SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    first thing you remember saving money to buy
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

first thing you remember saving money to buy Login/Join 
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
It was a small transistor radio. Operated off a 9 volt battery if I remember correctly and came in a brown case. I think it was 10 or 11 dollars. That was a lot of money back in 1956.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did save for my first car. my dad never give off what anyone doesn't work for. you always work for everything you want. no free stuff.

Posts: 109 | Location: Fort Wayne, IN. | Registered: February 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Dukes of hazard digital watch that played Dixie.

Wow. If I had known it existed, I would have definitely wanted one

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I used to save money for baseball cards. Which reminds me I have a trunk full of baseball cards in the basement doing nothing....

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A car. Early 80's and I saved enough to put a down payment on an Oldsmobile.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Skateboard deck. Manufacturer was Alva. Board was the Freddie Smith Punk Size (short deck). It had a steep tail, and wicked concave. I never had a board I skated so well.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
A better fishing rod and reel...the good ol' days.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I had a paper route when I was 8 or 9 years old that paid 50 cents a week. Two miles out & two miles back the other side of the road. My Dad said that I had to save it all for at least one year before I could spend any of it.

At the end of the year I went into the local hardware store. I had a choice of a bike, which would make my paper route considerably easier, or a .22. I came home with a nice Mossberg bolt action .22, and Dad ended up buying me the bike a couple months later.Smile

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
It was 1955 and I saved my tips from the grocery store I worked .
Then I rode my bike to Savannah Ga to a pawn shop and bought a brand new Remington model 550
auto loader 22 rifle.
Then back home to Pooler Ga with it proudly across the handle bars.
That was not a good site for my mother.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was saving up $20 to buy a commemorative NASA coin I saw on a TV ad. I almost had all the money but decided to go to the local corner store and by $18 worth of candy.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
My own stereo.

Nikko 5055 receiver, 18 watts per channel

Sanyo turntable

Ohm E speakers

I had to buy it in pieces, receiver first and I listened through headphones, then the turntable and finally the speakers. Hard to remember, but I think I had it all in about six months.

I always loved the smell of walking into a stereo shop!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post

Saw a Kenner Star Wars Tie Fighter in the 1978 Sears Christmas catalog and did extra chores to order it. I wanted the Star Bird too, but couldn't afford both at the time. However, for Christmas I received the Star Bird, so I was a very happy camper.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Anyone remember S&H Green stamps?

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Savage .22LR over .410 shotgun. I was like eight years old and wanted my "very own gun", my dad let me use the Winchester 1897 12ga., but that was "his". I wanted my own.

Lots of grass cutting, lots of can and bottle collecting, but I made it. I remember that Saturday we went to buy it. That a box of .22LR and .410 shells. Man, I was so proud of my new awesome squirrel slayer!

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post

Saved my allowance for nearly a year, and my birthday money put me just over the top. I remember that my cool Aunt took me to Woolworths to buy it, and gave me enough change to allow me to get this too:

Best day ever, in 1965. I was 7 years old...

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Anyone remember S&H Green stamps?
Oh yeah...I can't even to BEGIN to describe the HOURS my brother and I spent pasting those dang things in the books just so mom could get some some bakeware or something. But you know...those are fond memories as a kid of family time together! Something SORELY missing in today's societal construct...

As for saving up for something, that's a tough one. I honestly don't remember and I can't remember paying outright cash for a "large" item...always financed at some level. I started working at McD's when I was 16 and had cash to spend. I guess I'd have to say I maybe saved up to by motorcycle parts...my brother and I dabbled in motocross when I was in my mid/late teens. But I remember getting small loans many times (for as little as say $500) to buy something over time. But that was probably when I was 18 or older, since I don't think the bank would sign a single signature loan to a minor...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
The little green plastic M48 Patton tanks (about 6 inches long). I wanted a bunch of them, brigade strength at least, so I could stage battles in the back yard.

I wound up with three.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
It was a small transistor radio. Operated off a 9 volt battery if I remember correctly and came in a brown case. I think it was 10 or 11 dollars. That was a lot of money back in 1956.

1956. Was it this one: TR-63

Or this one?
Regency TR-1

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I too saved for a pellet gun.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Horse back riding lessons - I was probably somewhere between 8-11 y.o.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post