SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Car advice needed, for the elderly.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car advice needed, for the elderly. Login/Join 
Picture of JJexp
posted
Hi folks, I need the advice, or more specifically my wife needs the advice from your collective knowledge for a new car acquisition with some unique requirements.

My wife works in an administrative position at an assisted living community, and she's been given the go ahead by the CEO to acquire a new car for the community that's to be used to take folks to their doctors appointmemts. She had spec'd out a few cars, but after we had looked at them, I found some flaws in their suitability and I figured I'd ask you gents for your suggestions.

The major criteria:

The biggest concern is ease of accessibility to the back seat. While most of these folks are mobile, we need to assume that there will be many who'll back up with their walkers, and literally fall back into the seat. From this position, they also need to stand back up with the least amount of effort. This takes most all sedans and suv's out of contention.

Cost under 25k. They're looking to lease a vehicle and 25k gets them under their budgeted max lease of 275 with some money down.

Finally, it needs to have space in the trunk for a walker or two, and possibly even a collapsible wheelchair.

So, what say you? I was thinking of maybe some sort of low slung crossover type vehicle, but I'm sure there are some people here who are more experienced than I in these matters.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JJexp,

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
A Buick comes to mind. But admittedly I am not up to speed on current models. Maybe a Lincoln.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19172 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4 perhaps?

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first thought is that a crossover will be too high to just drop into, especially if the person is short.

The obvious thought is some sort of minivan. Have you considered one of them? Buy some sort of step at the hardware store to put on the curb for the less-flexible people to gain access to the back seats.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9153 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Honda Odyssey

But it would be over budget.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
My initial thoughts are a mini-van. Maybe used with low mileage. Let someone else take the ~15% depreciation hit. Certified Pre-owned Honda Odyssey???

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mini Van- low floor so not a big step to get in, easy to get into and out of the seats and has room for a wheel chair in the back. small SUV's are too ackward for old people to get in and out of.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
We had checked out a few minivans, and the problem is they all have 3rd row seating, with two captains chairs next to the sliding door. The captains chairs are too difficult for a person with limited mobility to climb into in the manner in which a child might be able to.

The building already has several wheelchair accessible passsenger vans for outings, so this vehicle is strictly for 1-2 passengers max for doctors visits.

The crossovers were in contention because they were low enough to not have to climb into, but not so low that they were too difficult to stand up out of with little assistance.

The two crossovers that are in the running are the Honda Fit and the Kia Soul. We plan to check out the Subaru Forrester This weekend, as well as the smaller ford hatchbacks.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Those tiny cars are dam hard to get in and out of off. Especially someone in their eighties or ninties. There is a reason Buicks are popular amongst the older generations. A full size rear door is a Godsend for getting people in and out of.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19172 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Odyssey

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Ford Flex?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Ford Flex?

quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Odyssey

Both are cool cars, but about 5-7 grand over the high end of the 25k budget. It's a tricky puzzle for sure.

Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
A minivan...any mini van. Kia, honda, Dodge, whatever...you may have to go with a pre-owned one.

Posts: 1350 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Lot of older people use the Toyota Camry around here. The 2018 Camry is even larger. I would be cautious about many SUV because of the step up off the ground.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Too bad they don't offer the Grand Marquis any more. Old people loved them, and they were cheap. The new one I bought, in their last year of manufacture, was around $18k and was a nice car.

I agree that the Honda Fit and Kia Soul are lousy choices. A bitch to get in and out of. Does Honda still make the Element? We had one, it was a POS, but maybe we got a lemon.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJexp:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Ford Flex?
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Odyssey
Both are cool cars, but about 5-7 grand over the high end of the 25k budget. It's a tricky puzzle for sure.
Does it have to be new? How about a CPO? Leases are available for pre-owned (sounds so much nicer than "used") vehicles. A few years ago I bought a used mini-van and had the lease structured for a very reasonable buyout at the end. Did it this way because it was for the business and with a lease, the payments were straight deductible.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They stopped making the car you want in 2011 it was called the Lincoln Town Car.
I would find a well maintained low mile unit. You will pay $6500 to $10,000 for an awesome car that was $48,000 new.
The trunks are huge.
If you find an L model either an Executive L or a Signature L. They are 6" longer than a regular town car and all that is in the back seat.

I'm sure they think getting a brand new car is better but It is hard to beat a Town Car.

https://www.carsforsale.com/Se...ipCode=51106&Radius=

-----------------
Silenced on the net, Just like Trump

Posts: 578 | Location: SUX | Registered: May 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at a Ford Edge. Easy in / out.

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheni:
Lincoln Town Car... The trunks are huge.
You could put three stiffs in there

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
What you should do is take a field trip to the dealers with those you'll be transporting and let them try and get in and out of the vehicles.

Might make getting a better deal easier too. Pull on the heart strings and all, if they have those.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post