SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The wild, Wild West - West Memphis AR police chase today.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The wild, Wild West - West Memphis AR police chase today. Login/Join 
posted
I met this one as I was coming westbound today. Massive traffic pile up. Ambulance hadn’t arrived yet.

West Memphis never fails to disappoint- they’ve had some of the wildest shootouts I’ve ever heard of for as long as I can remember.

http://wreg.com/2018/05/21/ark...-active-crime-scene/

WEST MEMPHIS, Ark. — A robbery suspect is dead after officers shot him at the tail-end of a pursuit Monday evening, the West Memphis Police Department confirmed.

The suspect, who is believed to have stolen from a Walmart, crashed a black Nissan into a fuel tanker on I-40 near mile-marker 280 around 5 p.m. while fleeing officers.

Police said officers fired at the suspect at one point, but it isn't clear if the suspect died from gunshots or from the crash.

“As I followed the cars up ahead, it looks like that the cops had spun him out on the interstate," said Blake Walpole, who saw officers pursuing the suspect onto Interstate 40.
Walpole said the suspect began driving the wrong way, weaving in and out of oncoming traffic before striking a fuel tanker on the shoulder.

Police told WREG the suspect had attempted to run over officers.

“As the chase was in pursuit, he tried to go on the shoulder of the interstate next to an 18-wheeler and crashed straight into the side of this 18-wheeler," said Walpole.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm.... NOPD and others in Louisiana were looking for a serial robber who was hitting Wal-Marts. Same dude, I wonder?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
WEST MEMPHIS, Ark

'nuf said

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Indeed. Truly the armpit of the state.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig M11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by dusty3030:
WEST MEMPHIS, Ark

'nuf said

Rough neighborhood....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F_pY47hE5U

Posts: 1406 | Location: Wilmington, Delaware | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Seems appropriate.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
West Memphis' violent crime rate is 237% higher than the Arkansas average.

They're routinely towards the top of the list of most violent cities in the county. For last year, they were #10 in violent crime rate per capita.

(They were just narrowly beat out by neighboring Memphis, TN, which was #9.)

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

(They were just narrowly beat out by neighboring Memphis, TN, which was #9.)

Memphis being about a bazillion times larger,

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dad lived there for a couple years while running a construction job. He did not mind it there as much as most any large city in New Jersey that he worked in.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Indeed. Truly the armpit of the state.

Such harshness... They are just trying to be like their big brother across the river.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no one else thought of migulito lovless ?
no one ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nissan into a fuel tanker

Which way were they shooting?

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Hmmm.... NOPD and others in Louisiana were looking for a serial robber who was hitting Wal-Marts. Same dude, I wonder?

My guess is no. Pretty sure that guy was one of our locals who is now in custody down there somewhere.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I hate chases. NC SHP lost a trooper last night during a chase 5 miles from where I grew up. Wrecked and his car burst into flames. 24 years old.

I had a stolen car run from me today. By policy I couldn’t chase it. I was ok with that.

I do wish we had guided missiles we could launch at fleeing vehicles. That would end that problem very quickly.

And before you call me nuts, consider the alternative. Officers and innocent citizens getting killed, or suspects knowing they can get away because an agency won’t allow chases.

Or *boom*.

The SCOTUS has very clearly ruled, consistently, that we may use deadly force to end high speed pursuits.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post