SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    first thing you remember saving money to buy
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

first thing you remember saving money to buy Login/Join 
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted
Para's picture of the dick tracy wrist radio sparked a memory.

My first save-to-buy item was from an ad in a comic book. Some type of pedometer/compass thing. I thought it would be great and marvelous to know how far I had walked and run while playing in the summer...
Of course, since the ad was right beside the x-ray glasses - it didn't really work too well when I finally got it in the mail.

Lesson learned at a young age. Virgin shopper no longer :-)

Did you have something special that prompted you to start saving your earnings or allowance ?

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A better bicycle.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
An Electrophonic am/fm, 8-track tape recorder. Had a phono input for my BIC turntable and two aux inputs.

I played the snot out of that!!!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
No money involved, but I remember begging my mother to buy more Fruit Loops so I could get enough boxtops to send off for a free "Han Solo as a Stormtrooper" action figure.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I had forgotten about cereal boxtops. I saved those for stuff, but can't remember what.

There was also some cereal that had actual prizes or toys inside.

I remember opening boxes from the bottom to get the prize before anyone else

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
An RC Car. I remember having to save over $100 for it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
First thing I remember saving money to buy was the ELO .45 “Don’t Bring Me Down” in 1979. I was only 7. Still have it somewhere. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
A blue bicycle with one of those banana seats. I had outgrown my small bike and wanted a big boy bike. That $10 seemed like a fortune back in 197...8 probably.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A used Whizzer motor bike. It cost $25, and that was a lot of money in those days!!

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
My brother and I pooled our money after saving for most of a year to get an original Nintendo. My mother wasn’t going to stop us from buying one, but refused to be a party to bringing video games into the home. Ironically, one of the first games we got was Tetris and she became hooked.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
A Benjamin Franklin “bolt action-hammer fire-hair trigger” pneumatic air rifle that shoots .22 caliber lead air rifle shot loaded in its 85 shot tubular piggy back magazine. I mowed lawns all summer to get the $39.95 it cost back in the late 1960s.

I still have it and it still works.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
A wrist rocket from the LL Bean catalog. I worked on a dairy farm down the road for .50 a day, plus all the fresh milk we needed at home and Days Work and Red Man I could chew. I was eight

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A gas powered lawn mower. Used a reel mower up to that point mowing lawns.

Posts: 39 | Location: SOKY | Registered: March 09, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Schwinn BMX style bike. I think it was a Preditor.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
A 0.1 caret diamond pendant for a HS GF. The sales guy was very very clear, "Forget the girl, buy yourself a nice watch". This is when a new Rolex Air King might have cost $300-$400.

I'd still have that 34mm watch, stretched band and all. While the GF? She married a doctor. Divorced, popped for possession, and again for DUI ...

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
M88 Winchester 308 by mowing lawns and then borrowed some from my brother to make the purchase.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Car parts for a 1970 Chevelle I rebuilt out of boxes.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
A billfold wallet. After I got it, I had nothing to put in it.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first deer rifle in 1969. It was a Winchester 88 in 308 cal. I still have it and will be in the woods with it in about a month.

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
RTG Parts
posted Hide Post
While a working teenager I saved so I could flee California when I became an adult. Best decision I ever made.

NRA LIFE MEMBER - NSSF MEMBER

www.RobertRTG.com for the best prices on HK, AK, MG42, Uzi parts and more.

Posts: 459 | Location: Sheridan, Wyoming | Registered: March 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post