SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It’s Time for Bill to Go and Take a Walk in the Chappaqua woods.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It’s Time for Bill to Go and Take a Walk in the Chappaqua woods. Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
It’s 2018. One of the world’s most powerful married men had a 22-year-old intern perform oral sex on him in his office. He’s been accused of sexual assault by three other women. One claims, as is the case with so many of the men who have fallen from positions of power as a result, that he exposed himself to her (which always makes me, at least, pause and wonder why on earth so many men seem to want to do this). We know, too, that he lied about his tryst with the intern.

So why is Bill Clinton still presiding over glamorous parties?

When Monica Lewinsky was disinvited from a Town & Country Philanthropy Summit earlier this month where Bill Clinton was speaking, the question shouldn’t have been why was she disinvited. It should have been why is Bill Clinton is headlining events at all.

And boy, is he ever. Clinton has a full social schedule this summer. In June he’ll be publicizing his book “The President is Missing” along with his co-author James Patterson all across the country. He’ll also make time to host the Clinton Foundation dinner, where tickets range from $2,500 to $100,000 and Shaggy and Sting are scheduled to perform.

Again, he’s almost certainly guilty of actions that would be categorized as harassment in 2018. The fact that the Lewinsky affair happened as long ago as 1995 is no matter.

Charlie Rose is accused of harassment by several employees dating back to the late 1990s — and he lost his job in November.

People seem curiously willing to hold Clinton to a different standard than other men accused of sexual harassment. Many don’t seem especially bothered by his actions at all and lay the blame for the scandal squarely on Lewinsky. In a 2014 Economist/YouGov poll, 58 percent of those surveyed had a favorable opinion of Bill Clinton. Meanwhile, 48 percent had an unfavorable opinion of Lewinsky.

As recently as 2016, the very liberal Joy Behar was dismissing the women who slept with Clinton as “tramps” on “The View.” Not that much has changed since the period in the ’90s when Maureen Dowd dismissed Lewsinky as being “nutty and slutty” and “a ditsy, predatory White House intern who might have lied under oath for a job at Revlon.”

A Rasmussen Reports poll taken in November 2017, a month after the #MeToo movement began, found that 59 percent of people believe the accusations against Bill Clinton. But you wouldn’t know it from the way he’s being treated.

For some time, Lewinsky, who has emerged as a thoughtful anti-bullying advocate, said her relationship with Clinton was consensual. Still, it’s reasonable to wonder precisely how consensual a relationship can be between the leader of the free world and an intern.

Like many of us in light of the #MeToo movement, Lewsinky has recently been considering the nature of consent. Recently, in Vanity Fair, Lewinsky claimed that the past years have made her rethink the dynamics between her and Clinton. While still remorseful about her actions, she described his behavior as a “gross abuse of power.”

Some will contend that Lewsinky came on to Clinton, but there’s no argument wherein we can deny she was his employee.

As for Lewinsky’s supposed seductiveness — plenty of 22-year-old women get crushes on their married older bosses. Plenty of married older bosses are man enough, and professional enough, to politely decline. Barack Obama’s personal life was notably scandal-free during his presidency, and it seems hard to believe that no young woman ever propositioned him.

In her Vanity Fair article, Lewinsky wrote of Clinton: “He was my boss. He was the most powerful man on the planet. He was 27 years my senior, with enough life experience to know better.”

Men in similar positions to Clinton’s — even very liberal men — have been correctly and swiftly pushed to the sidelines by defenders of the #MeToo movement. Sen. Al Franken resigned after pictures of him pretending to grope a woman in 2006 emerged. After lewd allegations against comedian Louis C.K. surfaced, FX cut ties with him. New York’s Attorney General Eric Schneiderman resigned within hours of being accused of abusive behavior by four women and was yelled at by TV host Samantha Bee in the process.

It’s not hard to find worse men than Bill Clinton of course (Harvey Weinstein). It’s not even hard to find worse men named Bill (here’s looking at you, Cosby). But there’s a big difference between “not being the worst man in the world” and “being a guest of honor in an age where women are speaking out against assaulters like you.”

If Democrats want to hold Donald Trump accountable for his alleged misconduct, and we should, then we have to hold Democrats accountable, as well. Sexual harassment isn’t an important issue because it serves as leverage against another party. It’s important because it destroys women’s lives and careers. At least in Lewsinky’s case, we know the fallout from the affair rendered her suicidal. But Clinton seemed to go blithely on, largely beloved in spite of the way he abused his power.

Maybe this is the year we say enough. After 20 years, it’s time for Bill to go and take a long walk in the Chappaqua woods.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
When you, or your wife, own a political party, Democratic Party, you set your own rules, whereby half the population blindly leads. Until someone buys the party away that's just the way it's going to be.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I've realized long ago the Clinton's will pay for no misdeeds or crimes they have committed on this earth. I believe there is a whole different kind of hell waiting for them and I am determined to live long enough to see them on their way there.

For now I take solace in knowing their lives on this planet are not happy lives and they know it.
They are totally consumed by power and money and there is never enough of either. They will pursue both like like a blood hound and like the blood hound who never finds the source of his scent dies unsatisfied in the chase.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I've realized long ago the Clinton's will pay for no misdeeds or crimes they have committed on this earth. I believe there is a whole different kind of hell waiting for them and I am determined to live long enough to see them on their way there.

For now I take solace in knowing their lives on this planet are not happy lives and they know it.
They are totally consumed by power and money and there is never enough of either. They will pursue both like like a blood hound and like the blood hound who never finds the source of his scent dies unsatisfied in the chase.

I don't believe the Clinton's have even begun to pay the dues they owe.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mark 8:36 King James Version (KJV)

36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:

36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

That verse very well fits the Clintons. Sadly, it fits an awful lot of people in our society they sacrifice character and honor for temporary things of the world.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Barack Obama’s personal life was notably scandal-free during his presidency...
Was that because it was actually scandal free, 'or', because the media were completely unwilling to even consider anything negative regarding their 'boy'.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Was that because it was actually scandal free, 'or', because the media were completely unwilling to even consider anything negative regarding their 'boy'.
Wouldn't his own personal sexual aberration tend to prevent usual sex scandals?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I hear of his having a speaking engagement every once in a blue moon, but you don't really hear of him in the news much anymore. Some would say that, for a narcissist of his caliber, relative obscurity is a form of punishment in and of itself. Personally, I think that means that he's got plenty of free time to address these issues and that this is a golden opportunity for him to burnish his legacy by standing up and showing a new generation of young progressive men what responsibility and masculinity are all about in the 21st Century. For the sake of Bill Clinton's place in American history, bring on the first witness.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:

Bullseye. Trump can't step on a crack in the sidewalk without the media stirring up a stink. Obama and the Clintons could blow up the sidewalk, the media would either ignore it, or explain that it was the right thing to do.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:

Sums it up perfectly and accurately.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Why aren't Clinton and Cosby sharing a cell? It would serve them both right!

Posts: 6470 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
The left has double standards for their favored guy/gal.

Getting worked up about what they do or not do doesn't faze me anymore.

They're evil through and through.

Once you accept that, nothing they do can surprise you.

Heck, it doesn't even anger me any longer.

Evil is as evil does.

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Bill Clinton had sex with a woman 27 years his junior and never paid her a penny. She was shamed by Hillary and most women at the time.

Donald J Trump allegedly/probably had sex with a woman younger than himself and paid her a large sum of money. Because he is hatred by the left, he is castigated as if he were evil incarnate.

The difference between the two women before all this happened is, the first was an unpaid intern and the second was a woman who openly had sex with others for huge sums of money.

What did I miss?

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post