SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I love the Russkies: Make soccer "hooliganism" a spectator sport!

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
I love the Russkies: Make soccer "hooliganism" a spectator sport! Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
quote:
Foxnews.com

MOSCOW – A Russian lawmaker has proposed an unorthodox solution to the country's problems with soccer hooliganism ahead of next year's World Cup -- legalize it and make it a spectator sport.

Organized groups of Russian fans, many with martial arts training, fought English fans on the streets of Marseille during last year's European Championship.

That inspired Igor Lebedev, who sits in the Russian parliament, to draw up rules for what he calls "draka," the Russian word for "fight" -- 20 fighters on each side, unarmed, in an arena.

In a statement on the website of the nationalist LDPR party, Lebedev said organized brawls "could turn fans' aggression in a peaceful direction." He also claimed it would serve as an "example" for English fans, who he characterized as undisciplined louts and poor fighters.

"Russia would be a pioneer in a new sport," said Lebedev, who also suggested fights between different fan groups could draw crowds of thousands. "English fans arrive, for example, and start picking fights. And they get the answer -- challenge accepted. A meeting in a stadium at a set time."

Some fan groups in Russia already hold illicit fights along similar lines, typically pre-arranged mass brawls in rural locations, away from police. A Russian Premier League game on Saturday between CSKA Moscow and Zenit St. Petersburg was marred by clashes between small groups of rival fans who fought one another and tried to break through a security fence.
It isn't the first time Lebedev has courted controversy with his views on hooligans. He hailed the violence in Marseille last year, telling Russian fans: "Well done lads, keep it up!"

Besides his parliamentary duties as deputy speaker, Lebedev is also on the board of the Russian Football Union. He's a longtime associate of fan leader Alexander Shprygin, who was deported from France last year following the Marseille violence. Two board members of an organization run by Shprygin were given prison sentences.

Despite his enthusiasm for soccer-related violence, Lebedev insisted Russian policing meant foreign fans wouldn't be in danger at the World Cup. "We've taken all the safety measures, modernized legislation. Not a single tourist has any reason to fear traveling to our country in the summer of 20

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Foxnews.com

Some fan groups in Russia already hold illicit fights along similar lines, typically pre-arranged mass brawls in rural locations, away from police.

Hmmmmmm. I see promise in this, needs a sponsor:

They also need to film these, would be much better than watching those crazy Russian dash cam videos. (Of course some idiot would be chanting "World Star" in the background).

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Bar room brawling would make a great TV sport!

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Report This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
A WWE cage match on vodka. That'd make for awesome television!

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Report This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Another great soccer story.

Posts: 3458 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Report This Post
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted Hide Post
But,, but... isn't Soccer gay?

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
So soccer is the Craigs List of sports?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
The fact that Russia and Qatar have the 2018 & 2022 World Cups is just an example of FIFA's corruption and greed under Sepp Blatter. They should have changed the host country when Russia invaded Ukraine. Plus, WTF wants world class athletes playing outdoors in the Mideast in the middle of summer?

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Report This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Plus, WTF wants world class athletes playing outdoors in the Mideast in the middle of summer?

I'm betting the Qatari are going with huge indoor stadiums.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
If I had to watch two teams play for 90 minutes and then have it end in a tie I would riot too.
Let the players carry knives or something. Make it worth while....... Roll Eyes

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I'd watch that. Maybe have a Mystery Box in the middle with some sort of weapon inside that both teams have to rush towards.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Plus, WTF wants world class athletes playing outdoors in the Mideast in the middle of summer?

I'm betting the Qatari are going with huge indoor stadiums.

It's going to be a winter World Cup in Qatar in 2022. They will play November 21 through December 18.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasbag:
If I had to watch two teams play for 90 minutes and then have it end in a tie I would riot too.
Let the players carry knives or something. Make it worth while....... Roll Eyes

In Feb. 2016, a referee was shot dead in Argentina, on the field, by the player he had just red-carded / ejected from the game.

Posts: 3466 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Report This Post