SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yellowstone.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yellowstone. Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted
Looking at Yellowstone for my next big trip. So those that have been any must do's any anything that really wasn't worth it.

Would like to get some amazing pictures so any special spots. Sunset/Sunrise locations.

Looking at early June or Oct. next year. Leaning towards Oct. I have flexibility when I travel so avoiding the crowds is a huge consideration. Those two months seem to be the best times to visit.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I know others will give specific recommendations, so I'll just point you to the pictures I took of the park and environs in 2009:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157622582484503/ (at the end) and
https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157622594876901/.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
we went three times in late Sept-early oct.
pretty much had the whole place to our selves.
its not uncommon for them to start closing
select portions , around that time.

best to call the ranger station two months in advance to see what they are scheduling , when.

prep yourself for this,
I had never heard one before,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYzWmKlZtrU

and at 2 in the a.m. one of these A hole's
crept up 20 feet from the truck and let her rip.

went nuts trying to decide weather to poop or go crazy .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
October is in my opinion the best time to visit the park. Crowds arent an issue and youre right in the middle of the rut. Must see: geyser basin, grand canyon/tower junction, mammoth hot springs, Lamar valley. There is a road called Blacktail Plateau Dr that breaks up from the main road ( Grand Loop) at the north end of the park. Its a dirt road and kinda bumpy but just about any car can manage. Ive seen lots of wildlife off of that road, especially bears. Gardiner, MT is good place to stay the night, or W. Yellowstone. Jackson is worth a visit too with the Tetons.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
There is such a thing as too early if you intend to camp. We went the second week of June and the water was not turned on in most campsites.

It’s a really big place, fuel use must be taken into account, just be aware of the distance to get back to a gas station. We camped so it wasn’t like we were in town every evening.

I would set aside a day for Cody,WY and 2 would probably not be a waste.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:

...I would set aside a day for Cody,WY and 2 would probably not be a waste.

https://centerofthewest.org/explore/firearms/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
October is in my opinion the best time to visit the park. Crowds arent an issue and youre right in the middle of the rut. Must see: geyser basin, grand canyon/tower junction, mammoth hot springs, Lamar valley. There is a road called Blacktail Plateau Dr that breaks up from the main road ( Grand Loop) at the north end of the park. Its a dirt road and kinda bumpy but just about any car can manage. Ive seen lots of wildlife off of that road, especially bears. Gardiner, MT is good place to stay the night, or W. Yellowstone. Jackson is worth a visit too with the Tetons.

You said everything that I was going to say. Pretty much covered it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I went there in June, 1980 or '81 and it snowed so hard, they closed the park. Sure sucked in summer clothing.

Posts: 3530 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:

...I would set aside a day for Cody,WY and 2 would probably not be a waste.

https://centerofthewest.org/explore/firearms/

Beat me to it.

The week after Labor day the Parks really clear out. Great time to visit. II do more hiking in Glacier NP in September than June-August. FAR fewer people. And far fewer stupid loud Harleys to ruin the silence too.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Also, Cody, WY and the museum there. We stayed in Cody. Is a bit of a drive to the park from there but not bad.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
September(after school starts) and early October are really a great time to go. Mid summer...hope you speak Japanese or some kinda non English, busloads and cars backed up. All wanna creep on the Bison and take a selfie. If you are a fly fishing guy, some awesome spots throughout that section of our state.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Dogs not allowed in many areas of any National Park. If you have a dog you are probably gonna want to leave it home with family/friends or in a kennel or you will miss a lot.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Don't go in late June, anytime in July or August. Too many people, the vast majority of whom are idiots

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went there 2 summers ago and had an awesome time. Must do’s are avalanche peqk and the thunderer, must avoids I’d say old faithful, it’s neat to walk around but standing in the crowds to see water spray in the air is anti climatic.

Grand prismatic is ok, can’t see much at all from ground level but there’s a short walk up to an overlook where you can get some good views/pics.

Other than that I’ve only backpacked there, not places where you can visit from a car.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I've been twice, both times in mid-Sept. Both times we got weather and there was some snow at elevation. I think early October would be OK but later you might get closed out of some areas.

We stayed a few nights in W. Yellowstone both times. The second trip we stayed a couple of nights in Cooke City, NE Entrance, loved it. From Cooke City you can drive to Red Lodge over the Beartooth Highway and the Chief Joseph Highway to Cody, we did both.

Get up early and go the either Hayden Valley or
Lamar Valley, lots of activity with wildlife. We saw Elk, Buffalo, Wolves and Grizzly.

There's a guide book called "Yellowstone Trails", I couldn't get it on line, found it at the visitors center in Mammoth. Came highly recommended, we used it quite a bit.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
My mother went to Grand Teton and Yellowstone this year, second week of June. She liked Teton better than Yellowstone, just because there were less people and she was able to photograph more wildlife in Teton. However, she did love seeing the hot springs. It did snow on her, a few inches if I recall correctly, and there were some days with highs in the 40's.

Posts: 2287 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
We drove down from Little Big Horn to Red Lodge and the next morning crossed the Beartooth Highway during the first week it was open. Entered the Park after Cooke City and had the Lamar Valley spread before us with just an incredible number of bison. Stayed at Mammoth Hot Springs and Yellowstone Lake and saw a comfortable amount of the Park with many easy hikes. Would go back to see more.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
If you go to the Grand Tetons NP, I recommend taking a raft cruise on the Snake River. It's fun, and the view of the mountains is great.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tetons are far more beautiful and majestic than anything you will see in Yellowstone.

Hike around Jenny Lake and out to the falls. If you are in shape - hike out to Cascade Canyon. (runs adjacent to Grand Teton)

In early June or Sept/Oct you can see everything in Yellowstone in 3 days. Leave a 4th for Cody !

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Good recommendations so far.
I will add drive to the top of Mt. Washburn late in the afternoon. It’s over 10,000 ft. And you can usually see a lot of wildlife.

Bring a good telephoto lens and maybe a spotting scope with tripod if you can.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post