SIGforum
And don't forget, boys and girls- a firearm has NEVER been used by a private citizen to fend off an attacker

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/6910091844

October 11, 2018, 09:58 PM
radioman
And don't forget, boys and girls- a firearm has NEVER been used by a private citizen to fend off an attacker
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Only cops need guns? Right?

In Portland there is a movement to disarm the cops.

They think that if cops had no guns, somehow less people would be shot.

I'm not joking.

Not all police, just the Portland State University police (college campus cops).

I can't speak to their training, but one thing that bothered me about arming them (when the issue came up years ago, back when the did not carry sidearms) was that PSU cops aren't answerable to the general populace. They work for the University, which while public, places a lot of layers of accountability between them and the public, unlike normal police.

Portland State Univ Police are "normal" police and their cops and department meets the same training, standards (DPSST), and certifications as every other police department in the state.

It would be wrong to somehow classify them as not "normal" because they patrol a different set of city blocks.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!
October 11, 2018, 11:45 PM
LDD
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Only cops need guns? Right?

In Portland there is a movement to disarm the cops.

They think that if cops had no guns, somehow less people would be shot.

I'm not joking.

Not all police, just the Portland State University police (college campus cops).

I can't speak to their training, but one thing that bothered me about arming them (when the issue came up years ago, back when the did not carry sidearms) was that PSU cops aren't answerable to the general populace. They work for the University, which while public, places a lot of layers of accountability between them and the public, unlike normal police.

Portland State Univ Police are "normal" police and their cops and department meets the same training, standards (DPSST), and certifications as every other police department in the state.

It would be wrong to somehow classify them as not "normal" because they patrol a different set of city blocks.

I'm talking about their accountability scheme. It makes sense that they'd have the same minimum reqs as other agencies with the same powers.

Typical muni departments are accountable to the citizens of the jurisdictions they serve.

Who are PSU officers accountable to? The students they police or the regents who are far removed from daily student life?