SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    first thing you remember saving money to buy
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

first thing you remember saving money to buy Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Moved to Cape Cod and all the kids had mini bikes. I had to have one. Dad said if I could raise half the money for a mini bike he'd cover the other half. I was 10 (1970), had no money. Few months later after working 2 paper routes I had the $150. My parents were shocked, they really didn't want me to have a mini bike and I'm sure they figured there was no way I could save up that kind of money. Went and bought a Honda Z-50A mini bike. Ended up paying off the other $150 as well and then moved up to an XR-75 about a year later, again with my paper route money.

Posts: 1121 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
A baseball glove, Reggie Jackson model Rawlings

Posts: 1839 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
A Bear Polar II compound bow. Detassled corn that summer, saved enough for the bow, a quiver, sights, and a dozen matched arrows.

Fueled a 45 year addiction to archery.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
A new rack and pinion for a 1988 Chrysler New yorker. Used a hansens manuel and installed it myself.

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
For me it was a slot car, 1/24
" Black Widow" had two engines and a picture of a black widow on the box.
Never happened though, instead I got a pocket knife and firecrackers.

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
GI Joe action figure
Hulk action figure
Fred Bear mini magnum bow
Sony Walkman

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:

1956. Was it this one: TR-63

Or this one?
Regency TR-1
[/QUOTE]

The top one for sure. Where did you find those pics? That's great.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Box tops and $1 for an AR-7 Survival Rifle, just like issued to the USAF pilots!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=801p2AS3Mh8

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jman78
posted Hide Post
A large version of the Swiss Army knife.

I worked baseball card shows with my dad on weekends. I would see this large an awesome Swiss Army knife at a travel/luggage store in Hollywood mall and drool...

I finally worked enough shows to save up the cash. $50 at the time (1987) was quite a bit of money, especially for an 9 year old.

A few days later while playing at a friends house, I managed to slice my thumb pretty good with it!

Still have the scar.

Posts: 178 | Location: St. Petersburg FLorida | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
First car, starting with a paper route at age 10 in Florida.

Found out when I was 17 and asked what account my folks had transferred the $1,200 or so to when we moved to AL that they had apparently dumped it in with so much other on their failing auto parts store venture. How about that for a kick in the nuts?

My mom did make me whole on that, and I understood, but that was unexpected! Luckily I had saved up more since then, but wowza.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My best recollection other than $.25-$1.00 toys is a used mini bike for $15.00. It was a used Sears mini bike around 1963-65 and for a young kid in the country it sure shortened up the distance to friends houses.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Crossman 760 pellet rifle with 4x scope.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
This BAMF Transformer when I was 9ish:

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
It was 1955 and I saved my tips from the grocery store I worked .
Then I rode my bike to Savannah Ga to a pawn shop and bought a brand new Remington model 550
auto loader 22 rifle.
Then back home to Pooler Ga with it proudly across the handle bars.
That was not a good site for my mother.

My mom's dad bought my dad a 550 in the 1950s. I shot it a lot and it was no problem for a 12 year old to keep it in his room. I was finalizing a deal on one at gun show when my cell phone rings, my dad says he still has it and he'd give it to me next time he saw me. It shoots little bitty groups.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
10 or 11 years old, around 1964, I saved $50 to buy a Hitachi KH-1005 like this one from the iconic Burstein-Applebee Electronics in KCMO. Besides the telescoping FM antenna, it had a plug in wire AM antenna. I could pull in stations as far a way as Del Rio, TX at night. Took 4 C batteries and had the handy light button for nighttime tuning. Big Grin

Possibly more iconic electronics store in Kansas City at the time was McGee Radio. Their catalogs were amazing and so were the prices.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A cowboy revolver from the Western Auto catalogue! It came in the mail, but Granma got the mail. And the gun. And a switch.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Slight thread drift, if I may.

My Mother bought and gave me my very first gun that was mine, all mine, no borrowing brother's anymore.

Mom owned a small business and it turned out she decided to buy me the gun for my 16th birthday. She told me she funded it by saving all the 50 cent pieces that she received through her cash register.

It was a Marlin Glenfield Model 60 22cal rifle with a scope. I think it was about $70 or so. She purchased it from Otasco, (Oklahoma Tire and Supply), if you are regional to Oklahoma and the surrounding area back in the day it was a great store chain, but now long gone.

That was really my first observation about saving up to buy something.

I still have it, thanks Mom. I will never forget.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was an OTASCO store just 2 stores down from our family store. I loved that place, and the people that ran it.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
Metroid on NES.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Metal or plastic body model cars, boats, whatever I could get my hands on to build...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post