SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boeing 787 makes radar track that looks like...a 787!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boeing 787 makes radar track that looks like...a 787! Login/Join 
posted

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Boeing has been doing things like this for a while. I like it. If you have to be up for 16 or 18 hours why not do something cool instead of just boring holes in the sky?

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've done this in the Coast Guard for years, just make sure you clear out the chart plotter before command sees it, or don't sign it, even if it looks life like....

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slow news day, ehh?

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What a waste of fuel

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
That's kind of my thought. While very cool seems like a HUGE waste of fuel. Also was this a flight with folks on board or just a joyride / training thing. I haven't had time to read the whole article so that question may be answered later when I can read it.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
What a waste of fuel

I agree, although boeing claims it was an "endurance test"

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to do these flight plans, they're tests that they have to do over land so might as well have some fun with it.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matai:
I used to do these flight plans, they're tests that they have to do over land so might as well have some fun with it.
That's it. They didn't burn any more fuel than they would have had to otherwise. Might as well have some fun with it. At least they traced a flight path that I can show the kids, unlike some others I have seen! Eek

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Endurance testing. Boeing is not so frivolous as to burn 18 hours of Jet A just for grins. They needed to do the test, and figured they might as well do something other than fly in a giant circle.

Jet A costs an average of $5.71 a gallon. A 787 burns about 5600 kilos of fuel an hour. Jet A weighs about 6.79 pounds per gallon. It is an 18 hour flight. After the arithmetic, that is something like $180,000 in fuel. They wouldn't burn that just for a corporate joke. This is a public company.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's the kind of thing I would expect from kids in high school. Do your endurance testing, but don't come across to the public like frivolous children in charge of daddy's company for the day.

Maybe the first snow day they get this winter, they can all go outside and piss their names into the snow. Wouldn't that be so cool? Yeah, that would be SO cool, and then and then oohh I know! And then, we could put it on facebook! That would be SO COOL!!!!

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Lucky for Boeing that you're not buying jets.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I'm in love with the Dreamliner. If you ever have to fly LAX-Dublin-Addis Ababa and back in economy, may you ride in a Dreamliner.

Posts: 18067 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Endurance testing. Boeing is not so frivolous as to burn 18 hours of Jet A just for grins. They needed to do the test, and figured they might as well do something other than fly in a giant circle....

"The flight was part of the last phases of certification tests of the upgraded Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 TEN engine for the 787 family...."

Complete article:

http://aviationweek.com/awinco...light-path-across-us

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Lucky for Boeing that you're not buying jets.
Actually, if I were, this kind of juvenile nonsense would make me take a look at AirBus.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I'm in love with the Dreamliner. If you ever have to fly LAX-Dublin-Addis Ababa and back in economy, may you ride in a Dreamliner.

I flew on a new 787 Oakland to Oslo with Norwegian Air. Very smooth and quite. I didn't use earplugs. Nice ride.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
At this scale, it looks like there are right angles. What is the actual radius at the "right angles"?

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't use earplugs. Nice ride.

Right? Had my noise-cancelling Bose plugs and never felt the need. I also like the overhead baggage compartments: carry-ons go on their side, you can get 2-3 times as many bags. On our full flight, everyone had plenty of overhead space.

Posts: 18067 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
This past week I flew on a 787 from SFO to London Heathrow. What a great ride. I have worked on numerous projects related to manufacturing of various bits and parts for this plane and it was nice to get to try her out.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It's the kind of thing I would expect from kids in high school. Do your endurance testing, but don't come across to the public like frivolous children in charge of daddy's company for the day.

How many professional pilots do you know? Things of this nature is is normal behavior for many! Big Grin

When someone asks if she has any children, Mrs. 'Hook always responds "Yes, I have an 11-year-old" and points to me. I've always thought being a rated pilot meant having a license to never grow up.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post