SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Outdoor Security Camera
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outdoor Security Camera Login/Join 
Picture of Hoosier_at_Heart
posted
Haven't been on the forum in a long while - miss the wisdom of the group. So, today I turn, again, to the wisdom of the best forum on the net. My neighborhood is having an issue with car break-ins and such and I live in a nice sub-division. I'd like to buy an outdoor security camera,but haven't any idea what's good and what's a waste of money. Any forum goers have experience with and can recommend a good wireless/easy to install cam that records?

People are sick of the little shits and want to do more to catch them or at a minimum identify them.

Thanks for any feedback. Need to capture driveway activity mostly.

Posts: 1030 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
My grandmother has been using the Arlo Pro camera system from Netgear for about half a year.
Great camera system for ease of use and picture quality.
Only slight issue during recharging the batteries, but that was quickly resolved by google (just had to remove and replace the battery before charging)

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The best prevention is cleaning out your garage so you can park your vehicle in there. I was always shocked when living in Alaska and Canada that people would have crap in their garage they haven't used in years and would spend 6 to 9 months a year cleaning snow/ice off their vehicles parked in the driveway.

As far as cameras, check out bigredfish's post in this thread and his camera's nice day and night quality.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
a good wireless/easy to install cam that records?

They are all crap but something is better than nothing.
Look to a wired system.
There are a plethora of factors that make up security systems and have already been discussed a ton of times here so I would look up some of those first.
Just know optics is all about light.

Posts: 22900 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
The best prevention is cleaning out your garage so you can park your vehicle in there. I was always shocked when living in Alaska and Canada that people would have crap in their garage they haven't used in years and would spend 6 to 9 months a year cleaning snow/ice off their vehicles parked in the driveway.

As far as cameras, check out bigredfish's post in this thread and his camera's nice day and night quality.

This isn't a prevention question. I agree with you on the garage though and can park my car and yours in my garage. So, sticking to the question at hand is always appreciated (and I did try the "search" option and also read about systems - which gets confusing).

Solely an experience question. And appreciate the links where this has been discussed on the forum as those didn't pull up when I searched.

Posts: 1030 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Going to look into the Arlo Pro and another I found embedded in the other forum links suggested. Moderator(s) can shut this down now if they wish or leave open for other experienced responses. I think my question has been answered. Appreciate it SF goers!

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I have a Ring and Arlos, both of which work well for what they are.

While they are good enough for my needs, they are nowhere near as good as a wired system in picture/video quality, particularly in night vision.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Axis stuff, but its usually way beyond what everyday projects like this need in terms of price and ultimately performance. But it is very,very good stuff.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JakiHere
posted Hide Post
Go with either Arlo or Canary. Both are wifi cams and have similar feature. Both have cloud subscription fee but arlo pro has got a local storage option.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JakiHere,

Posts: 20 | Registered: August 14, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You may want to use one of the wireless motion detectors to let you know when someone is in you driveway.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003...gid=pla-306533447218

That is how I caught the two neighborhood kids breaking into the cars. The police never did anything but the word got around the neighborhood and it stopped.

You could also mount a Bushnell game camera like the model 119877C no glow lights.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post