SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    first thing you remember saving money to buy
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

first thing you remember saving money to buy Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Slight thread drift, if I may.

My Mother bought and gave me my very first gun that was mine, all mine, no borrowing brother's anymore.

Mom owned a small business and it turned out she decided to buy me the gun for my 16th birthday. She told me she funded it by saving all the 50 cent pieces that she received through her cash register.

It was a Marlin Glenfield Model 60 22cal rifle with a scope. I think it was about $70 or so. She purchased it from Otasco, (Oklahoma Tire and Supply), if you are regional to Oklahoma and the surrounding area back in the day it was a great store chain, but now long gone.

That was really my first observation about saving up to buy something.

I still have it, thanks Mom. I will never forget.

I got a .22 Marlin (the one with the squirrels etched in the grip) when I turned 15. I thought I might be a god....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Car insurance and gas for my first car.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
For me it was a slot car, 1/24
" Black Widow" had two engines and a picture of a black widow on the box.
Never happened though, instead I got a pocket knife and firecrackers.

Me also. We had a family business but I didn't get paid so I had to cut grass/rake leaves to save and buy a Cox 1/24 scale La Cucaracha.
At the time it was one of the fastest and lowest-center-of-gravity cars.

I saved for quite a while and ended up with a Super La Cucaracha which was around $24.00 from Ron Cor Hobby House in Jacksonville NC. (A princely sum in the late 60's). It was very fast.
Somehow it survived my younger brother. The box didn't make it, but the car was complete with driver and worked perfectly.
Later in life my mom was very sick and to generate some funds to help I put it on ebay.
It went for over $300.00.
Evidently a fairly small number of the Super La Cucaracha were sold and very few survived...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I was in fourth or fifth grade and really wanted a pair of Reebok David Robinson Pump high tops. I thought they looked so cool and it felt like all the other kids had cool shoes (we had school uniforms, so shoes were the one thing we could control). My Dad agreed to chip in $40 (or what he said a pair of shoes should cost) and I had to come up with the rest. It took a while and I don't even really remember how I came up with the $70 or $80 i needed. I finally got them and the only thing I remember is how let down I was. They were just a pair of shoes. They didn't make be a better basketball player, or more popular, or my life any better in any way. I learned that I had wasted a bunch of my time and effort chasing something I didn't really want. It was a good lesson. I now have a really hard time pulling the trigger on a significant purchase and usually will overthink it too much. I have purchased very few things that I felt I really wasted my money on.

Posts: 728 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Not exactly a direct "save" for something, but as a teenager I used $300 in savings bonds (bought with stamps in grade school) to purchase an upright piano for my use.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
A new Honda 305 Scrambler when I was seventeen. Saved money in a coffee can in my dresser drawer. Paid cash.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Daisy BB gun. Late 1960s.

Posts: 3250 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Transistor radio to take out to fields while picking string beans @.25 a bushel at about 9 years old.

Moved on to tomatoes, peppers, squash...finally pumpkins don’t remember what I got for picking these but I do remember the string beans as it was my first paying job.

Bought many a model airplane, model cars, BBs, glue, paint, fishing lures, firecrackers, etc., etc., with that pocket money.

Posts: 542 | Registered: April 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
My first pair of REAL hockey skates, Bauer Musketeers. Second thing I saved for was a Marlin Model 88 in .308. I was 15.....

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Cowboy revolver.
Used to watch plenty of cowboys shows back in the day. TV was b&w.
Gunsmoke, lone ranger, have gun will travel, bonanza, the one with steve mcqueen, johnny yuma, you name it.

Inflation was an still is a bitch down here. Almost impossible to nail a price or catch up with it.
When the parents found out i was doing an ant trail bringing my cash to the toy story the dream crashed and burned.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12105 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Stevens 20 gauge single shot shotgun. Bought it at Monkey Wards.

The next was likely my '70 Cutlass. Rode my bike to work washing dishes at a local restaurant all summer to save up the $300.

Then, my brother and I bought a '68 Mustang convertible...for $300. Man...if I could go back to those days and buy up all of those cars for $300 I could retire. Frown

Posts: 20064 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Atari game cartridges

Posts: 1092 | Location: Michigan | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A bolt action .410 shotgun.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
probably 'stereo' equipment of some kind

circa late 70s

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in 1993 or so I bought a late 1960s Ruger 10/22 on consignment from a pawn shop. Paid them $10-$20 per week until it was mine (I think the total price was about $110). Here we are 25+ years later and I took my 11 year old daughter to shoot it last weekend.

Posts: 993 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
My first pair of water skis. Ordered them from Bass Pro Shops. Still have them and they are in great condition. Lots of memories on those boards....

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37949 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
First 10-speed bike - a silver Schwinn Continental.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Back in the mid-60's, Aurora HO scale race cars and Estes model rockets.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16508 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
A BB gun.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jezsuiz:
A BB gun.

Except I sold a lot of Christmas cards, and that was my payment. A Daisy, with a scope/peep site.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10907 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post