New
Find
Notify
Tools

Linemen Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
If any of you guys are linemen or family, thank you for your service and/or sacrifice. That group may have more of my respect and appreciation than any other single job.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arflattop
posted Hide Post
I second that. When we had the ice storm in KY a few years back, linemen worked day and night to get the power back on. A heartfelt thanks from us civilians...

JPFO Life Member

Posts: 1216 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Dad did that sort of work for nearly 40 years.
He's got some stories! Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
If any of you guys are linemen or family, thank you for your service and/or sacrifice. That group may have more of my respect and appreciation than any other single job.
On the way home from work today I saw about 30 bucket trucks heading South on I-85 toward Florida. All within a 10 mile stretch of highway. Thanks for the work you do.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Some great, hard working guys. I worked for a power company for 10 years and got to know a bunch of them. Tough job with some long hours.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDt4HZx4MP4

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Ya gotta love pole dancers.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The guys who do the emergency work out here are called "Trouble Man". My next door neighbor is an APS Trouble Man. They have to be good trouble shooters, and they are. They work with from the highest power transmission lines to neighborhood drops.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Indeed.
A Tennessee lineman was killed while working in Texas repairing Harvey damage.

VICTORIA, TX -- A Franklin County man died in Texas Tuesday while working as a lineman assisting with recovery from the devastation of Hurricane Harvey.

Lachlan Brain, a 2013 graduate of Franklin County High School, was in a bucket lift, working a line in Crescent Valley southwest of Houston. He apparently came in contact with a live wire while still in contact with the wire he was working, according to the Victoria County Sheriff's Office.

https://patch.com/tennessee/ac...aking-harvey-repairs

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
These massive restoration efforts are tough. You work long hours in unfamiliar areas. What usually happens is guys will get tired and complacent, take a break from wearing their rubber gloves for a minute, and that's when they get bit. But the sense of satisfaction from helping people out is very rewarding.
Thanks Chongo, and thank you for everything you do.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
The linemen in this area are great. I can't give them enough credit. We lost power at 1:30 am last night and it was back on by 3:30 am. I don't think we've ever been w/o power for more than 4-5 hours and we live 8-9 miles outside of town on a country road. One cold Christmas eve during a severe wind and rain storm we lost power in the middle of the night and I told my wife not to expect power for Christmas day. When we woke up the next morning we had power. I was truly impressed.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3811 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
My father was a lineman for 43 years in NJ.
I remember as a kid growing up the phone ring all hours of the night for my father to come back to work for emergency calls.
He wold sometimes go to work for days or weeks at a time.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
At one time I worked as a construction cable splicer for the phone company. We were always happy to see the electric company linemen come through a head of us. Some of our stuff was heavy, but their stuff was down right scary.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amen. Our power came back on in the wee hours. Grateful for their work - and for all the folks doing the work that never stops.

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We have been watching convoy after convoy of linemen and their trucks on I-10 heading east for the past several days. Just a few weeks ago we saw the same sight going west toward Houston. Those guys get my highest respect and gratitude for the work they do.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
At one time I worked as a construction cable splicer for the phone company. We were always happy to see the electric company linemen come through a head of us. Some of our stuff was heavy, but their stuff was down right scary.

Lineman for Verizon from 1996-2005. Still carry the title but mostly splice fiber and locate nowadays. Great working relationship with the electric lineman over the years in the DC area. Shared many a hot coffee on the hood of a reel carrier on a cold morning. Heard years ago that electrical lineman looked down on telco lineman, but never saw that at all. I've walked the wood as high as 40-50 ft but the electric guys have gone a bit higher. Bucket trucks are our friends. Wink
Verizon is sending down a small fleet to help out in both Texas & Florida. I was asked. Declined. Pole climbing at 60 would be a bit harder then at 50.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I've not run across much 'looking down' on the telecom guys unless you count when they're 15-20 feet above me. In that case, I'd usually be getting out of their way. Wink

Generally they were good guys and they travel in packs. Considering they train for emergencies, it's nice to have folks like that around when things are more than a bit dicey.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post