SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My first kidney stone ..
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first kidney stone .. Login/Join 
posted
Well , that was a day and a half of misery . I was in the ER when it passed , I think . All I know was it hurt like a bitch , they gave me some IV meds and took me for a CATSCAN . When they got the results back he said it was in my bladder and the worst was over .I don't want to go through that again .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first stone was exactly like yours. Some 12 years later, 2 very large stones were detected. One was the size of a thumb, the other the size of the tip of a pinkie finger (20 mm and 9 mm respectively). Never caused me any pain. Didn't know they were there until I experienced blood in the urine. Urologist broke them up via laser lithotripsy (you probably don't want to know what that means). Subsequently, over the following 2 weeks, I passed hundreds, perhaps thousands of stones ranging in size from grains of sand to small ball bearings. Enough to fill the palm of my hand. Wouldn't wish that on anybody! Kept joking with my wife that I was going to put a few of the larger ones in lucite and have some jewelry made.

Urologist told me to drink plenty of water with lemon juice added, avoid salt, and start taking some calcium citrate and vitamin D. Your doctor will likely have some advice that you should check out and follow, depending on your diet and other personal details.

I still have a 7 mm stone in the left kidney and a 20 mm clump of stones in the right kidney. Its been 5+ years since I've passed a stone. Urologist says if they aren't causing any pain or damage we should leave them alone.

Hope you never have another.

Posts: 1313 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I am so sorry....I use the stones I've had to measure all other pain against.

my first one was 6x9mm and shaped like a kidneybean made of sandspurs....

I drink plenty of water and lemonade and have seriously cut back on Coke, Coffee and dark liquids....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cummings Custom Refinishing
posted Hide Post
Welcome to HELL

Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 30 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com

Posts: 5208 | Location: Eastern Tn | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Yes, welcome to hell indeed.
My most-recent was in March.
That was a $6k day in the ER.
I hope you take the advice of your doctors with regards to fluid intake, etc. I did, and feel better in addition to losing some weight.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ooooh yeah, the good ol'kidney stones. I had an attack the 20th of last August and I still have a couple from that. Pain off and on the whole time.

Last August, I had two 5mm stones removed, stent put in and suffered with that for a week. Then last October I had Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) (the first one, because it didn't break it up enough the first time) for a 6.5mm and 9.75mm stones in my rifle kidney, well went back in December 22nd for the second round. Christmas morning I passed two 5mm and a bunch of smaller stones.

We are only talking about the right kidney. I have my left side with a bunch of 4 and 5mm stones, if I remember six total that haven't really did anything but cause pain off and on.

Let alone I still have some smaller stones in my right kidney.

I use to get them two or three times a year, and for eight years nothing, until last August. It sucks.

I take three types of meds and cut a lot of stuff out of my diet and drink lots of water and lemon aid/juice along with apple cider vinegar and lemon juice mixed in water, yet I still have a problem with them!

Out of the four kinds of kidney stones, I get three of them....

I'm sorry about your pain. I wish you the best of luck. I hope that you feel better soon!

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel great now ! They didn't send me home with a strainer to catch any more stones , if there are any . He didn't say that the CATSCAN showed anything else . I don't drink any dark soft drinks and I have maybe one cup of coffee a day usually . Same with iced tea . I plan on increasing my water intake . The lemonade thing sounds like a plan too .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Find out what type of stones they are. This will help with preventative measures.

Calcium
Uric acid
Cystine
and mostly for women Struvite

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was very foolish for waiting to consult a nephrologist ,
change that to I was an idiot .

they are preventable , you have the ability to avoid them in the future,

Hoping , does not work

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Josef Strauss wrote a waltz named “The First and the Last”. Hope that’s the case with your kidney stone experience!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
My recipe for Kidney Stone:
-Move from office job to laboring in summer heat.
-Drink coffee all morning, diet pepsi all after noon, a splash of beer after work. But at the time it was so hot, I switched to tea after work.

By that September I had lost maybe twenty pounds and felt pretty good until that stone hit.
Left work early on my motorcycle and almost ran a red light had traffic cleared to allow me to do it safely.

I no longer drink coffee, soda (rarely), or tea variations. Haven't had another stone. /knocks on wood/.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markand: Urologist broke them up via laser lithotripsy (you probably don't want to know what that means).

I know what that procedure is. Went through it two weeks ago! No fun.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I've had four, the most recent last month right in the middle of moving halfway across the state. The went in and broke it up and I had a stint in place for two weeks. Pissed blood to the point I'd get dizzy and had to take iron pills. Doc said it was normal.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I've had many. The worst by far, and the one against which I judge all other pain, was on a flight from Philadelphia to Tampa. It is no fun to be confined to a coach seat with kidney stone pain. After that ER visit, my Dr. finally believed I was making stones.

In the summer time when I work out in the garden in 100 degree heat, I drink lots and lots of lemonade.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I had gallstones last year, the main one was too large to pass. I have never felt pain like that before nor do I want to fell it again. Not only pain from the stone but violent bowel movements along with violent vomiting which turned to painful dry heaves. My gallbladder was removed and now I may have gallstones in my bile duct. I miss the days of my youth when I was rarely ill.

Posts: 4077 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I am a walking gravel pit,

passed one back in May, and basically one every 2yrs or so before that ,

on about number 10, as far as sizeable ones,

my last visit to the Uro showed 10-15 small ones in each kidney,

all calcium,

no coffee, rare soda, supposed to not have tea,,but I cheat a lot of that one

lemon/orange/grapefruit juice help the stones pass easier,

gotten to the point it is just a mild discomfort, usually, when they exit the kidney, and no biggy after that,

did have one hang up from May till Oct,

passed that one after a day of binge drinking Bells Two Hearted,

btw, the wife was not happy when the Uro told me to drink good beer,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deen
posted Hide Post
Had my third procedure a couple months ago. I am grateful that they seem to be getting less painful as time passes. This last incident, I was aware of them for many months, but the pain was never more than irritating. I figured I should go see the urologist. Shockwave blast; stent.

The first two times, the stent nearly drove me nuts. Second time was nephrolithostomy, an invasive procedure. I had a hose out my back for almost a week.

This time, I couldn't tell the stent was there. Also, very little pain afterwards, to the point of needing almost no medication. Very grateful for that!

And with surety I shall attain victory
- Guru Gobind Singh.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Twin Cities, MN | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
On my 10th or eleventh, I know when they will start moving because of the color of my urine, I get nauseous knowing they will hurt like an sob, start pounding as much water as I can. They all suck..

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
three years stone free here

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The second time I had them they went in and got them like this.

At least the nurse pulling on my junk was smoking hot.

"You can take your pistol and stick it so far up your ass, the muzzle of it is visible when you cough."

Posts: 1248 | Registered: February 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post