SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yellowstone.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yellowstone. Login/Join 
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
We go to a Montana ranch each summer and was there again with my family in late June.

Visited Yellowstone again....Can’t really add too much more.

Mammoth will have elk.

The road from mammoth and Roosevelt tower toward Cody will probably have the best chance of spotting carnivores/omnivores.

West Yellowstone is a great little town and the drive from there to MADISON is gorgeous. Elk here too.

Grand Prismatic Spring along firehole river is our favorite feature. You may plan for time to also park in the far lot and hike to the small knoll located above the spring for a classic birds eye view of this spring. Sunset pictures here from the lower boardwalk level are just remarkable!

My Washburn will also offer nice sunset pictures.

Also love the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone and all of the trails and overlooks offer incredible views. The waterfall overlook and the eastern approach were our favorites.

Had the opportunity to spot some goats on a distant mountainside cliff this year so also suggest you bring a spotting scope and/or good binoculars.

Enjoy!

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Good recommendations so far.
I will add drive to the top of Mt. Washburn late in the afternoon. It’s over 10,000 ft. And you can usually see a lot of wildlife.

Bring a good telephoto lens and maybe a spotting scope with tripod if you can.

Can you drive up Mt Washburn? We hiked it on our first trip, there was no access for vehicles.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
Having lived in Cooke(d) City, Yellowstone NP (worker bee) and the Greater Yellowstone area for many years this is a bit difficult to comprehend: https://www.yellowstone.co/stats.htm

Use to be home to the Sheepeaters but now is the 'home' to the sheep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TugEGRRWasc

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trebor44,

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Good recommendations so far.
I will add drive to the top of Mt. Washburn late in the afternoon. It’s over 10,000 ft. And you can usually see a lot of wildlife.

Bring a good telephoto lens and maybe a spotting scope with tripod if you can.

Can you drive up Mt Washburn? We hiked it on our first trip, there was no access for vehicles.

Yes you can.
We even drove a Class C motor home up there but it was over the posted length (!).

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Finalizing some of our plans. Going the first week in Oct. Splitting time between Yellowstone and Tetons.

Working on narrowing down some hikes at each place. Looks like some of the higher elevations may be a no go with snow.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Old faithful if your going. I actually thought Grand Teton was nicer and decidedly less crowded. We went 4th of July week.

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
I didn’t see anyone mention Storm Point on Yellowstone Lake. It’s a short hike there off the road and very picturesque.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
This is very timely as my girlfriend and I are planning on meeting some friends at the BMW MOA in Great Falls next June and she has always wanted to visit Yellowstone.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:
This is very timely as my girlfriend and I are planning on meeting some friends at the BMW MOA in Great Falls next June and she has always wanted to visit Yellowstone.

Valpo, I attended the MOA circa 1999 in Missoula. Especially on a MC you want to catch "Chief Joseph Highway" as it comes west into Cody. Also run the Beartooth Highway out of the NE gate up to Red Lodge MT. That one may be my favorite alltime MC experience. Absolutely stunning. Just saw the June. Depending on snow load Beartooth may not be open as it is largely above 10,000 feet.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I went the last week in August, stayed at a ranch outside of Cody, did Yellowstone, a bunch of horseback riding, the Museum of the West in Cody, went to the Cody Rodeo and generally had an awesome time. I'd be pleased to share the photos, but it appears that postimage.org is down at the moment, and I can't get to them.

A

ETA: Here's the link to my prior post of Postimage.org decides to work.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7520006064

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
We went the first time this May, just after park reopened. 15th-20th. There's some risk of weather still then, but pretty much all the animals are back out and about.

Staying in the park a couple nights was great fun, and made for a better base of operations. We stayed in Canyon Village - not as old-school as some other spots but more centrally located.

You'll get a lot of great ideas, but my best advice I'd offer to anyone who can swing it is to go on a private driven tour of the park with a guide who knows their way around. And start as early as they/you can stomach, the park is big and to get from spot to spot takes some time.

You, or any others, are welcome to email me for a contact for "Amy" who we used. She was amazing, had come to the park after high school graduation in 1988 and simply never left. She knew it like you'd know your back yard, and everywhere we went everyone knew her. Best day riding around in a tour van ever!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12416 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
medlem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
From Cooke City you can drive to Red Lodge over the Beartooth Highway and the Chief Joseph Highway to Cody, we did both.

Great advice and great views on this trip. Red Lodge is a cute little town to walk around in as well.

Since the weather gets unpredictable during the time you are coming, I recommend calling the park on the day you plan to go. It sucks driving an hour to the park only to find that particular entrance is closed. If you have a route through the park planned for that day, make sure the entrance you plan on leaving through is open as well.

My must sees include Old Faithful, just to check it off your list, and the Grand Prismatic.

If you have any questions about the area, I live in Cody and would be happy to help. My email address is in my profile.

Posts: 2242 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: September 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 15 miles north of Red Lodge on Hwy 78 lies Roscoe MT. Home of the Grizzly Bar and one of the best burgers I’ve ever had. They sell a cool T-shirt too

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tn226,

Posts: 772 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Go up and out of the North east entrance into Cooke and on the left if a tourist trap called The Yellowstone Trading post... spend a couple dollars in there on gifts for take home and you can go into their wild life museum in a separate room... this is full of every animal that lives in the park... It is amazing and well worth it. Cooke is a true frontier town.... practically only one street.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been out there twice in late May-early June. Crowds weren't terrible, but building. My wife and I are considering Oct 16-23 next year to see it in the Fall. Are we crazy to go that late?

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Yellowstone has to be the strangest place on earth.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I've been out there twice in late May-early June. Crowds weren't terrible, but building. My wife and I are considering Oct 16-23 next year to see it in the Fall. Are we crazy to go that late?

No.

BTW, the "*shoulder seasons" are not the same as they were just 10 years ago. There used to be an average of roughly 3 million visitors/year to the GYA. For several years the average has been more like 5 million. A lot of the increased visitation is from China. Lots of them. Good idea to have your lodging locked in before you go. Takes the spontaneity out of the trip, but probably safer--at least when you are in, or near, the two NPs.

*Shoulder seasons were primarily "the newly married and the nearly buried" as the locals put it.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I was in Yellowstone a few months ago in late September. It was a little chilly and the crowds weren’t too bad. The hike to Storm Point is enjoyable with a great view of the lake. A little further south is Lake Butte scenic overlook. You can drive to it and it offers a great view of the lake from a much higher vantage point.

We drove out of the south entrance to check out Jackson, Wyoming. On the way, my son was amazed at the view of the Teton mountains. I wish we had explored Grand Teton National Park because it looks magnificent. When we return, we will spend most of our time there instead of Yellowstone.

While we were stopped at one of the pull outs on the loop road, I chatted with one of the workers that was putting out the snow marker poles. I asked him where is the best place to see brown bears and Moose. He said “Canada” and then laughed. Then he recommended Lamar Valley for bears and along the Snake River near Jackson for Moose.

Bring a spotting scope because the only animals you will see up close are Bison. Be prepared for rain and cold. Pack a lunch because the restaurants in the park are not very good.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
Must see: geyser basin, grand canyon/tower junction, mammoth hot springs, Lamar valley. There is a road called Blacktail Plateau Dr that breaks up from the main road ( Grand Loop) at the north end of the park. Its a dirt road and kinda bumpy but just about any car can manage. Ive seen lots of wildlife off of that road, especially bears. Gardiner, MT is good place to stay the night

Did this last September. Saw tons of game, though not as many elk as when I was there in the late 80's.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
So those that have been any must do's any anything that really wasn't worth it.
I visited there circa 1984-85. No, there isn't anything that "isn't worth it."

If you have time for a spectacular scenic drive outside the park, go to Cooke City, MT and take US 212, the Beartooth Highway, to Red Lodge. Bing Images - Beartooth Highway

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post