SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Holy Moly, It’s Definitely A Seller’s Market For Real Estate: Update Pg 4
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holy Moly, It’s Definitely A Seller’s Market For Real Estate: Update Pg 4 Login/Join 
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Even in California! Every single home in our neighborhood that goes up gets purchased over asking!

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Update: my place was on the market for 5.5 days, we got 8 offers and accepted one at $21,000 over asking price. Here I was thinking I’d be lucky to get asking price but we managed to be in a position to sell at the perfect time.

Crazy Eek

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Update: my place was on the market for 5.5 days, we got 8 offers and accepted one at $21,000 over asking price. Here I was thinking I’d be lucky to get asking price but we managed to be in a position to sell at the perfect time.

Crazy Eek

Nice. Congrats.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK62tfoCmuQ

Blood Sweat & Tears - Spinning wheel (1968)

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been following real estate near Traverse City, Michigan. It is a desirable area, but Holy Cow! I don't know if it was due to bidding wars but two properties increased virtually overnight, one by 60K, and the other by 117K.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When do apartment rates skyrocket ?

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
When do apartment rates skyrocket ?

In my area they already are high and that's part of what's driving these crazy prices.
Anybody that can qualify for a mortgage, ,,can get a low or almost no down payment house payment that is less than a rental payment.
What happens when the music stops is the real question.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:

Crazy Eek

Now the flip side. Do you have to buy in this same market? It goes both ways....congrats on the sale!

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:

Now the flip side. Do you have to buy in this same market? It goes both ways....congrats on the sale!

Nope! This was a second property, we bought the house we live in now 3 years ago and aren’t going anywhere. Snagged that in an estate sale and it’s already appreciated in value pretty well which is nice.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:

Nope! This was a second property, we bought the house we live in now 3 years ago and aren’t going anywhere. Snagged that in an estate sale and it’s already appreciated in value pretty well which is nice.

Winning! Congrats again! Well played.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm caught up in all this as well.

I understand what is going on, but it was time for us to move. Neighborhood is definitely changing for the worse, not to mention I had no room for my vehicles, boat, and old car. I got the room I needed plus a pool for my daughter and the change I think WE ALL needed. This will be the final place I call home after 22 years of being at my current home.

I paid a premium, but I also made out selling my home so it all evens out. The new neighborhood is 10X better and I'm centrally located between three cities.

Posts: 396 | Location: Sunny SoCal | Registered: September 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Now I just have to fill out paperwork and write some checks as everyone wants their “Vig” for ME to sell MY OWN property.

City wants a U&O inspection + their cut

HOA requires paperwork and their cut for the “privilege” of selling property that is mine
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
In my area they already are high and that's part of what's driving these crazy prices.
Anybody that can qualify for a mortgage, ,,can get a low or almost no down payment house payment that is less than a rental payment.

Yep. In this area, rental houses and apartments are pretty much being relegated to people who either:

A) Can't qualify for a mortgage due to bad credit or unsteady employment,
B) Haven't yet found a house to buy in their price range, since they're gobbled up just about as fast as they're listed, or
C) Purposely want to rent since they don't want the hassles of DIY maintenance

Because a house payment on a decent house is noticeably cheaper than a rent payment on a decent apartment or especially a decent rental house around here, and many of the houses in the area qualify for FHA or USDA loans with minimal (or no) down payment required.

So with a 0% down mortgage qualification with a super-low interest rate, plus a few extra grand in the bank to pay for closing costs (thanks to the stimulus checks), tons of renters are trying to buy a house and actually lower their monthly housing payments.

My fear is that in several years when the current house buying frenzy has inevitably calmed once interest rates go back up, and values are no longer being artificially inflated, these kind of marginal homebuyers won't have held back enough to cover maintenance and upkeep so their houses will start falling apart and actually lower surrounding property value.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now I just have to fill out paperwork and write some checks as everyone wants their “Vig” for ME to sell MY OWN property.

HOA requires paperwork and their cut for the “privilege” of selling property that is mine

Is the city inspection a requirement?

For the HOA, what do the Bylaws say?

For the latter, if the Bylaws do not address anything about needing to pay the HOA to sell (and I bet, 3 months after the deal closes, the new owners will get a similar bill for the "privilege" of moving in), tell them where to go.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:

When I was moving out of my condo, which I owned, in VA to AZ, the HOA property mgr. said I needed to send him a "move fee" check for $150. I asked him if he was going to send some people over to help me move. He said the fee was for any damage caused to the curbs or grass by the moving truck. I told him to send me a bill if there is any damage. Never sent him a check and never heard about it again.

Posts: 3532 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

Is the city inspection a requirement?

For the HOA, what do the Bylaws say?

For the latter, if the Bylaws do not address anything about needing to pay the HOA to sell (and I bet, 3 months after the deal closes, the new owners will get a similar bill for the "privilege" of moving in), tell them where to go.

The racket here is that escrow requires a copy of the HOA docs to close. HOA charges $300-500 to produce a set of documents that should already be ready to go. Can't produce your own, needs to come from the HOA. So annoying.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

The racket here is that escrow requires a copy of the HOA docs to close. HOA charges $300-500 to produce a set of documents that should already be ready to go. Can't produce your own, needs to come from the HOA. So annoying.

That's it exactly. I can't get to closing without paying the city and the HOA their tribute. Confused

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Just got a note from my agent that she wants to show the house Friday evening.

That's more action in just over a week than we had the whole year it was on the market last time.

I'm torn between wanting to sell and dreading the hassle of moving, finding temporary quarters and storage and getting the new modular up and ready to move into. That's gonna be a solid 6 to 9 months of uproar.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Just got a note from my agent that she wants to show the house Friday evening.

That's more action in just over a week than we had the whole year it was on the market last time.

I'm torn between wanting to sell and dreading the hassle of moving, finding temporary quarters and storage and getting the new modular up and ready to move into. That's gonna be a solid 6 to 9 months of uproar.

After this last move from Washington to Arizona, then from the AZ rental into our current home, it would have to be quite the miracle to make me move. I can’t imagine doing it again. I’ll probably live here forever.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife's cousin just put her home up for sale in Sugar Hill, GA last week. Small 3BR, 2 2bath ranch with 1/2 finished basement and a second 2 1/2 car garage in the back. Listed at 280K last Friday. Offers came in on Friday ay 270K, 290K, and 310K. Had another final offer on Sunday stating that the buyer would pay 1K over the highest offer. The realtor did not bother showing the house on Monday as the cousin agreed to sell at 311K. The cousin had purchased the home two years ago for around 185K and added another 20K in upgrades. It's just crazy here in Gwinnett county!

Posts: 466 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post