SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hats Off to the Stay at Home Parents
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hats Off to the Stay at Home Parents Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
Holy shit. I seriously don’t see how my wife does this on a daily basis without going insane. We have a 5 and 3 year old; obviously, school is out. If one more person asked me for a goddamn snack...

Today it’s my turn to get up with them.

3yo son: “Can I have a waffle?”
Me: Gets out the waffles and heats one up. (don’t feel like making them from scratch)
Him: “I want cereal.”
Me: Puts up the waffles and gets cereal. Makes bowl.
Him: “Can I have strawberries?”
Me: Gets out and cuts up strawberries.
5yo daughter: Gets up. “Can I have waffles?”
3yo son: “I want a waffle, too!”

If I had to do this full time, I would have eaten at least one of them by now.

Thank you, stay at home moms and dads!!!

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Learn to say "NO!" Smile

Posts: 2538 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Try having four of em all under the age of 10. Eek Being a stay at home parent is one of the most stressful and least appreciated occupations on this planet. The pay sucks too. Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I am home with 5 & 7 year old boys as a result of various Covid shutdowns. I can totally relate with everything you typed. Eek

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've been working remotely for the last 2 weeks. Mine are 8 & 5, so a bit more self sufficient, but definitely a different kind of distraction while trying to work.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Children can snack all day long. Momma, can I have a..... gets repeated a thousand times a day. It's a different world when Dad's home at our house. Mom makes the world go round but she's a little too soft and lenient and kids take advantage of it.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Helpful hints.

Teach them to be self sufficient. Get individual servings (chips, cereal, etc) when they are younger and can't easily 'get it themselves' from larger boxes / bags.

Learn you can say no. If you cater to their every whim, you'll be catering to their every whim.

Like most everything else, it is what you make of it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
No problem saying “no” most of the time. This is one of the few instances the wife gets to sleep in, so I was trying to avoid any noise.

My post was not a call for advice, rather it is just sharing one of those whimsical parenting moments that I figured others who have similar experiences would appreciate. Those without kids, I figured would also find it humorous.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
^^All true above, and nothing new.

Gotta kinda chuckle that for some of you, this seems like the first time you're spending full day(s) being full-time parents with you kids, possibly solo.

$.02 worth.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Not my first solo by any means. However, with the pandemic BS, it is becoming more...pronounced.

I still get to work my 9/80, though.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You should have given them chocolate cake...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Hah! Cue the meme from Matrix where Morpheus says ”what if I told you your dad could also get you snacks?”
I have to say things have intensified since my little one is now home from school all day and me still trying to do something resembling work. It’s certainly not as easy as it was when he was smaller and more easily entertained. But he is reasonably self sufficient about food these days, it’s just watching him pour that makes me cringe.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Any a puppy. Wink

Every parent appreciates that tongue-in-cheek threat :

'Unattended children will be given an espresso and a free puppy.'

And yes..give parents another few weeks of '...and now homeschool too' on top of working ( if they're fortunate enough to retain employment). Especially those living in apartments or condos without at least a yard to burn off some of that kid-energy.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Drum Sets for all neices and nephews!

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My wife is a stay-at-home mom. We have four kids, 11, 9, 7, and 4. The three oldest are in school, and the youngest stays home. I work nights on 12-hr shifts, and sleep mornings, so she takes on a lot of the kid responsibilities, although I am home during the day and half the nights, so I do my part as well.

I try to give her opportunities to go out by herself when I can, even if it's just to the store. She's out taking a walk right now and I'm home with the kids.

Our kids are pretty self-sufficient and well behaved. They've been entertained with Legos for the last 3 weeks, and showing no sign of slowing down. We expect them to do most things for themselves, and even the 4-year-old can handle basic chores like clearing the table and picking up his toys. Yeah, they have bad days, and the 11 y/o and the 7 y/o bicker at each other a lot, but they get shut down quick when it starts.

I have actually really been enjoying the slower pace of the "lockdown". No running the kids to and from school every day. No ridiculous, unnecessary social obligations that my wife likes to commit us to, and I've lost all of my overtime work, which was mostly school related, so I'm home more. There is a significant financial hit from that, but the extra time at home is nice, and I'm lucky to still be working. Plus I'm not paying for my wife to drive our kids and the carpool kids to school and all over creation in a Suburban every day anymore, so that softens the financial hit.

We were already planning to home school the oldest next year when he starts 7th grade (current school only goes up to 6th). I told my wife the other day that we should homeschool them all next year. She's not there yet, but I'm working on her. The kids have been loving this...they get their e-learning done by 10 or 11am, and then they get to play for the rest of the day.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:

Eggs, flour, milk..., everything a growing body needs.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
The homeschooling is a bigger issue, if its a crash course. In our neck of the woods, most of the elementary teachers have been well set in their ways in traditional teaching methods...kiddos in the seats, teacher at the whiteboard with some Chromebook thrown in.

Now all of the sudden the elementary teachers are having to learn/run online classroom curriculum...and that's a bit of a bumpy road. That's if the students have computer access at home. IF not, its an even taller hurdle to get paper to/from, grading etc. If a school has been thrown into this cold, its a very steep learning curve.

And parents are having adjust to all this as well, on top of trying to work when/where they can. Lots of multitasking/balancing going on.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
It's never simple/easy.

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

Eggs, flour, milk..., everything a growing body needs.

“.... Dad is great give us the chocolate cake !”

Posts: 3496 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I didn't know people got a choice of what to eat until I was a teenager. Seriously. When us four kids were called to eat, our plates were already served and waiting... we weren't allow to get up and leave until the plate was was clean, even if that took two hours. Only exception was breakfast cereal, you had you pick of what was on hand. No choice at school either, you got what they gave you... but you didn't have to eat it there at least.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My parents kept it simple. I ate what was prepared or went hungry. And they often beat me until my attitude improved.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post