaboration among hospitals and Dornier’s development laboratories, resulted in the company’s invention of extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL®). To date, millions of people around the globe have been successfully treated using Dornier’s break-through discovery.

Linkety

Posts: 18064 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig Forum bothers unite! I’m currently at the ER with a kidney stone. Probably my 5th or 6th one, and I’m only 39 years old. The ER doc got a kick that I don’t have a primary care physician but I do have a urologist. It’s my own fault, just rotated to night shift and haven’t been drinking water like I was on day shift.

Posts: 489 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Had my first ever kidney stone decide to start making the trip south during Basic training and Infantry School at Ft Benning. Asked the drill Sgt for some Tylenol or aspirin and he made me get checked at the hospital on base. It was a 7mm stone stuck in the ureter. I finished Basic Training and Infantry School with that bastard stuck in the ureter and went straight to Airborne School after 2 weeks at Airborne School I couldn’t handle the pain anymore so they sent me to Atlanta to have the ECSL Lithotripsy. Back then they hoisted you into a big tub of water and it felt like someone was whacking you across the back with a weightlifters belt. This was 1985. Went on to have more after assignment in the 101st Airborne. Since then I’ve had in the region of 50 stone related surgeries, one of which cut my renal artery and almost killed me. They embolized that cut but killed most of that kidney. Years later I had to have what was left of that kidney removed. I’ve had hundreds of stones since 1985. Here I am at 51 and they are muchess frequent. The VA lets me see an outside Urologist through the choice program, thank God, and I take Potassium Citrate to keep as many stones from forming. That stuff is a life saver. Two tablets a day is a small price to pay for less lidney stones.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Passed about a 2mm stone last Sunday. Was hurting off and on for a few days. I was running around doing errands Sunday, was having some pain.

I came home, took the pup for a walk and about a quarter mile into it *BAM* really bad pain, and extreme urge to pee! I didn't think I would make it home.

I got home and while going to the bathroom I passed it. I felt much better. Yet I'm still having pain, so I guess I have a couple of more moving.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
Have them for years. Working on a couple i can feel. They have gone in and got one and then they have done sonic blasting to break up a bigger one over the years.
Been on the Potassium Citrate 15Meq times 8 a day. they pills really help. This thru decades I think is what cause me to be a CDK Stage 3.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:
quote:
Originally posted by markand: Urologist broke them up via laser lithotripsy (you probably don't want to know what that means).

I know what that procedure is. Went through it two weeks ago! No fun.

I got the laser last year when I got that familiar, want to keel over and die pain in my right kidney. It hit me almost a year to the day after my first kidney stone incident.

Luckily this year, nothing has happened, ( so far.. knock on wood! ) most likely due to cutting way back on salt, sodas and lots of water with lime juice, etc.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I passed my first kidney stone almost 4 years ago. I woke up at 3:30 A.M. this morning with what feels like my second one.
The pain moved down towards my bladder until the pain stopped so I am hoping that it is a small one that passed to my bladder and is waiting to come out.
My first stone I had for 3 weeks until it came out, 3 days before they were going to go in and remove it.

Posts: 80 | Registered: July 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Seems we may have had a similar conversation back when I was getting my ESWL in 2015. Eek

quote:
Dornier was founded by Claude Dornier. Born in Bavaria in 1884, Dornier graduated from the Technical University in Munich in 1907. Soon employed as a scientific adviser, Dornier began fundamental research and design. His early findings laid the cornerstone for the evolution of metal aircraft. As part of the Dornier team’s on-going research in aerospace technology, they discovered a previously unexplained phenomenon. Pitting was taking place on the surface of an aircraft as it approached the sound barrier – a unique occurrence caused by the shock wave created in front of a droplet of moisture. This finding, coupled with close collaboration among hospitals and Dornier’s development laboratories, resulted in the company’s invention of extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL®). To date, millions of people around the globe have been successfully treated using Dornier’s break-through discovery.

Linkety

It would appear that Dornier has a device to treat ED undergoing FDA trials right now. Its called the Aries. They use a hand held probe to apply shockwaves directly to your man part. What will those crazy folks think of next?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:Apparently genetics is a key cause/predisposition for some folks.

As is the case for just about every disease of mankind.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post