SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New UK political party, “Brexit” exceeds expectations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New UK political party, “Brexit” exceeds expectations Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Good news for the UK (and freedom lovers everywhere): Pollster predicts Farage's Brexit Party could WIN the EU elections.

“The Brexit Party has surged into the lead in the race for the European Elections after a top pollster predicted Nigel Farage's new party could win its first election.

A second YouGov survey on the state of the party's ahead of EU Parliament elections shows the Brexit Party rising dramatically from 15 per cent to 27 per cent.

Most of the gain comes at the expense of Ukip - which when led by Mr Farage won the 2014 contest - which plunged from 14 per cent to 7 per cent.

Labour falls to second place on 22 per cent, down two, and the Tories are now third on 15 per cent.

The sensational new result comes after YouGov Political Research Manager Chris Curtis said it was 'entirely plausible' Mr Farage could upset conventional wisdom about new parties to top the poll…”

https://mol.im/a/6931385

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Excellent!

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I enjoy his being a speaker on fox from time to time,very learned smart man.Unlike that may asshole they have now.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
There's got to be a whole lot of EU members with their panties in a wad over this poll and the possibility of having to deal with Nigel on a more regular basis. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is his stance on the population owning firearms? They could use some freedom over there.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Farage screwed up by retiring as head of UKIP after the Brexit referendum, assuming his work was done. Not sure what to make of two competing pro-Brexit parties.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Farage screwed up by retiring as head of UKIP after the Brexit referendum, assuming his work was done. Not sure what to make of two competing pro-Brexit parties.

If they had any sense whatsoever, UKIP would dissolve and throw their support behind Farage - who, you’re absolutely correct, never should have stepped down. Sure, he can be a bit abrasive (for a Brit), but they still needed someone with a spine, and that was him.

Anyway, it looks like he’s sitting on at least 15% before he peeled off the disillusioned half of UKIP.

If the remainers want round two, someone needs to be standing in the pass to tell them they can go to hell. Or Brussels.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

I think Farage quit the UKIP because the party was irredeemably disorganized. Many factions with different goals. His new Brexit party has one primary goal.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
His new Brexit party has one primary goal.

How can you tell? Smile

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“Tory stalwart Ann Widdecombe hopes to give 'cloth ear' MPs a bloody nose after she sensationally defected to Nigel Farage's Brexit Party today and said her new leader should be on a pedestal with Margaret Thatcher.

The former minister, who was a Tory member for 55 years and appeared on Strictly in 2010, has put retirement on hold because she believes Theresa May and Parliament have betrayed the 17.4million who voted to leave the EU.

Paying tribute to the former UKIP leader's political record she said: 'Nigel Farage has been more successful than any politician other than Margaret Thatcher in my lifetime in getting his agenda through, and he's done this from outside Westminster'.

She has pledged to 'campaign vigorously' for the Brexit Party in the upcoming European elections in May and will stand against Boris Johnson's sister Rachel and Jacob Rees-Mogg's sister Annunziata in the South West.

She told Good Morning Britain: 'I'm on a mission. We need to send a seismic shock to both parties that the electorate have had enough. Just get it done. The cloth ears in Parliament are not hearing us. If we win an overwhelming majority this will send a shock wave and MPs will have to listen. This is not a protest vote, far from it. It is a means of trying to galvanise Westminster into getting this issue dealt with'…”

https://mol.im/a/6953187

Serious about crackers

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^ This is good news!

The 71-year-old has joined Mr Farage's new party to try to get Britain out of the EU - and hopes that more big names will defect from the Tories and Labour.

She said: 'I do hope that more people will follow me, from both parties. When I was 21 I first voted for the Conservative party and I'm 71 now and have done nothing else in between. Leaving has been a total shock for me but I'm sure this is right'.

Miss Widdecombe, who was a prisons minister under John Major, has said Theresa May is the worst Prime Minister since Anthony Eden and in a message for the Tory leader she said: 'Ask yourself what you have been doing for the last three years other than losing our majority, giving into Juncker at every turn, instead of simply turning round to Juncker and saying to him, in a language he can understand, ‘Nous allons, monsieur.’” - French for 'we go'.

Asked if she blames Theresa May for the crisis, she said: 'Oh yes, I think things could have been handled completely differently. It is not just her, Jeremy Corbyn has been playing a very cynical game. In these circumstances, the national good must come first. We are talking now about a prolonged process which is damaging britain and damaging our reputation abroad'.

Miss Widdecombe had been rumoured to be considering leaving the party after she campaigned hard for Brexit and was appalled by the failure to deliver on the Article 50 commitment to leave on March 29.

She said: 'There are millions of people who voted to leave. We have a majority in the country who demanded Brexit and a majority in Parliament who want to remain and will not respect that'.

She continued: 'There is now a huge disillusionment amongst the population with its Parliament'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...es-Brexit-Party.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Farage’s new Brexit Party did even better than the pollsters predicted. Theresa May is toast – Boris Johnson is likely to replace her as PM. Farage doesn’t trust BoJo on Brexit, but BoJo will probably toe the Brexit line after seeing the EU election results.

“Nigel Farage is heading for a landslide victory in the European Parliament elections – and Boris Johnson has raced into a big early lead in the battle to succeed Theresa May as Prime Minister.

They are the main findings of an opinion survey which concluded at midnight on Wednesday after it became clear that Mrs May was on the brink of resigning.

The Survation poll for the Daily Mail shows Mr Farage’s Brexit Party well ahead in the European elections on 31 per cent, trailed by Labour on 23, the Conservatives on 14 and the Lib Dems on 12.

Nearly seven out of ten Tory voters said the reason they did not intend to vote for Mrs May yesterday was because of her failure to deliver Brexit. Calls for her to step down were backed by 57 per cent of Conservatives with 25 per cent against.

https://mol.im/a/7064837

Serious about crackers

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
When final results will be announced…

“Results on Sunday

The votes across the European Union will take place between 23 and 26 May, meaning the full results will not be available until after 27 May.

But, in the UK, the results are expected to begin being announced late on Sunday – three days after the voting takes place…”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/i...eu-vote-uk-meps/amp/

Serious about crackers

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
May has resigned

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
What is his stance on the population owning firearms? They could use some freedom over there.

Mr Farage is the leader of a political party that currently has NO currency in any kind of government. As such, he is unable to affect the Firearms Act in any way, except to say that maybe he'd like to see it revised somewhat. He would need to be the Prime minister of a political party with a majority to form the government. Here in UK, only ONE party is in power at a time.

Please note that in spite of me trying to convince members here for many years that in general, the UK population doesn't give a rat's ass about shooting, and really could care less if it was totally banned, there is a feeling that ANY politician could just stand up and tear up the old Firearms Act. It really doesn't work like that here. The population has NO say in the forming and documentation of ANY Act of Parliament, and cannot vote an Act in, or out.

Guns really are not part of the everyday landscape here, as they are in the USA, and never have been. Even the 1689 Bill of Rights' mention of bearing arms is only there to ensure that 'Protestant citizens of England to "have Arms for their Defence suitable to their Conditions and as allowed by Law" and restricted the ability of the English Crown to have a standing army or to interfere with Protestants' right to bear arms "when Papists were both Armed and Imployed ...

Nothing there about 'All men are created equal...'

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My only apparent accomplishment in life is being banned from an ancient forum
posted Hide Post
As a die hard Sargon of Akkad fan, I hoped UKIP would win, but I had no illusions about that at all.

Posts: 166 | Location: Washington State | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
How many Brexit threads are we going to have here?? Roll Eyes

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“The first results in the UK's European Parliament election have shown Nigel Farage's Brexit Party surging while Labour and the Conservatives fall to historic lows.

Mr Farage's movement surged to victory in Southend, Rugby and Northumberland - eclipsing his performance as UKIP leader in 2014 - and also won in Newcastle which voted Remain in 2016.

A mammoth counting operation has been underway as European election votes are tallied up in what is expected to be a sensational victory for the Brexit Party…”

https://mol.im/a/7072857

Serious about crackers

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
And…

“…Exit polls in France indicated that Marine Le Pen’s far-right, anti-immigrant National Rally party came out on top in an astonishing rebuke of French President Emmanuel Macron, who has made EU integration the heart of his presidency…”

https://apnews.com/2c137002ee4844b7ac4d2f33e626419f

Serious about crackers

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The Brexit Party with 29 seats is now the largest party in the European Parliament.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post