SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Unlocked international cell phone?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unlocked international cell phone? Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
Kicking some tires on the S6 Edge plus as I like its 5.7" screen size. It sells on Amazon NIB for around $480.00 with a Cricket sim card. That's a deal for a device which was up at $840.00 plus. It's a International model and I read its charger and a few other minor things about it, may be different than a US market phone. Would you know about a International model phone? Will all be good useing it here in America? Eeek, its $575.00

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Most chargers for small electronic devices will accept 110 to 240 volts from the wall, the electronics in the wall charger shouldn't be a problem.

The charger might not have the flat bladed prongs that we have here in north America. You might need a cheap adapter piece, like the one below to adapt the round plugs used in Europe and Asia with the north American bladed plugs.

https://www.amazon.com/Ceptics...nternational+adapter

The better option, of course, is to just buy a replacement S6 Fast charger. It's about $10 here:

https://www.overstock.com/Elec...ro79ICFZRsfgod_ScBfg

The radios on the S6 should work fine with the GSM frequencies here in North America. Most phones these days work everywhere.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Very nice and I thank you. That fast charger is similar to the one I have now for my Galaxy.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think that's a deal at all.

A couple of weeks ago, Samsung direct had the S7 for $395 and S7 Edge (5.5" display) for $494. Maybe it is still available now. All are brand new with full warranty.

ETA: yes still available

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JD83
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Kicking some tires on the S6 Edge plus as I like its 5.7" screen size. It sells on Amazon NIB for around $480.00 with a Cricket sim card. That's a deal for a device which was up at $840.00 plus. It's a International model and I read its charger and a few other minor things about it, may be different than a US market phone. Would you know about a International model phone? Will all be good useing it here in America? Eeek, its $575.00

I looked at the S6 but settled on the Motorola/Moto G Play(4th Gen.)unlocked
GSM phone at around $150. Since this phone will mostly be used for travel, I couldn't see spending a lot of money on another phone. It's got great reviews on Amazon,4G LTE speed, and its screen size is about the same as the S6 phone. As far as adapters-they're fairly inexpensive(for use here in the states I'v got a T-Mobile pay-as-you-go sim inside it at about $3 a month).

Posts: 352 | Location: Blue Heaven  | Registered: April 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
Check out One Plus. I have the One Plus 3, it's a great phone and cheaper than the Samsung with way better specs. It also comes with a fast charger. It will work on GSM networks just about anywhere. I'm using it in Guatemala now, but it works just fine in the U.S. too.

https://oneplus.net/

Posts: 354 | Location: Guatemala | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
I don't think that's a deal at all.

A couple of weeks ago, Samsung direct had the S7 for $395 and S7 Edge (5.5" display) for $494. Maybe it is still available now. All are brand new with full warranty.

ETA: yes still available
What a nice deal. Maybe I will go this route, being as its AT&T and I like Cricket for my service. Thank you.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD83:
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:

I looked at the S6 but settled on the Motorola/Moto G Play(4th Gen.)unlocked
GSM phone at around $150. Since this phone will mostly be used for travel, I couldn't see spending a lot of money on another phone. It's got great reviews on Amazon,4G LTE speed, and its screen size is about the same as the S6 phone. As far as adapters-they're fairly inexpensive(for use here in the states I'v got a T-Mobile pay-as-you-go sim inside it at about $3 a month).
I really like the plus size phone of the S6 and, I would even be pleased with their Note 5 phone.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
WOOT! has a sale today, Samsung phones.

Take a look and see if there's anything there that will meet your needs.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rover88
posted Hide Post
Some of the international model phones don't operate on all of the same bands as the US versions. Case in point, I bought a Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini international last year that does not operate on (I think) Band 4 (I'll report the actual frequency later today), so my data is limited to 3G, as ATT uses Band 4 for the 4G.

Posts: 640 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigbuck5:
Check out One Plus. I have the One Plus 3, it's a great phone and cheaper than the Samsung with way better specs. It also comes with a fast charger. It will work on GSM networks just about anywhere. I'm using it in Guatemala now, but it works just fine in the U.S. too.

https://oneplus.net/

This. Works everywhere but Japan, Korea, and the Verizon cell system.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31440 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post