SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your favorite Christmas carol?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your favorite Christmas carol? Login/Join 
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
... mele Kalikimaka is Hawaii’s way to say Merry Christmas.....

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MTJbyrd:
I like Coventry Carol, which isn't even about Christmas, but it has a haunting melody and is very old.

Yes, love this one, too. Here's an all female voice rendition:

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Favorite Secular Song: The Christmas Song (When sung by Nat King Cole).

Favorite Christmas Song: O Holy Night

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Silent night. First one I remember learning.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
If we are talking about a true carol like the OP asked then it's Hark! The Herald Angels Sing

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
O Holy Night, especially Celtic Woman's version.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Silent Night". Perhaps my favorite cover of it is by Enya.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
O Holy Night is my favorite but I do like O Come O Come Emanuel too.

quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:

Yes, love this one, too. Here's an all female voice rendition:

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wit-jGD4wCw" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Beautiful. Such a sad carol. I discovered on Wikipedia that this carol became more known as a Christmas carol in modern times when the BBC broadcast a rendition of it sung from the ruins of Coventry in December of 1940, shortly after the German bombing of Coventry in November of that year.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
"I heard the bells"
When you really listen to the lyrics it's very timely.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
My favorite Christmas carol is pretty much anything made prior to 1970.

Andy Williams, Bing Crosby, Burl Ives, Perry Como, etc.... All of them are good.

When I was young, mom used to put the Firestone Christmas albums on the hi-fi and now whenever I hear those tunes the memories just come flooding back.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
O Holy Night ...

Yup!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
Really like "Christmas in Dixie" by Alabama. Statler Brothers album Christmas Card, I love every song. Darlene Loves "Christmas" is good stuff. Then Beach Boys, hell I just like Christmas music. Brad Paisleys song "Born on Christmas Day" and Alan Jackson's "Let it be Christmas."

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1073 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Pavarotti’s “Gesu Bambino”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BhrZsH9iGYs

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I can't believe no one's mentioned my favorite yet. Bing Crosby singing "Do You Hear What I Hear?"

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Oh Holy Night. Lady at our church sings it and it will bring a tear to your eyes. Done right, and it's not a song for just 'good' vocalists, it's a work of art.

A close second would he Hallelujah. The Pentatonix also did a version of that I really like.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8347 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Star Of Bethlehem

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I don't have an absolute favorite, but I've often thought Still Still Still was one of the most beautiful carols of the season. O Come Emanuel is another.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple white christmas, and Bing Crosby and david bowie duet.

Posts: 122 | Registered: October 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post