SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This exhaust leak should be easy to fix right?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This exhaust leak should be easy to fix right? Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
The past few times I've started my Yamaha I've noticed a small puddle underneath the bike. The puddle bothered me but it was not gasoline or oil or coolant so I shrugged it off. The back my mind it did kind of bug me though having a leak of some sort and not knowing where it was coming from. Today I discovered the origin of the leak. This should be easy to fix right?

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/89s-IAJaPm0

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
First thing I would try is loosening up the clamp, removing the pipe, and trying to reseat it again. At least you will get a better idea of whats going on. Even if you have to r&r anything, it should be a piece of cake. Good luck, easy fix I'm certain.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Stops once its warmed up?
H2O. Hydrocarbons and oxygen do that.

Posts: 9505 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Water is a normal byproduct of combustion. Accumulation of it, without being blown/dried out from riding, is what rusts the system up. Is exhaust actually leaking from that joint? Do you feel exhaust coming out on your hand?

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yepp. It stops once it warms up. I didn't feel any exhaust leak from the joint. I'm glad this is what was causing that puddle under the bike when I first start it. This gives me an excuse to briefly remove the muffler and see how it sounds. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Like the exhaust on my Xterra, it leaks water in about seven places. Big Grin

I'd leave it, better to let the water out.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Is it possible that's a purposeful water drain? That joint is the lowest point in the system.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Yepp. It stops once it warms up. I didn't feel any exhaust leak from the joint. I'm glad this is what was causing that puddle under the bike when I first start it. This gives me an excuse to briefly remove the muffler and see how it sounds. Big Grin

Leave it. This is what it is supposed to do. egregore is correct.

Posts: 5199 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Had that issue on a 2012 BMW R1200R I bought new.

Had a tire change and the exhaust was removed and replaced - leak gone.

It's all about the fit of the pipe.

Remove, reinstall, tighten - GTG.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Permatex copper high temp sealant, any auto parts store

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I looked at it and the sealant looks like it is cracked at the bottom. It actually looks to be cracked in a few places. I don't believe it was designed to drain from that spot. It only seems to drain when running anyway so I'm going to reseal it. Thanks HRK!

The muffler doesn't seem to do much in regards to sound reduction. I can't wait to see how it sounds with just the header attached.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
Remove the muffler and you'll lose performance. Muffler created back pressure which the engine's timing is designed for.

You may not be riding it enough. Take it for a good hard and long ride; see if it eliminates or vastly reduces the drip next time you start it.

Lastly, I own two Harley big twins. Trust me; that leak of a bit of condensation is nothing to concern yourself about. Smile

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

Anytime the exhaust had to come off of my VFR I had to take it on a short spin before it went back on.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, you are basically telling me to take the exhaust off my Son's 96 VFR and go for a ride Big Grin

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest that while you have the clamp loose you take the opportunity to take it off and turn it around so the threaded end points toward the center of the bike rather than outward.

It will look cleaner, and that is the way it was delivered when new!

I agree with the others that you probably have loaded the system with condensation while letting it idle/loaf around the neighborhood, enjoying the sound. Take it out and work it hard for a bit, getting it up to full temp for more than a few minutes to evaporate the condensation throughout the system. The muffler packing can absorb and hold a surprising amount of water, which needs to be condensed or blown out the back.

Enjoy!
Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
hvyhawler, yes absolutely. The V4 is quite possibly the best sounding engine to ever be created by mankind. Let her sing unrestricted. Big Grin. Please, if you can, record it so that us lesser beings stuck with V twins and inline fours can enjoy the siren sound of a unmuffled V4.

dsmack, the ride before I started and filmed the R1 pissing on my driveway she did the ton twice and then some. I like to let my inline fours sing their glorious song Wink . It has rained for a few days and the R1 briefly got rained on (it's been monsoon season here in NC the past few days) the day before it was started and filmed so I'm thinking that is why I was able to finally find the source of the liquid leak that had been bugging me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
Once the weather warms up and the rain quits, we will get her out... Have a new battery and fresh insurance quotes...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvyhawler:
So, you are basically telling me to take the exhaust off my Son's 96 VFR and go for a ride Big Grin

Oh yes, V4 and gear driven cams? I can't think of anything that sounds better.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
quote:
Originally posted by hvyhawler:

Oh yes, V4 and gear driven cams? I can't think of anything that sounds better.

I can think of one better. Well, better than the VFR that is....Ever heard a Yamaha V-Max! It sounds like a Small-Block Chevy V8 with the right intake and exhaust work! Big Grin

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8879 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The V-Max is a V4. I don't know if it has gear driven cams but the V4 is why is sounds so beastly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~