SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Winter Wheels for my new car?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winter Wheels for my new car? Login/Join 
Life's a Dance
Picture of daoliver
posted
I have some Blizzak Tires and according to Tirerack they will fit as a downsized tire on my new CR-V i have never done downsizing and wonder how buying new wheels will affect my vehicle?

Looks like they will all require centering rings.

Any advice is appreciated as i know little about these things.

I’ll be your Huckleberry
SP2022, G27, 870P

Posts: 505 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
We run Blizaaks on the wife's CR-v and my pilot. Run them on the standard wheels...zero issues.

It IS easier with a spare set of wheels, I do that on the Camaro with the summer performance tires and my "rest of the year" all season. Spare wheels ARE nice , but yet again...something else to find room for.

Are You talking about running SMALLER tires than normal? Or OEM sized blizzaks?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Yep, get some oem steelies.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's a Dance
Picture of daoliver
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are You talking about running SMALLER tires than normal?

Yes the tires i currently own were used one winter on my previous 2008 Escape. No that i have the CR-V according to Tirerack they will fit as a downsized tire with a new wheel. Just wondering on peoples experience with that. When they were on my escape i did the same as you and just switched the tires out.

I’ll be your Huckleberry
SP2022, G27, 870P

Posts: 505 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
It's common to go down 1" in diameter and sometimes 10 mm narrower for winter tires. You need be sure the brake rotors/calipers will clear (likely fine) and the rolling diameter is close to stock (taller aspect ratio; ie, 215/70 vs 225/60)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aileron,

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes I do this on my cars

205 50 16 to a winter 195 60 15

same rollout so the speedometer reads correctly narrow tire cuts through the slush and snow better rather than floating on top like a snow shoe.

the trade off is that the tire is a little more squishey and floaty due to the narrow and taller tire but slow down abit and enjoy the improved snow ability

I've been using this for years

Posts: 206 | Location: CT. | Registered: March 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
The higher sidewall on a tire that has roughly the same outer diameter, but smaller wheel, is also helpful for the potholes that tend to pop up in the winter months.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Real winter tires are usually narrower and taller,ask the Swedes and Finns and what they fit their winter rallye cars.

Posts: 2302 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
No one asked, but "THE BEST" winter tires are Nokian Hakkapelitta's. We have Blizzaks one one car, Hankook i*Pike on another, and Hakka's on the third - no comparison to the 'kooks or blizzaks. When we wear out the blizzaks they will be replaced with Nokians. Hakkas are expensive, but so are sheet metal and body shop deductibles. For some reason not available at Tire Rack. ??

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post