SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Texas law allows knives, swords in public places
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Texas law allows knives, swords in public places Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
A new Texas law makes it legal for anyone to walk down the street carrying a sword or even a machete.

House Bill 1935 was recently signed into law, and starting September 1, long knives, daggers and even spears can legally be taken into public.

The author of the bill, Representative John Frullo said its main purpose is to simplify the laws pertaining to knives and to limit their restrictions.

“Accidents happen and people misuse things. So any of that can apply to a knife just as well as it could to a gun," said Mike Clark with Collectors Firearms.

Any blade over 5.5 inches, which is currently illegal, can be carried in public by law. That includes daggers, spears, swords, Bowie knives, and even machetes.

“But I don’t think you’re going to see a lot of it. People aren't going to use these big knives. They’re cumbersome. You don’t want to walk around with one of those every day. But if you want to, it’s your right," Clark said.

The only places they won’t be allowed include schools, bars, hospitals and churches.

Clark said most of these knives are used for hunting and fishing, but some people buy them for self-defense.

However, locals aren’t so sure.

“What would be the purpose like, are you trying to work out with it? What are you trying to do with it, besides intimidate?” said Nadia Cousins.

Some say they may need to be the ones who need the protection.

“Even if the person was no threat, I would automatically start assuming and starting to kind of look at the situation," said Mark Cousins.

Representative Frullo also said as a business owner, you are allowed to post signs prohibiting anyone from bringing a knife on your property.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great. Crocodile Dundee will be legal in Texas. Seriously, if I see someone carrying a machete, and I don't spot a stack of sugar cane, I am headed the other way with my head on a swivel. Approach me with it in your hand, and things are going to go south in a hurry.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Just got myself a nice Bowie in honor of this as, they have been illegal to carry since 1871 I believe.

Now it will sit in the case with some of the others I've collected since I was given my first pocket knive at age 10. It's just to dang big to carry!

Besides, as it is said, don't bring a knife...

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
That would have been nice about 10 years ago when I got arrested for having an 9 inch bladed knife in my backseat, with all the rest of my tactical gear, when I got pulled over for a random inspection when re-entering Ft. Hood.

I can carry a machinegun and grenade launcher, and a damn 6 inch bladed bayonet, on their time, but god forbid I had my own knife on my own time. Roll Eyes

It was a BK9: https://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-...-Fixed/dp/B001IPKL7I

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
North Carolina allows for the open carry of any legal weapon, so long as you are not carrying it in order to terrify or alarm the public. Local jurisdictions may have their own ordinances prohibiting certain items.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I could see this in a situation where a Texas citizen wished to carry a pig sticker in his boot, as a last ditch effort to survive if his gun failed to protect him from illegal lethal force. Why not ? Viable in that situation ? IDK, I've never received any hand to hand training. But yea, it's nice to be allowed to be stupid. But as a previous poster said, if a dude is walking down the street with a machete, and he doesn't have a stack of sugar cane on his head, I'm heading in the opposite direction pdq.

I've always wanted to carry a knife in a boot as a SD backup, but it's not legal where I live unfortunately. I think any legal folder is much slower than any fixed blade.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
North Carolina allows for the open carry of any legal weapon, so long as you are not carrying it in order to terrify or alarm the public. Local jurisdictions may have their own ordinances prohibiting certain items.

That was another problem. Every little podunk town had their own peculiar set of these. Drive up I-35 and violate diffent ordinances and laws every time you hit city limits. This prohibits cities from making their own rules on knives. Crocodile Dundee would be at home everywhere!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Crockodile Dundee would be at home everywhere!

I believe I spotted a typographical error hear.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Good. Maybe samurai swords will make a comeback.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

I hear ok, but I need to learn to twype.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dresden:
Great. Crocodile Dundee will be legal in Texas. Seriously, if I see someone carrying a machete, and I don't spot a stack of sugar cane, I am headed the other way with my head on a swivel. Approach me with it in your hand, and things are going to go south in a hurry.

And how does a law (or lack thereof) change that? Before it was legal would you have been fine with someone approaching you with a machete in their hand?

Are you worried about a crazy influx of machete and sword carrying people sans sugar cane and without a medieval festival in sight?

Me, I couldn't care less what inanimate objects the .gov decides to issue a permission-slip for. I'm fine with them just butting out all together and instead focusing on the things people do to each other as opposed to what they may carry going about their lawful business.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
a boot knife requires you to tuck your pantsleg in your boot to access it anything approaching quick. I guess walking around like Crocodile Dundee and Roy Rogers is okay for some, but unless you are literally a pig sticker, a long blade won't do much more damage than a shorter one. A spear, though, a great, big, hairy Spartan spear, well, that's another thing. Big Grin

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
When I find a Valyrian steel blade, I'll be good to go with that.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah, maybe we need more of those s-e-n-s-i-b-l-e gun knife laws. Frown

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:

That was another problem. Every little podunk town had their own peculiar set of these. Drive up I-35 and violate diffent ordinances and laws every time you hit city limits. This prohibits cities from making their own rules on knives. Crocodile Dundee would be at home everywhere!

As I recall, Virginia had an interesting case some years ago regarding local jurisdictions putting regulations in place that exceeded the state regs.

In that case I believe it had to do with firearms, but the principle would seem to be the same for knives.

State law trumps local regulations.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:

Francis, please lighten up a bit.

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

I hear ok, but I need to learn to twype.

I guess that Depends on whether you meant type or wipe. Big Grin

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Has anybody got Hatori Hanzo's number ? Need to get some new steel.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:

Kamikaze attacks using airboats? Now that's a divine wind.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post