SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kitty with a torn acl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kitty with a torn acl Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So one of the kitties tore her acl. She is a bit on the heavy side not obese. She is a smaller lynx point. She jumped off of a high perch when she got spooked. (new pup in the house) And that was enough to do it. Hard to put weight on it. She can get around but not well. Off to the vet she went and yep, torn acl.
Vet say's it is a fairly uncommon injury to cats. Two options. Leave it and see how she progress' or have a surgery where they put some plastic supports in it. I did not go so that might not be what the procedure is, got it second hand.
About $600 for the surgery.

She is probably eight years old. Good health. Sweet kitty.
I told my wife seems like surgery would be best. She said the vet thought waiting 30 days to see if the joint stablizes is the way to go.

Looking to my SF friends for thoughts and advice. Especially is any of you have had a similar thing happen to your cats.

Always a risk when doing pet surgeries.

Thanks guys and gals.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19183 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
If the vet says wait, wait.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
If there's no harm in waiting, I'd wait.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Last October, my 16 year old cat tore her ACL and we went the painkiller and anti-inflammatory route instead of surgery. I made a few posts about it on page 336, 337, and 340 of the Cat Picture Thread.

As an update, she walks completely limp free, and uses the pet stairs about 80% of the time for the bed and couch.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Always a risk when doing pet surgeries.

If the vet says wait and he/she can give kitty something to manage the pain, then I would wait. Your cat is middle aged, so hopefully she can heal well. Anesthesia is hard on them.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'd wait. First the vet say she can wait.

And while I am not, and do not want to sound cruel, the current propensity of people to spend lots of money on pet surgery and heroic treatments for pets is somewhat mystifying to me. My brother and SIL spent several thousand dollars on dog surgery last year on a terminally ill dog that was already 12 year old. I was very confused by that.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
My brother and SIL spent several thousand dollars on dog surgery last year on a terminally ill dog that was already 12 year old. I was very confused by that.

quote:

“I went back to my conversation with Siegfried that morning; we had just about decided that the man with a lot of animals couldn't be expected to feel affection for individuals among them. But those buildings back there were full of John Skipton's animals - he must have hundreds. Yet what made him trail down that hillside every day in all weathers? Why had he filled the last years of those two old horses with peace and beauty? Why had he given them a final ease and comfort which he had withheld from himself? It could only be love.”

Posts: 2540 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheesegrits:
Anesthesia is hard on them.

It is?

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is. You're depressing a series of systems to the point where the animal is at a "surgical plane". I think the vets here will go into further detail.

I'd wait, and further, I'd limit her movements. Large 1 level (no jumping) open wire crate, litter box inside...
Best of luck

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by senza nome:
quote:
My brother and SIL spent several thousand dollars on dog surgery last year on a terminally ill dog that was already 12 year old. I was very confused by that.

quote:

“I went back to my conversation with Siegfried that morning; we had just about decided that the man with a lot of animals couldn't be expected to feel affection for individuals among them. But those buildings back there were full of John Skipton's animals - he must have hundreds. Yet what made him trail down that hillside every day in all weathers? Why had he filled the last years of those two old horses with peace and beauty? Why had he given them a final ease and comfort which he had withheld from himself? It could only be love.”

And I can't tell you how much I loved James Herriot's books as a child (this is exactly what I was thinking when I saw jhe888's post. Only condensed into the one word: love, but you put it more eloquently than me- or James did Wink)

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of giz55792
posted Hide Post
Our 3 year old Sheltie had the surgery about 3 months ago. We waited a couple of months per vets instructions to see if it improved, so they she scheduled the surgery.

Had to try and keep her as quiet as possible for the first 6 weeks following the surgery and the vet gave us some simple stretches to do with her during that time. Once they made sure everything was healing, the vet ramped up the PT.

She runs around and plays with our other dog like nothing ever happened. The down side that we saw with giving Kalie pain meds and anti inflammatories, is that she would feels better and over do it.

Posts: 711 | Location: Virginia, MN | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
Maybe you could get a little something from the vet to ease her pain while you're waiting? I think the thing that would bother me most is knowing that she is in pain.

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Professor Smack-Down
Picture of Protein anchor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd wait. First the vet say she can wait.

And while I am not, and do not want to sound cruel, the current propensity of people to spend lots of money on pet surgery and heroic treatments for pets is somewhat mystifying to me. My brother and SIL spent several thousand dollars on dog surgery last year on a terminally ill dog that was already 12 year old. I was very confused by that.

Agree. It's tough, but I don't view animals as I do my daughter. Ultimately, I can buy another dog and I bet they would be as happy as my LuCe is now.

----------------------------
Tony

Guns in my collection:

Awaiting next purchase

Posts: 4107 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
As tatortodd said (and as I said to him in his thread), some kittehs do well without surgery, some don't. Generally the fattys need to be cut. Time will tell, but if you don't see improvement within 4 weeks or so, time to start considering. In the meantime, if your vet didn't already get you some pain meds, ask about metacam. One dose every 3 days will do a good bit for pain control.

Anesthesia CAN be hard on them, but it really depends on the type anesthesia used and the vet you're working with. Some vets use straight injectable anesthesia, which acts as a premed, induction, and maintenance anesthetic all wrapped into one. If you talk to your vet and he/she does this type anesthesia? Find a new vet. They should be at least recommending pre-anesthetic lab tests, then give a premed injection, then an injectable (short term) induction agent, then use gas anesthesia via endotracheal tube to maintain anesthesia. At our place, we monitor ecg, pulse oximeter, tidal CO2, and blood pressure for all patients under anesthesia. So, there is a lot of variation, and anesthesia doesn't HAVE to be hard on them. So do your homework when (if) the time comes. Hope all goes well.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. So far no pain meds. She does not seem to be in much pain. She has her spot. It is close to food and a litter box so she does not have to venture far for the essentials. She is happy. I check on her. Pet and talk to her. She reacts to that pretty much as she always has. Just not very mobile. I am sure it hurts when moving as she really favors it. I will have to ask my wife. She works in the health care field. Neither seemed overly concerned about pain medication. I will further inquire though. Thanks Slabsides for your detailed post.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Thanks guys. So far no pain meds. She does not seem to be in much pain. She has her spot. It is close to food and a litter box so she does not have to venture far for the essentials. She is happy. I check on her. Pet and talk to her. She reacts to that pretty much as she always has. Just not very mobile. I am sure it hurts when moving as she really favors it. I will have to ask my wife. She works in the health care field. Neither seemed overly concerned about pain medication. I will further inquire though. Thanks Slabsides for your detailed post.

Good news. Give her an extra pat on the head and rub on the belly from me and my kitties Black and Gray. Maybe an extra treat too!

Hope she feels better soon!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
'Give her an extra pat on the head and rub on the belly from me and my kitties Black and Gray"

Done! I am pretty sure I enjoy those belly rubs as much as she does! Smile

Hope she feels better soon![/QUOTE]

Thanks skins for that.

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Ask about the metacam when you get a chance. It will help with pain, which is good, but almost more importantly it's an NSAID (like ibuprofen) that is safe for the kitteh's liver, so it will help with inflammation. This in turn will help with joint mobility and decrease negative inflammatory mediators in the joint, making for a "healthier" joint environment while healing. Smile

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I told my wife about the metacam and she mentioned the vet said it can be hard on kidneys.
The vet manipulated the knee yesterday and it did not seem to cause her much pain.

she is pretty much stationary 90% of the time. She can move, but she is limited and does limp.

Not sure but think much of the inflammation from the injury has gone down since it happened about six days ago.

I appreciate you expertise and willingness to share it.