SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quicken for Mac Alternatives?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quicken for Mac Alternatives? Login/Join 
Picture of bobandmikako
posted
I've been using various Quicken for Mac versions for a while now. Lately, I've been having continuous problems with my accounts not downloading correctly. I'm talking way, way off. I've upgraded to all of their new versions and am getting tired of it. Can anyone recommend alternative financial software for a Mac? I don't care if it's free or not. I don't do anything that complicated. Anything that can downloading banking and credit card info would work. Quicken has not been able to assist with a solution yet. Thanks.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Moneydance. I have run this for many years and am very happy with both the product and vendor support.

Please feel free to email my address in my profile with questions.

Posts: 6470 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been Mac based for 25 years, but Quicken for Mac is horrible in comparison to the PC model. Because of that, I had used VMWare to create a Win7 VM machine and installed PC Quicken. Worked fine for, oh, 10 years but is decidedly sluggish. Lately because of work needs I had to acquire a hearty PC and I re-installed the PC version on it. Works well.

I looked into substitutes and I was NOT happy about any of them even though dislike the subscription model that Quicken has now entered. I found no real alternatives to the full package that Quicken delivers without MUCH greater pain.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I've been a Quicken for Mac user since Sequoia trees were saplings. I agree, it's a horrendous program at times (at times; I can never figure out why they break it when it works!). I tried (purchased) Banktivity, but it's even less intuitive than Quicken, and requires an annual subscription to download data!

I've also purchased Checkbook Pro but the interface drives me nut.

There are also a number of freeware offerings, but they are mostly java-based and not really Mac-like.

Sadly, I keep coming back to Quicken. Because the big dog in a world of dogs is better than nothing.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I bought a new MacBook Pro last fall. As a forever Windows user, I put Parallels on the laptop as all of my programs are Windows based and I plan to slowly migrate to the Mac OS.

I bought the latest version of Quicken - which contains both the Mac and PC versions - and loaded the Mac version on. I was not impressed at the Mac version at all and within a day loaded the Windows version. I have had little or no problem with the new Quicken and I backup after every use. The IOS App is not yet ready for prime time as it gets flaky from time to time.

For my use, Quicken is an important program in my financial accounting. I download and categorize transactions daily and do some basic reporting. I like to know where I'm at.

I also sought an alternative before I upgraded last fall. Now I'm happy with Quicken and suggest you try Parallels with the Windows version of Quicken.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:

Sadly, I keep coming back to Quicken. Because the big dog in a world of dogs is better than nothing.

Sorry for the thread drift but I couldn't figure out why Intuit would divest itself of Quicken being that, as you say, it is the big dog. I've been a Quicken user from the beginning.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Re mcrimm's suggestion for using Windows programs on a Mac, via Parallels, good idea, but let me offer another suggestion in the same vein. VMware Fusion. Very similar to Parallels in terms of function, however, last I looked, the user license agreement was different, and that was important to me.

When I looked, Parallels was a single user / single computer license. VMware Fusion was basically a family license, allowing multiple users on multiple computers for the single purchase price.

Another alternative is Virtual Box. It's free, but it does need a bit of tinkering, so I opted to buy and pay for Fusion, which is plug-and-play, no tinkering really required. Once I sell my business, retire, and have more time to mess with this stuff, I'll give Virtual Box another look.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30666 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I struggled with this for years as Quicken didn't, then did support the Mac platform, came up with Quicken Essentials, etc. I ended up with Banktivity, which has improved over the past few versions. I don't mind subscribing to download data as the download process is much easier than with Quicken.
Leaving Quicken is a big step, but Intuit just made it impossible to rely on Quicken for the Mac.
I do have Parallels and Windows 10 on my Mac, so I could be using Quicken for Windows, but mentally I've left Quicken behind.

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
We gave up on Quicken for Mac about two years ago and switched to Moneydance. It was a smooth transition with no issues.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Man, I love this forum. There are always people offering helpful advice. I'm going to look into Moneydance or consider VMware Fusion or Parallels with a Windows program. I wasn't aware of any of these options. Thanks!

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post