SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    BATFE reversal of reversal of Open Letter on Shouldering SIG-style Brace
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BATFE reversal of reversal of Open Letter on Shouldering SIG-style Brace Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
What's this brace thing?

Never mind. I found it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hamden106,

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Again this is all so stupid. Make SBR/SBS/Suppressors legal. They are not in any way more or less dangerous then any other firearm. One could argue that full auto, without training, especially with tiny full autos such as mini uzis do add a level of additional danger to an untrained shooter and or bystanders no matter how thin the argument. The same cannot be said for SBS/SBR/Supressors.

Make them all legal and just make there use in a crime extra onerous.

This exactly. Big deal; ATF throws us a dog biscuit (not even a bone) permitting a stabilizing brace.

Let's get suppressors, SBRs and SBSs taken off the Title II list and turned into 4473 items - not that I believe the 4473 is constitutional either.

(Posted elsewhere).

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
From the letter, it almost sounds as if they're saying you can use an arm brace any way you want as long as you don't physically modify it in a way that (1) it is less effective as an arm brace or (2) it is more effective as a shoulder stock.

Of course that takes us right back around the merry-go-round - the letter only says its OK if the use is "incidental, sporadic or situational". Ugh. I'm going to bed.

About the only way to make the brace "less effective" is to remove the strap ... that would also be modifying it.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I am glad to see this clarification. I see it as one positive step in what I hope are many along this path.

Attaboy BATFE!

HK Ag

Posts: 3500 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sammael
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
From the letter, it almost sounds as if they're saying you can use an arm brace any way you want as long as you don't physically modify it in a way that (1) it is less effective as an arm brace or (2) it is more effective as a shoulder stock.

Of course that takes us right back around the merry-go-round - the letter only says its OK if the use is "incidental, sporadic or situational". Ugh. I'm going to bed.

"Modify" braces how exactly?

If I put a zip tie on the buffer tube to keep it from sliding around, is the brace now 'modified'? If you put E6000 on the tube to stop side to side movement, is ithe brace itself now somehow 'modified'?

Just seems like they are keeping the option open to have their 'opinion' influence any potential rulings on the matter in the future.

Just more word games so they can apply their 'opinion' as they see fit in regard to future cases.

Posts: 571 | Registered: August 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the election has had some positive consequences for US! It's about damn time!

Thank you for posting Sig2340!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Whatever the cause, the ATF has made such a mess of this, that in the extraordinarily unlikely case that they ever tried to go after someone for shouldering a braced pistol, the US Attorney would get laughed out of court.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of domcintosh
posted Hide Post
No. This is a BS smoke screen from an organization that knows it will be under fire, metaphorically, during this administration. The less they appear anti gun, the more they are likely to continue.

Since the NRA has moved into spending money on litigation in California, the map has changed.

At it's base, why are we allowing bureaucrats to rule us by subjective regulations and letters of fiat?

The opinions expressed in no way reflect the stance or opinion of my employer.

Posts: 5446 | Location: Stationed in Kitsap Washington w/ the USN | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Because congress authorized it to do so. Either that authorization has to be revoked, or the courts have to overrule it.

quote:
Originally posted by domcintosh:
At it's base, why are we allowing bureaucrats to rule us by subjective regulations and letters of fiat?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind the president's executive order that any new regulations include the repeal of two existing regulations. While I think this is overall a good thing, and common sense, and long overdue, beware the possibility that this is "making room" for some other regulation, which of course may or may not have anything to do with the firearms end of the BATFE. I am cautiously optimistic, but this is definitely "trust, but verify" type territory.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
The thing that always gets me is all of the folks claiming that their braces aren't being used as stocks, yet in all of the pictures and videos they've removed the velcro straps that would allow you to use the brace as a brace. If you wanted to have some semblance of credability, leave the thing in a configuration in which you could feasibly use it as a brace.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:

Posts: 775 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
^ Hilarious, and correct.

Guess I'll be looking a little more seriously at the tail hook. No straps.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Am I supposed to be grateful?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
"Small resolution" resolution. Warm and fuzzy ain't happenin' here, folks...

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not that I liked the previous ruling, but was anyone ever prosecuted for shouldering one?

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Am I supposed to be grateful?

Agreed.

I care less, and less about these "opinions" which change every other year.

The BATF is making themselves into an entity akin to homeowners associations. They only have power if you let them, and they lose enforcement power as more and more people ignore them.

I think it's a dangerous time. No one wants to be the case they use to gain case-law on their "opinions". I'd prefer to avoid their gaze altogether. I witness rampant ATF violations quite regularly. That doesn't mean I want to participate or be the one, that gets caught. I also have a hard time condemning those who do take that chance. The BATF needs a drastic downsizing in their area of responsibility and scope of power. I believe our states to be more than capable of regulating themselves in alcohol, tobacco, and firearms. People are then free to vote with their feet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Alright guys this ATF letter is only for the SB tactical braces which include the SIG braces since SBT makes those. All other braces are not included at this time. Do not call or send anymore letters to ATF for clarification on other braces or you will piss them off and we will be back to where we were before. Let the manufacturers send the letters for their product. If you have the SB Tactical/Sig Brace use it as is with no alterations. And if you happen to shoulder it.....well no big deal.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KAK braces never came with straps and the BATF approved them. I have kept mine stock so I am in compliance.

http://shockwavetechnologies.c...oads/2015/04/a_a.jpg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wcb6092,

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post