Find
Notify
Tools

Tax question Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
Wife has started working from home, so can I write off our internet costs?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Working for a third party or self employed?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
http://smallbusiness.chron.com...ible-1040-31947.html

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
In either situation, a deduction can be taken. if self employed, it would be a deduction on the Schedule C. If an employee, a deduction as an employee business expense on 2106 flowing to Schedule A (itemized deductions) and subject to the 2 percent of AGI threshold.

In either case, you will need to establish the business percentage of the total that applies. If her income is dependent on internet access, I would lean toward 100 percent of the expense as "ordinary and necessary" to earn the income.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
In either situation, a deduction can be taken. if self employed, it would be a deduction on the Schedule C. If an employee, a deduction as an employee business expense on 2106 flowing to Schedule A (itemized deductions) and subject to the 2 percent of AGI threshold.

In either case, you will need to establish the business percentage of the total that applies. If her income is dependent on internet access, I would lean toward 100 percent of the expense as "ordinary and necessary" to earn the income.

This was changed as part of the most recent tax bill. Oddly, the deduction previously available to an employee is suspended for tax years beginning after 12/31/2017 and before 1/1/2026. So, for 2018 and the foreseeable future, must be a trade or business reported on Schedule C to claim a deduction.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Just to clarify SR's statement, it still applies to your 2017 taxes.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Just to clarify SR's statement, it still applies to your 2017 taxes.

Correct. I almost went back and added that - EE business expense is history for '18-25 and may be moot anyway with the higher STD Deduction.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post