SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HVAC professionals - I need some help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HVAC professionals - I need some help Login/Join 
Picture of bjor13
posted
We have a newer Rheem heat pump (still covered under parts warranty)

Last week we could not heat over 62 degrees when it was in the high 30's outside. I reset all the breakers and replaced the filter. The house quickly regained its heat.

A week on, new filter in place and looks clean, its doing it again. I reset the breakers, pulled the filter completely and I gained 1 degree, but then theaux heat kicked on - it seems too warm for aux heat to kick on. Is there anything smoke I can check before I have someone make a service call at possibly weekend rates?

Posts: 1017 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Can't help you on the heat pump diagnosis, but can help with some math. Emergency rates > Emergency heat.

Just switch it in to AUX or EM Heat to get you through until Monday or Tuesday. Yes you will be killing your electric bill, but it will not equal the 1.5x or 2x rates for emergency service.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lee40215
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it wasn’t charged properly or they have a Freon leak when it was installed

Posts: 1097 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: August 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee40215:
Sounds like it wasn’t charged properly or they have a Freon leak when it was installed

This is what it sounds like to me. OP: Check to see if the outside coils are frozen over when this is happening.

Even with a properly functioning unit it is possible for emergency heat to come on, if your house isn't that well insulated and it's 30F outside.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
There is a lock out on your unit due to some sort of malfunction. When you remove power, and return power, you “unlock” the relay allowing it to run again.

I would suggest emergency or aux heat for weekend, and call service company for Monday to have a technician look over it. Unless it is warranted now, then I would call now. I would not keep resetting unit, as it is trying to protect itself. And you may be causing more harm than good.

Good luck!

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Does your outside compressor/condenser have an electric heating element?

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I hate to break this to you, but you have probably the worst HVAC system sold today. I have two Rheem/RUUD pieces of shit and have spent literally thousands of dollars over twelve years keeping them running.

Stick it to them as best you can under warranty because the hits just keep coming.

Next breakdown, I am replacing the main unit with a reliable product.

I wish you better luck than I.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just switch it in to AUX or EM Heat to get you through until Monday or Tuesday. Yes you will be killing your electric bill, but it will not equal the 1.5x or 2x rates for emergency service.

I had one house in Nebraska equipped with a heat pump. Who in hell puts a heat pump on a house in an area that regularly see -20F temps? Well, the reverser valve went one winter and we ran resistance/emergency heat all winter. The power bill went DOWN!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post