SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    first thing you remember saving money to buy
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

first thing you remember saving money to buy Login/Join 
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A mini Bike. Awesome times!

Posts: 3875 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
It was either my Red Rider BB gun ($13), or a Hardy Boys Detective Kit ($6)

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two things I bought with earnings from a summer job in 1974:
A Panasonic stereo which was a receiver, turntable and two 2-way speakers, and
A Smith & Wesson Model 28-2 with a 4" barrel.
No idea what happened to the stereo, but I still have the Model 28-2.

Posts: 122 | Location: Hernando, MS | Registered: September 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
A pocket radio, AM only. Six bucks IIRC.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the first thing that I really had to save for - an entire year of shoveling driveways and mowing lawns was to buy a 10 speed bicycle from Canadian Tire in Truro Nova Scotia

It was 1969, the cost was $125 and the frame was lime green in color

I was 11

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Being that I'm considerably, ahem, younger than most of you guys here, my memory is of a Sony Walkman from Service Merchandise. It had auto reverse!!!

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
My dad used a 99 cent bag of little green army men as a life's lesson. I was about 4 years old and got 25 cents a week allowance. I saved 4 weeks and we bought the army men. Got some praise and kind words/attention from my dad. Lesson of pay cash must have took because I've avoided debt all my life.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
Flowers for my mother and grandmother on mother's day.

And, I ordered them on credit, my first account, with family florist for my grandmother who lived 500 miles away. Mailed the cash.

Lawn mowing money. I was about 10. I had to use the pay phone to call it in.

Never missed a year afterwards.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
12 gauge semi automatic shotgun Winchester super x model one. rode my bike to the hardware store every Saturday to make payments. 389 dollars when I was 14 years old. 45 years ago. took me six months of doing odd jobs. and I still have it.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
While in my early teens, I worked a long time saving up for a Mercury Snowmobile.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I don’t recall saving money for a purchase.

What I do clearly remember is saving S&H Green Stamps for getting all sorts of different things.

I remember saving Green Stamps and Plaid Stamps as well.

I've long since forgotten what I first saved money to buy.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
My needs we pretty minor back in the day. I was in a band in high school playing lead guitar. The only thing we saved for was buying beer (black label, Pabst, Mickeys malt likker, wine (Boone’s farm), or cheap whiskey (Kessler and Old Rocking chair). Life was simple and good back then. Get a buzz, turn the amps up to 11, and rock on. Sometimes go get more (older brothers buying for us) drinks and going for a ride out on the back roads. Well, I still play music in the bars, and drink a few, but I don’t need to save for it any more. I still hear “ hey man, play some Hendrix/Skinnard/Seeger. Oh yeah! Turn up the amp! Life is good.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
My first 10-speed bicycle: Schwinn Varsity. It was $107.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2828 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
A pair of carbon steel needle nose pliers. I bought them for about $2 at place called Chem City in Johnson City TN in 1957 or 1958. I still have them.

I saved up my lunch money in junior high. You could buy a slice of bread for 1ȼ and mayonnaise was free. For 2ȼ you could have a sustaining sammich.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Dukes of hazard digital watch that played Dixie.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
A better bicycle.

Mine as well. I bought a Mongoose and then slowly replaced parts with better parts. It wound up a Supergoose with Tuff Wheel IIs, Mongoose bars, Redline pillow block gooseneck, DiaComp MX900 brakes, Kashimax seat, Takagi 1 piece chrome moly crank and some rattrap pedals. I really wanted Redline Flight cranks and Shimano DX pedals, but I has lost interest in BMX bicycles before I got them. I gave the bike to my oldest son when he turned 8.

Posts: 10827 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
It was a handshake buzzer thing from the back of a Superman comic book in the early 60's.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
A rear slick tire, with red stripe, for my Schwinn Stingray. Looked cool and we thought they were great when popping wheelies. My dad didn't see anything wrong with the one that came with the bike.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
10 or 11 years old, around 1964, I saved $50 to buy a Hitachi KH-1005 like this one from the iconic Burstein-Applebee Electronics in KCMO. Besides the telescoping FM antenna, it had a plug in wire AM antenna. I could pull in stations as far a way as Del Rio, TX at night. Took 4 C batteries and had the handy light button for nighttime tuning. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blackmore,

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post