SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Metalsmiths? Couple Questions....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Metalsmiths? Couple Questions.... Login/Join 
posted
Hello all!

I've been scouring the internet and haven't had much luck at this point, so I wanted to ask the braintrust here.

Is anyone here capable of, or know someone who is, making a custom cane head?

I have a very specific design in mind, and there are a few similar ones available online, but they're prohibitively expensive for my uses.

Long story short, I use a cane on occasion, and dang it if I'm using a cane at 27 I want it to be a cool one (at least to me Big Grin ) So I'm after a wolf-headed cane much like the one used by Inspector Campbell in Peaky Blinders (which unless I'm very much mistaken is very similar to, if not actually the same cane, from the 2010 remake of The Wolfman, also a favorite movie of mine).

I figure if I can get a hold of the cane head somehow, I'll be able to buy a shaft online somewhere and assemble the thing myself...

What would something like this cost? There is a decent version available, but at around $300, I'm not sure I can afford that for something I do not use 24/7/365...

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
What you need is a jeweler to investment cast you a cane head out of aluminium or zinc.
You can chrome plate the zinc.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I have a very hard time believing you will get a decent-looking piece of custom metalwork done for less than $300.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Not having a clue what peaky blinders is, have you checked out Amazon to see if a style there is similar to what you want?

Might help others to narrow down the style.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
I have a very hard time believing you will get a decent-looking piece of custom metalwork done for less than $300.

^
what he said.

casting can be a challenge, and that'd be the fastest way to do it.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
Having a custom one is going to be way more than $300. I'd 3D print you one if you could fine a file. I found this on Etsy.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5...uEH9nShoCbPQQAvD_BwE

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I’m going to say investment casting also. Costly probably.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can find a cheap one you can figure out a way to make a mold from it and cast a metal one.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

Me to

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am also in PA. I think if you can sculpt one in wood, you and I can cast it in bronze or brass. It then needs to be cleaned up with wire brushes, files etc. and then we polish it. I think we can do it as a sand casting rather than lost wax. More metalwork to do, but easier/less involved that lost wax.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest making a pattern using FDM by printing half the heads. Center and a fix the heads on both sides of a wooden plate. This would allow you to make a cope/drag than you could just carve in the runner and gating system. There might be a local artist foundry that'd be willing to pour for cheap. That's about the only way you'll stay under $300.

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
$300 is cheap for such work.

That's barely a few hours of custom fabrication, 3 @ $100/hr, or 6 @ $50/hr, etc.

I don't think you can get it done for any cheaper, really.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post